PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Question

Michaelwagner
2005-11-04, 19:59
Sorry, most people probably won't care about this, but there isn't a more suitable forum ...

Does anything about the SB care if I tie the power ground of 2 units together? Would anything bad happen?

Does anything care if I power 2 units off one 5V power supply (not the supplied one, obviously)?

Are the two RCA output (left and right) jackets (i.e. outer connecter of the coaxial connector) tied together?

Are they tied to power ground?

Can the output float? Can it drive a balanced output?

If the answers differ between/amongst SB flavours, please tell me that too.

If you need an explanation for the questions, I can provide that. I just didn't want to bog down the list with a long thing that's probably not of interest to most.

Michael

seanadams
2005-11-04, 20:35
Sorry, most people probably won't care about this, but there isn't a more suitable forum ...

>> Does anything about the SB care if I tie the power ground of 2 units together?

No

>> Would anything bad happen?

No

>> Does anything care if I power 2 units off one 5V power supply (not the supplied one, obviously)?

No problem - actually the included supply does have just enough power to run two units.

>> Are the two RCA output (left and right) jackets (i.e. outer connecter of the coaxial connector) tied together?

Yes

>> Are they tied to power ground?

To the DC plug, yes, but the power supplies float relative to earth ground. If you use two units on one PS then their RCAs will share a ground reference, which may not be what you want.

>> Can the output float?

Normally yes, they're floating because the PS and ethernet connections are galvanically isolated.

>> Can it drive a balanced output?

No

>> If the answers differ between/amongst SB flavours, please tell me that too.

This applies to all models past and present.

>> If you need an explanation for the questions, I can provide that. I just didn't want to bog down the list with a long thing that's probably not of interest to most.

No problem - you may want to tell us what the goal is here so we can advise better. The setup you're describing will work, but you may be introducing undesirable ground loop paths.

Michaelwagner
2005-11-04, 20:58
No problem - actually the included supply does have just enough power to run two units.Oh, that's something to keep in mind, thanks.

>> Are they tied to power ground?

To the DC plug, yes, but the power supplies float relative to earth ground. If you use two units on one PS then their RCAs will share a ground reference, which may not be what you want.May or may not be a problem - they'd be going into a common mixer.

This applies to all models past and present.SLiMP3 too?

you may want to tell us what the goal is here so we can advise betterYou probably remember that I DJ (I bring it up often enough :-) ). I want to make a small briefcase system for when I drop in somewhere and people ask me to play since I'm here anyways.

I'm trying to balance a few different considerations.
It would probably consist of a slug, a slim or two, a hub, a hard disk and a laptop. Everything but the laptop would go in a lunch box.
I want it light and small because I'm carrying it around.
This means, the fewer wall warts the better. The damned wall warts weigh more than the items in question.
I'd even consider dumping all the wall warts in the east river in favour of a single old skool transformer, 5V regulator, capacitor, etc. So I'm out shopping for hubs selecting by their voltage (driving the store ppl nuts). Not that the transformer is light, but it's lighter than 4 wall warts.
A DJ environment is electrically noisy. Wireless microphones, longwire antennae disguised as unshielded speaker wire, dimmers for the lights in the room, etc. Now add a half dozen chopper style wall warts. I'd like to cut down on my contribution to the hash, not the least reason being that I can hear it myself and it bugs me.

The setup you're describing will work, but you may be introducing undesirable ground loop paths.Exactly. I'm trying to avoid them where possible. That's why I was asking where do I have flexibility (and why I was asking about balanced outputs).