PDA

View Full Version : This is getting frustrating - MORE problems with reading files with 6.2

Cleve
2005-11-04, 15:42
Well, I thought I'd solved my problems with reading files by simplifying my directory structure. However, I copied some more CDs to my HDD this afternoon, and problems cropped up again.

I copied two Talking Heads CDs to my HDD. If you open "Windows Explorer" attachement, it's a screen capture of "My Music" folder showing the way the directory is arranged. Quite innocuous - Talking Heads looks the same as the other folders

"Slimserver3.jpg" shows how the two albums appear in the Slimserver interface. Everything looks ok - no odd ASCII characters or anything to gum up the works

"Slimserver2.jpg" is yet another view of the directory in Slimserver. Nothing looks unusual about this structure - at least to me.

"Slimserver.jpg" gets to the heart of the problem. Here I've opened "Speaking in Tongues" and all the tracks appear as available. Yet only track 1, Burning Down the House is available to play. The OTHER 8 songs will NOT play via Slimserver. Here, I took a screenshot after attempting to play "Girlfriend is Better" Slimserver returns a message "Stopped". On the Squeezebox itself, the display reads "Problem reading file" or something to that effect.

The files play just fine, though, via iTunes and Winamp, so the files aren't corrupt. This is VERY annoying - this seems like a very straightforward request of the Slimserver software

Ben Sandee
2005-11-04, 15:53
On 11/4/05, Cleve <Cleve.1xzuwz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Well, I thought I'd solved my problems with reading files by simplifying
> my directory structure. However, I copied some more CDs to my HDD this
> afternoon, and problems cropped up again.
>

Your attachment doesn't go very far in describing the problem you are having
(as in, not at all). You should probably provide a few more details.
Ben

NÚstor
2005-11-04, 16:18
Have you tried (just as a test) extracting the files exactly in the same way but with a different ending format, lets say mp3, to see if the problem persists? That could help isolate the problem or point you in the right direction.

Cleve
2005-11-04, 17:30
Have you tried (just as a test) extracting the files exactly in the same way but with a different ending format, lets say mp3, to see if the problem persists? That could help isolate the problem or point you in the right direction.

Nestor, this was a good suggestion. I deleted the album in question, and re-ripped it as .WAV files. I moved the album folder to where the previous folder had been. Interestingly, these .WAV files played fine, and Slimserver had no issues.

However, as a check, I deleted the album for a second time, and re-ripped as .AIFF files, and then moved the new album folder back into the same location in "My Music" Once AGAIN, Slimserver will not play 8 of the 9 tracks.

Yet AIFF is supposed to be one of the supported file types? There seems to be a serious issue with the Slimserver software.

NÚstor
2005-11-04, 18:08
This may be a serious issue, but it may be quickly fixed.

Use http://bugs.slimdevices.com to create a bug report, and upload all the info you have, the more complete you can.

I have had different issues using SlimServer, and everytime I found what I thought was a bug, I opened a report. I dont think even one of those issues was left unresolved. Sometimes its really fast, sometimes it takes a little time, but its worth.

Cleve
2005-11-05, 11:57
Ok, I *did* find a workaround for this problem. Out of the 45 albums I ripped into uncompressed AIFF files, I discovered there were 5 albums in which the songs would not all play in Squeezbox.

So, I did an experiment - I deleted the albums in question, and reimported them, but first in iTunes advanced options for importing, I UN-checked the option "Create Filenames with Track Number".

That worked - now all the tracks in the affected albums are available. Unfortunately, the album tracks for that album are not in sequence - I'm not sure how to fix THAT problem. Sigh!

NÚstor
2005-11-05, 15:34
Ok, I *did* find a workaround for this problem. Out of the 45 albums I ripped into uncompressed AIFF files, I discovered there were 5 albums in which the songs would not all play in Squeezbox.

So, I did an experiment - I deleted the albums in question, and reimported them, but first in iTunes advanced options for importing, I UN-checked the option "Create Filenames with Track Number".

That worked - now all the tracks in the affected albums are available. Unfortunately, the album tracks for that album are not in sequence - I'm not sure how to fix THAT problem. Sigh!

Hi, I dont use iTunes, but I guess if you dont use that option, the file names will not start with a number, so Slimserver will not be able to order your songs in the album order, but just in plain alphabetical order with the _name_ of the song (I dont think you can tag AIFF files internally either).

I would try to find a pattern for the songs/albums that dont work in your original case: album + song name length? any special feature all those songs share? any difference in file extension?, etc...

I dont use AIFF (just FLAC, and very ocasionally mp3) but I had never encountered this issue with my files.

Try to get a pattern for the files, and open a bug report if its something you think its a bug.

Regards