PDA

View Full Version : Help mounting a SB3 into a wall

Kenr
2005-11-03, 23:45
We are in the mist of redoing our master bath. I want to install a SB3 in the wall. The unit looks like it is slim enough to fit with a 2x4 stud but I am concerned about how to finish it off. Is there a way to build a trim piece that would go around the bends of the sb and provide a casing for sheetrock. I suspect this is done all the time for custom car installs.

thanks
Ken

Dave Strickler
2005-11-05, 12:48
I am gong to go through the same install in a few months, so if I hear of anything in the mean time, I will keep you posted.

Dave Strickler
MailWise LLC
617-933-5810 (direct)
www.mailwise.com
"Intelligent E-mail Protection"

>>> Kenr.1xympb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com 1:45:23 AM Friday, November 04, 2005 >>>

We are in the mist of redoing our master bath. I want to install a SB3
in the wall. The unit looks like it is slim enough to fit with a 2x4
stud but I am concerned about how to finish it off. Is there a way to
build a trim piece that would go around the bends of the sb and provide
a casing for sheetrock. I suspect this is done all the time for custom
car installs.

thanks
Ken

--
Kenr

hashref
2005-11-05, 13:52
I'll be doing the same as well. Reference this image: http://www.slimdevices.com/images/gallery/2.jpg
I'll probably add an extra stud to secure the sb on both sides. Notice how in the image the curves wrap around from the display/brushed_metal and then meets the plastic casing? I'm thinking about mounting the unit so that its about 1/8" deeper than the drywall. Then I'll use the plaster mesh tape, and then plaster around the unit so that the plastic casing is hidden. I'll definitely be tapeing up the front of the display to avoid scratching the unit.

As I've been typing this I have been thinking of other ways. Like framing the unit. Maybe I'll make a stainless steel frame for it. Stainless steel sheets are not really that expensive so I may buy a 1' x 1' similar to what you can find here. -> https://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml

I'm just not sure how it will look since there is already brushed stainless steel on the unit. Maybe it would be better to hide everything but the display and then frame that.

or... heh.. what about making a frame out an 1/8" sheet of wood. That way you could cut and sand it to form the same curves of the squeeze box on all four corners. Then get some of that U shaped molding to wrap around the cutout, mount to studs, and plaster over the wood.

Man, you got me going on this. Think I'll just wait to decide until the drywall is ready to go up.

What ever I do, I'll try to remember to post pics of the progress and not be wired on coffee when I do.

What are your ideas?

Kenr
2005-11-06, 21:59
Let's stay in touch. I have a couple of months before it gets mounted

geoffb
2005-11-07, 09:21
On 11/5/05, hashref <hashref.1y1kho (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> As I've been typing this I have been thinking of other ways. Like
> framing the unit. Maybe I'll make a stainless steel frame for it.
> Stainless steel sheets are not really that expensive so I may buy a 1'
> x 1' plate such as the one here. ->
> https://www.metalsdepot.com/Cart3/viewCart1.phtml?LimAcc=$LimAcc&aident=

That's the thing that struck me about the new design - all the plugs
are pointing straight out of the back of the unit. It's crying out
for a hot-plug wall plate/frame; if you could mount the plugs securely
and tidily, you could pull the SB3 right out of the frame, and plug it
in to another frame somewhere (the patio, bathroom, etc). It would
look clean in an elite, snobbish kind of way, and could even be
mounted into a boombox type device.

That said, I'm not adept enough at metalwork to do this blind, but
would be really interested if someone else managed it, and was kind