PDA

View Full Version : Multiple versions of slimserver

Nikhil
2005-11-03, 18:09
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, and its likely that someone might have posted a similar question before, but I was unable to find the answer, so sorry if this is a stupid question or a repeat question.

My main slimserver is version 6.1.1 running of a Buffalo 250GB LinkStation. I have been tempted to upgrade to version 6.2, but I thought it would be prudent to wait till it has been tested more thoroughly and all the kinks ironed out. So in the interim, I installed version 6.2.1 on my Mac and PC, so I could test it with the local files on those machines. When I connected the v6.2.1 server on my mac with my SB2, it prompted me to update the firmware. After a quick firmware update, the files from the Mac seemed to be playing great, but when I wanted to return to my original 6.1.1 server on the LinkStation, it is prompting me to upgrade again. I am a little confused at this point and I have a few questions:

1) Is it trying to downgrade the firmware back to an older version?
2) Will this fry my SB2 (I ham a bit paranoid because I have seen some very expensive biomedical hardware react quite adversely to attempted firware downgrades)
3) Am I going to have to keep switching firmwares as I switch servers?
4) Am I going to have to upgrade the server on my linkstation or alternatively downgrade the slimservers on the Mac and Windoze machine?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Nikhil

------------------------------------

System:
Buffalo Linkstation 250GB with Slimserver 6.1.1, EAC secure ripped FLAC audio files
Squeezebox2
Cyrus CD8 CD Player with PSX-R Power Supply
Cyrus 8 Integrated Amplifier with PSX-R Power Supply
Cyrus DAC-X
Dynaudio Audience 52SE Speakers

kdf
2005-11-03, 18:17
Quoting Nikhil <Nikhil.1xy6yn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> 1) Is it trying to downgrade the firmware back to an older version?

yes, that is correct. The firmware is often closely related to features in
slimserver, so it is important to have the firmware to match the current
server.

> 2) Will this fry my SB2 (I ham a bit paranoid because I have seen some
> very expensive biomedical hardware react quite adversely to attempted
> firware downgrades)
I've done it many times, and so far so good. I'm sure SD would back their
product if you had any adverse affects during this process.

> 3) Am I going to have to keep switching firmwares as I switch servers?
unfortunately, yes.

> 4) Am I going to have to upgrade the server on my linkstation or
> alternatively downgrade the slimservers on the Mac and Windoze machine?
>
I wouldn't say you have to do either. I've been in situations where I've been
testing with two versions as well. going back and forth was something
I didn't
want to do ever few minutes, but it wasn't a problem. The firmware
updates take
a bit of time, but none of your settings should change and you should just
connect to the server again after a quick reboot of the Squeezebox

-kdf

gingerneil
2005-11-04, 01:15
bit of a hi-jack this...
but can you comment on the performance of the linkstation ?? How big is your library, do you stream to more than one SB at a time, was it easy to get up and running ??

Nikhil
2005-11-04, 06:27
KDF,

Thanks for the reply. Everything seems to be working fine now. It is a little inconvenient to keep switching firmware, but as long as it doesnt do any irreversible damage, it doesn't concern me too much.

Gingerneil,

The library on my linkstation contains about 3600 songs, most of these are secure EAC ripped FLAC files from standard redbook CDs, a couple are FLAC files extracted from 48KHz sources like LPCM DVD soundtracks/concerts, and then there are about 100 mp3s at 320kbps of stuff that I don't care too much about but like to have anyway. In any case, the point here is that all the files are in a format that the SB2 can natively decode, so no server side transcoding that might add to the load.

The Linkstation is the earlier generation version (I beleive it has a 200MHz PPC and 64MB RAM, please correct me if I am wrong). Firmware version is 1.44. It runs slimserver v6.1.1. With regards to performance, the setup is very usable. I have noticed the performance drop slightly as my library has grown, but it hasn't reached a point where it is an annoyance. It does take a few seconds to respond at initial start up, and sometimes while browsing or searching the library it tends to pause for a few seconds, but all this is orders of magnitude better than physically searching for discs and changing them in the player. With regards to the audio, I have seen a pause maybe a 3-4 times over the past few months (I use it everyday so thats a lot of play time). If I think about it, the speed of the interface is quite comparable to my fully loaded 2nd generation 20GB iPod, so as I said before, most usable. Unrelated to your question perhaps, but as I have said before, the audio quality (through my DAC of course) is virtually indistinguishable from fairly high end CD player.

Clearly not an apples to apples comparison, pardon the pun, but slimserver v6.2.1 running of my Mac Mini (1.42GHz PPC, 512MB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.3) is by comparison super zippy. All the commands respond instantly. The library is significantly larger here, it accesses the 3600 odd songs from the linkstation via SMB and also all the various formats in the local library (AAC, Apple Lossless and mp3 of various bitrates) so this server even has to do occasional transcoding. Startup seems to be instantaneous, as is access even to files physically located on the linkstation (so you can't blame linkstation sleep features or slow disc access rates for the performance loss in the earlier case; I think it only boils down to memory and perhaps a bit of processor power). On a side note, I have noted that there seems to be a large use of processor resources on the mac while the library is being updated (perl takes up upto 70% of the CPU time during library updates).

I will test the performance of my Windows laptop over the weekend and let you know how that compares.

Regds,

Nikhil