PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer 6.2/firmware 26 Wake on LAN - and staying awake...

getprogs
2005-11-03, 14:52
Cheers,

Being one of the first to applaude when we got the Wake on LAN functionality, I am a little puzzled by the behaviour of the latest release that I installed:
Previously when listening to a playlist that was actually an Internet radio everything worked fine, and when I finally powered off the Squeezebox 2 the PC would go into powersave after the specified (5 min.) time set through the OS (Windows XP).
Now, when playing the playlist, it seems like the PC no longer registers the connection from the SB2 and just goes into powersave - WHAT THE #"# CHANGED? Sorry for the capitalization, but having had a tough day @ work I was faced with my wifes wrath when returning home :-/
The same thing does NOT happen when playing one of my "standard" WMA files - then it happily keeps on playing, whats the difference??

getprogs
2005-11-03, 15:10
Having read the release notes for the second time, I noted it says:
"
WMA Support in Firmware - SB2/SB3
Streaming WMA radio stations and local files.
"

and since I stream:
http://<web-address>/e04ch10m?wmcontentbitrate=300000/.wma

it could be that the squeezebox does all the work, leaving the PC to believe that the client is shut down? Damn - if that is the case it is really anoying :-(

I can not force it to use the PC for this, can I?

kdf
2005-11-03, 15:13
Quoting getprogs <getprogs.1xxxxn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> The same thing does NOT happen when playing one of my "standard" WMA
> files - then it happily keeps on playing, whats the difference??
>
perhaps now that WMA is native, the internet radio is direct-streamed
to the SB2
and the server isn't seeing enough activity to keep the pc active?

-kdf

getprogs
2005-11-03, 15:24
but how do I make up for the missing activity? Would hate to be stuck with FW16 for the rest of the SB2s lifetime (or mine, whichever comes first...)

After all the SB2 finds out the server is missing sometime and stops playing - plus it is not that great that it has to wake up the server to for instance control the volume ;-)

kdf
2005-11-03, 15:33
Quoting getprogs <getprogs.1xxzbn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> but how do I make up for the missing activity? Would hate to be stuck
> with FW16 for the rest of the SB2s lifetime (or mine, whichever comes
> first...)
>
Have a browser open with the slimserver page open? That would refresh
status.html every 30 seconds.

There is also a setting in Performance called "keep unswapped
interval". Mainly
this is for MySQL users who have to keep the db connection alive, but if you
shortened that to less than teh default of 30 minutes, it might be enough
activity to keep the pc alive.

-kdf

getprogs
2005-11-04, 06:30
seems like the best solution - having a browser locally will not do the trick, having another PC started is not really an elegant solution and I still would like the PC to shut down when the SB2 is powered off.
The simplest solution would be to have the SB2 generate a small amount of keep-alive traffic to the server, for instance every 1 minute - how about that?

getprogs
2005-11-08, 07:53
Cheers,
What would it take to make the SB2 keep sending keep alive packets to the slimserver to prevent it from entering power save mode, when the SB2 is doing the WMA translation and no longer keeps the server awake with normal traffic (as in previous firmware versions). It can not be only I/me (delete as applicable) that is using the WOL feature in combination with a slimserver server that enters hibenation/standby if no activity from the SB is present?? The new firmware has made it impossible to use this setup, since the server shuts down and I then have to wake it up just to change the volume level... :-(

BR

bernt
2005-11-08, 07:57
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17891&page=2