PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded "Perl interpreter failed" error

ogontion
2005-11-03, 09:43
Hi,

I've searched this forum and noticed some other users suffering from this problem, or something close to it, but haven't really seen a fix, so I'm adding my name to the list:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Perl
interpreter failed.

I'm running Slimserver on a fairly clean Win2k03 server with SP1 installed. This error message appears a few times a day, even when the squeezebox is off. The slimserver service is running 24/7, and once in a while I have to restart the slim service after this error. This has happened with all versions of slimServer 6.x. I've just done a clean install of SlimServer 6.2 and this problem came back within 24 hours. Any ideas, or any suggestions on how to narrow this down.

Thanks

bishopdonmiguel
2005-11-03, 09:51
> I'm adding my name to the list

Welcome aboard the ship of 6.x Windows/Perl errors. I've posted several times about this very same problem and haven't got much back except silence... <crickets> <crickets>

I couldn't get any version of 6.x to work either. I've got a day job so after a few hours I had to give the debug work a miss and take a step back to 5.4.1, which works great with no pain whatsoever. I'd love to move to 6.x too, but until the bug gets identified and sorted out, I'd suggest you spare yourself some headache and go with 5.4.1.

max.spicer
2005-11-03, 11:26
Did you contact support directly or file a bug? This is the only official and guaranteed way to get your problems noted! Sure, a lot of people read these forums, but I'll bet they aren't given as much of SlimDevices' attention as the direct routes.

Max

> I'm adding my name to the list

Welcome aboard the ship of 6.x Windows/Perl errors. I've posted several times about this very same problem and haven't got much back except silence... <crickets> <crickets>

I couldn't get any version of 6.x to work either. I've got a day job so after a few hours I had to give the debug work a miss and take a step back to 5.4.1, which works great with no pain whatsoever. I'd love to move to 6.x too, but until the bug gets identified and sorted out, I'd suggest you spare yourself some headache and go with 5.4.1.

ogontion
2005-11-03, 11:35
Hmmm... That's too bad as I really like the new features with 6.x, and this is the only problem I'm having with it. I'll keep monitoring this error, but it typically happens when the squeezebox is off.

I can tell when it croaks as I can no longer see the 24-hr clock screensaver in my living room media cabinet. It doesn't seem to have any impact on my server. I was getting some "stop" errors on it, but found those to be caused by a boot drive glitch and was able to fix it "chkdsk /f".

No problems at all when it's churning out music for hours at a time with the "now playing" screen. I saw something about large fonts possibly having a connection to this, so I might try shrinking the clock or axing it all together, although this very feature has endeared the squeezebox to some otherwise resistant family members.

Regards

ogontion
2005-11-03, 11:36
Good point - I'll make it official.

Thanks

bishopdonmiguel
2005-11-03, 11:54
> I can tell when it croaks as I can no longer see the 24-hr clock screensaver in my living room media cabinet.

Does the service fail or does the program itself just stall? If the service is failing (stopping) you can set the recovery mode to restart automatically so you don't have to bother doing it yourself. There are several options under the service entry for this (first failure, second failure, subsequent failures), just set them all to restart. Of course, if the service is starting, failing, then restarting frequently, you might experience lots of CPU load issues which is why I couldn't leave 6.x installed.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-11-03, 12:04
> Did you contact support directly or file a bug?

I'd file a bug if I thought I could do so with some useful details. "Perl Interpreter Failed" is rather generic so I posted to this forum to get some advice on where to go next, but either this is such an infrequent issue so as to be below the radar, or there are bigger fish frys going on right now. What bothers me about the whole thing is on the same system with no changes to the operating system, file structure, security, etc., every version of 6.x fails but 5.4.1 works immediately without any problem. There is something about 6.x that's buggy despite it being the "officially" supported version.

Michaelwagner
2005-11-03, 19:26
File a bug with all the information you have, even if you think it's not enough.

The bug tracker gets in the face of the developers. This forum may or may not, depending on individual whim.

ogontion
2005-11-04, 08:08
I've filed the bug, and of course there hasn't been an incident in the last 24 hrs. When Perl thing happens it will just keep going until it completely stops slimserver and I manually restart the service.

>Of course, if the service is starting, failing, then restarting frequently, you might experience lots of CPU load issues which is why I couldn't leave 6.x installed.>

I have the service set to recover for all 3 attempts, and also reset the list after the 3rd attempt - but sometimes it just stops cold. As you say - all the recovery attempts could be overloading the processes.

Regards