PDA

View Full Version : iTunes tip

Lumsmore
2005-11-02, 19:52
I've been having some issues using my new SB2 with iTunes. The symptoms were slow menu responses, occasional pauses every 3 seconds in the middle of songs, CPU pegging at 90-100% and long delays when I press play on the remote and when the music would start playing.

It turns out that it was the combination of using both the iTunes and iTunes Update add-in with Smart Playlists. With this setup, the defaults will reload the entire iTunes library (and I've got about 3000 songs) whenever the library changes, which is, when you've got smart playlists that remove songs once you listened to them, the library was reloading after every song.

UPDATE to this entry 11/7/05
Fix #1 - Change the iTunes reload interval under server settings from the default of 30 to 3600 seconds. This means that the library will not reload more than once an hour.

Fix #2 - disable reload entirely by setting to 'zero' and turn on the reload plug in to reload at a specific time. (scroll down on the plugin page of the server settings to find this)

These are both mentioned in the READ.ME file of the iTunes Updater

Craig, James (IT)
2005-11-03, 01:57
Yes, I do mention this in the readme file that comes with the plugin -
but it seems no-one ever READS it!

Maybe I should just force a change to the rescan interval if it's set to
the default...

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

fuzzyT
2005-11-03, 08:23
Craig, James (IT) wrote:
> Yes, I do mention this in the readme file that comes with the plugin -
> but it seems no-one ever READS it!
>
> Maybe I should just force a change to the rescan interval if it's set to
> the default...

Yeah, and then document this change in the ReadMe!

--rt

allanimal
2005-11-03, 09:54
On 03 Nov 2005, at 09:57 , Craig, James (IT) wrote:

> Yes, I do mention this in the readme file that comes with the plugin -
> but it seems no-one ever READS it!
>
> Maybe I should just force a change to the rescan interval if it's
> set to
> the default...
>

If you are going to go to the effort, I would prefer a fixed rescan
time, rather than an interval. That way I can schedule it to always
be at 2:00 am instead of 24 hours after the last slimserver crash/
restart cycle, which is more likely to be when I am listening to music.

Allan

PS: Yes, I know you were making a joke.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-11-04, 02:27
But Allan you can already do this... Don't tell me you didn't read the
readme file!!!

Set the iTunes rescan interval to 0 (no rescan) and use the Rescan
plugin to set a fixed time daily rescan.

James

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Lumsmore
2005-11-04, 10:21
I went back and reread the readme, and sure enought this tip is in there, although it's not super clear for someone (me) who is new to all this. At the time I just trying to make sure I was doing everything right to get it to install properly! Maybe put a suggestion in the readme for a value to change the interval time to (again, at the time I had no idea what the 'interval time' setting did, so I was pretty hesitant to change it).

I've found that it's easy to unintentionally create a new iTunes playlist. Is there a way to turn off just this feature?

Otherwise, I have to say that your plug-in is THE reason I purchased a slimserver. Nice work.

allanimal
2005-11-04, 13:21
On 04 Nov 2005, at 18:21 , Lumsmore wrote:

>
> Otherwise, I have to say that your plug-in is THE reason I purchased a
> slimserver. Nice work.

I hope you didn't pay much, cuz the server is free ;)
OK, I know what you mean.

And I agree, without the iTunes Update plugin, slimserver would be
much less interesting to me.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-11-07, 04:08
What are you doing to create the playlists by accident? Never seen this
myself!

I can make the key reassignment optional.
Would you want the rating keys disabled as well?
This bit needs a bit of work anyway as you can't save playlists on the
Mac, but I still grab the key setting.

James

Lumsmore
2005-11-07, 11:45
At least I *think* I might be creating the play lists acidentally. My understanding is that while in Play Now mode, if I hit the 'right' arrow it creates/adds to a playlist, but becuase the remote often uses the right arrow as a sort of 'Enter' key, I absent mistakenly do this. So disabling or assigning to a different key would be great.

I LOVE being able to rate my music as I listen, however. That is an awsome feature.

Here's another idea for the whole music reload discussion we were having above. Instead of a reload interval, what about a 'Reload after X minutes of no-music'. So it would reload after 60 (or 30) min after you stop listening. Sort of a way to refresh durning 'off-peak' times.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-11-07, 12:30
Actually it's holding down the play key that saves playlists!
I might remove the now-playing mapping for that - I doubt anyone uses it
often enough to be an annoyance!

James