PDA

View Full Version : Different behavior for browse artist in "various artists" if also on own albums

LavaJoe
2005-11-01, 19:31
First of all, I want to say bravo to those who implemented the "various artists" mode. It really works in a very useful way, and it even motivated me to re-tag (using a script) a bunch of things with proper artists.

I did observe one inconsistancy: I have some artists who only appear on compliations, and other artists who appear on complations and also on their own albums, and this difference makes them behave differently. Note that I do not use the "band" tag.

I like to use the server behavior, "Group compilation albums together". This works great, as I do want to see my compilation CDs as albums under the special artist name I choose (in my case, "* Various Artists *" (the "*" symbols set it apart from tags that are set explicitly to the string "Various Artists").

The great thing is that when I browse for artists, I can use the special "* Various Artists *" selection to see the compilation groups, or I can browse to an individual artist to see what songs are by that artist. This works *great* for artists who are on their own albums as well as in a compilation. For example, I have James Taylor's Greatest Hits as well as a KBCO Studio C compilation album with one acoustic recording by him. When I browse to James Taylor, I see all of them.

But with an artist who is *only* on a compilation, I do not see him/her in the browse list at all. Searching works, but not browsing. It would be nice, for example, to see what songs by Glenn Tilbrook are in the library, but he's only on one of the KBCO compilations, so he does not show up on browse artist list under his name.

If I switch the server behavior to "List compilation albums under each artist", I *can* browse for Glenn Tilbrook, but then I cannot browse to my compilation albums under that special group.

It seems to me that the compilation mode would benefit from also letting one browse to the artists themselves (which does work now, but only if the artist has other of his/her own works in the library as well).

-Joe

JJZolx
2005-11-01, 21:50
I did observe one inconsistancy:
If I switch the server behavior to "List compilation albums under each artist", I *can* browse for Glenn Tilbrook, but then I cannot browse to my compilation albums under that special group.

It seems to me that the compilation mode would benefit from also letting one browse to the artists themselves (which does work now, but only if the artist has other of his/her own works in the library as well).
This isn't an inconsistency. What you may not understand is that the main reason for having this preference and the creation of the 'various artist' (compilation) grouping is so that artists who _only_ appear on compilation albums can be kept from appearing in the browse artist list. If you have many compilations in your library then you'll see many many artists with nothing more than a single track on a single album. This preference reduces that clutter.

Where you probably have a valid enhancement request is in the desire, when this preference is set to 'List compilation albums under each artist', to _also_ see the special compilation artist grouping. I'm guessing that not many people would complain if that 'various artist' were also included the browse artist list when this setting is selected. Or perhaps make it a third option.

LavaJoe
2005-11-01, 21:57
This isn't an inconsistency. What you may not understand is that the main reason for having this preference and the creation of the 'various artist' (compilation) grouping is so that artists who _only_ appear on compilation albums can be kept from appearing in the browse artist list. If you have many compilations in your library then you'll see many many artists with nothing more than a single track on a single album. This preference reduces that clutter.

I see your point. As it stands now, having a non-compilation album basically gets the artist special listing status. It did seem strange at first not to see all artists represented, though.

Where you probably have a valid enhancement request is in the desire, when this preference is set to 'List compilation albums under each artist', to _also_ see the special compilation artist grouping. I'm guessing that not many people would complain if that 'various artist' were also included the browse artist list when this setting is selected. Or perhaps make it a third option.

Indeed! I think that is what I would want, and I can see that this would be a logical third option. Or maybe change the pull-down box to two check boxes.

-Joe

LavaJoe
2005-11-14, 07:26
I am now seeing another manifestation of this. Some artists simply are not showing up in artist lists. It is because they only have songs that do *not* have an album name. An option to list artists that have only non-album (or blank album tagged) tracks would be really nice, along with the ability to list artists who only are part of compilations (maybe two separate settings?).

-Joe

P.S. I added a comment to this effect to bug 2161, but there are so many bugs related to tag/browse issues that it is hard to search for them or know which one is appropriate.

radish
2005-11-14, 09:03

Yup! I haven't yet upgraded to 6.2 (waiting for 6.2.1) but I am very excited to crop my artist list down from it's current ~4000 :)