PDA

View Full Version : wmaGain ??

gingerneil
2005-10-31, 08:30
I am interested in making use of the ReplayGain functionality but all of my music is in WMA. Is there a mp3gain alternative for wma files ??

Mark Lanctot
2005-10-31, 08:40
I was wondering the same thing for FLAC.

gingerneil wrote:
> I am interested in making use of the ReplayGain
functionality but all of
> my music is in WMA. Is there a mp3gain alternative
for wma files ??
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

MeSue
2005-10-31, 09:02
SlimServer supports replay gain tags from J River Media Center. Media Center also supports WMA files, so you might try it for adding replay gain to your WMAs. (There's a 30-day trial version.) I only use MP3, so I don't know if it tags them the same way to be compatible.

@ Mark: MC supports Flac files, so it might work for those, too.

gingerneil
2005-10-31, 09:13
SlimServer supports replay gain tags from J River Media Center. Media Center also supports WMA files, so you might try it for adding replay gain to your WMAs. (There's a 30-day trial version.) I only use MP3, so I don't know if it tags them the same way to be compatible.

I'll have a go with this - its about time I used something to organise my music...

OK.. downloaded the trial and its now 'analysing' all of my audio files. Do I need to do anything else to ensure ReplayGain info is added to the files and used by slim ?

Robin Bowes
2005-10-31, 10:03
Mark Lanctot said the following on 31/10/2005 15:40:
> gingerneil wrote:
>
>> I am interested in making use of the ReplayGain functionality but
>> all of my music is in WMA. Is there a mp3gain alternative for wma
>> files ??
>
> I was wondering the same thing for FLAC.

I've written a perl script to add replaygain to your whole library using
metaflac (comes with flac).

It is available here:

http://projects.robinbowes.com/apply_replaygain

Note: This is a script I wrote for my own personal use and as such I
have not yet made time to package it up particularly well. If you're not
comfortable working with perl from the command line then this script is
probably not ready for you yet.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

MeSue
2005-10-31, 12:20
OK.. downloaded the trial and its now 'analysing' all of my audio files. Do I need to do anything else to ensure ReplayGain info is added to the files and used by slim ?

You need to make sure MC is set to save the analysis to your tags. It probably already is, but to make sure, go to Tools > Options > General and make sure that "Update tags when file info changes" is enabled. Than also go to the "Library" section of options. Scroll through the Library fields to find "Replay Gain" then click edit and make sure "store in tags" is enabled. Do the same for "Album Gain" (not sure if SS reads albums gain too, though.)

If you find that it wasn't saving to tags before you started, just select the analyzed files, right click and go to Library tools > Update Tags (from library). Then I'm pretty sure you will have to do a clear and rescan in SS. You can verify that SS is reading the volume adjustment by going to song info either in the Web UI or on the remote by pressing right and then the up/down arrows to scroll through the song info.

gingerneil
2005-11-01, 01:38
Thanks for the instructions.
I've done this all now.
However:
Using the web interface and pointing it at softsqueeze, I have turned Replay Gain onto 'track'. However, there is no sign of Replay Gain being displayed on either the web interface or softsqueeze via 'information'. All I get on the web interface is:
Title, Artist, Album, Genre, Track, File Format, Duration,
Year, File Length, Bitrate, Sample Rate, Location, Date Modified.

Any ideas how I can see if replaygain is working ?? Should the details appear in the list above ? or is there no support for wma ?

MeSue
2005-11-01, 08:51
For my MP3s, I do see the volume adjustment info in the song info. Did you clear and rescan your SS library after doing the replay gain analysis? Pretty sure that would be required, and also check to make sure volume adjustment is turned on in the player settings.

street_samurai
2005-11-03, 14:04
Regarding adding replaygain to Flacs and MP3s, please see this topic:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16529

As far as WMA, I believe I've read on Hydrogenaudio at some point (but I can't find anything about it now) that WMA works differently to other formats as far as volume attenuation and/or its tagging doesn't support replay-gain. Sorry I can't be more helpful here.

Indeed the Hydrogenaudio Wiki makes no mention of replay-gain support for WMA:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Replaygain

ss.

MeSue
2005-11-03, 18:10
gingerneil, I'm curious to know if this worked for you.

gingerneil
2005-11-04, 01:13
Well.... nope, it didn't. Googling all over the place, it appears as though WMA and ReplayGain dont really go together. I'm therefore about half way through the process of converting everything to mp3... I will then add replaygain.
I originally went for wma to save disk space, but I have recently bought a new drive so this is no longer an issue.

street_samurai
2005-11-07, 12:41
A quick note that converting a lossy format to another (different) lossy format is not a very good idea from a sound quality perspective. Both algorithms are dropping different pieces of information when they are encoded, so you're getting a double wammy by doing it twice.

Might not be a big deal to you... but I thought I'd point it out.

ss.

gingerneil
2005-11-07, 16:46
yep - I realise that. To bring even more tears.. they used to be in MP3 originally!
I like my music, but I'm no audiophile...