PDA

View Full Version : Companion programs to SlimServer



Mark Lanctot
2005-10-30, 22:09
I was wondering what other programs people use to
manage their music collections.

I use Mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) to manage
tags. I like the interface but sometimes the tag
changes don't "take" and I have to do it in foobar.

As an audio player I use foobar2000
(http://www.foobar2000.org/). It cooperates nicely
with SlimServer.

For ripping I use dBpowerAMP,
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/. I know, most people use
EAC but I could never figure that program out, plus
you have to convert to FLAC or MP3 in another step.
Obviously all my ripping is done in FLAC, but I have
to make MP3s for my PocketPC.

Finally, I equalize volumes and write ReplayGain tags
using MP3Gain, http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/.

Any suggestions for alternatives? Any other programs
you guys find useful?

moobaa
2005-10-30, 22:20
I rip to wav under Linux using cdparanoia.

I cut tracks as I see fit (I don't trust CD track markers ;) with some nice home-grown software, which also creates FLAC encoding and tagging batch files for me.

In my MP3 days, I loved ID3TagIt ( http://www.id3-tagit.de/ ).

Michaelwagner
2005-10-30, 22:31
I still use (amazingly enough) Audiostation from Voyetra/Turtle Beach. Under the covers, it's really just LAME. The user interface is a bit odd from time to time, and certain operations are slow, but mostly those aren't the ones I need, so no worries.

For tagging I use tag and rename.
http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

bernt
2005-10-31, 00:12
EAC for ripping. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

The GodFather for tagging. http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/

Foobar2000 for ReplayGain. http://www.foobar2000.org/

MeSue
2005-10-31, 07:50
I was using about 6 different programs for managing music. Now I do everything in J. River Media Center 11 rip, tag, replaygain, play, burn, search for lyrics/cover art, move/rename files. It also has smart playlists that are infinitely configurable. My one big wish is that there was a plugin or something to share smart playlists, ratings, and play stats between MC and SS.

Ed
2005-10-31, 09:29
I use EAC for ripping, together with MAREO & some DOS scripts I wrote to do
the wav to FLAC conversion, tagging, etc. For playback on the local
machine, I generally use foobar2K. I will also be using that for splitting
and converting my single-file flacs when I get my iPod (Christmas). For
cover art, I've used GotchaCoveredPro with some success.

I had at one time used the PDF Catalogue Creator from the plugins page, and
even started modifying the script a bit, despite my utter lack of Perl
kung-fu. But then the new database came along. :-(

Ed

TCM
2005-10-31, 10:17
I rip to wav with EAC

For tagging: TagScanner http://xdev.narod.ru/tagscan_e.htm

Convert to flac with flac frontend: http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm

Convert to ogg with oggdropXPd: http://www.rarewares.org/ogg.html

TCM
2005-11-02, 00:39
I forgot one thing:

I was recommended this program to make playlists

http://bleucanard.mark1hosting.net/dbSched.htm

I haven't tried it myself yet though

geoffb
2005-11-02, 08:10
On 10/31/05, Mark Lanctot <marklanctot (AT) yahoo (DOT) ca> wrote:
> I use Mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) to manage
> tags. I like the interface but sometimes the tag
> changes don't "take" and I have to do it in foobar.

I also use MP3Tag, and used to find the exact same issue you describe.
What it turned out to be (for me, at least) was that some files had
both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.
Slimserver seems to be inconsistent in which tag it uses.

What I did that fixed it completely was configure MP3Tag to show me
which tags were in which files. Add two columns to MP3Tag
(right-click column headers):

Name: Current Tag
Value: %_tag_read%
Field:
Sort by:

Name: Tags In File
Value: %_tag%
Field:
Sort by:

Then, change Tools | Options |Tags | Mpeg:
Read=ID3v1 and ID3v2
Write=ID3v2

To fix the actual problem, you can then find all the files that have
both v1 and v2 tags, select them, and use File | Remove Tag. You
should then have just ID3v2 tags in those files. For files that have
only ID3v1 tags, you need to edit them somehow (set them to their
existing genre, for example), which should add ID3v2 tags. Then do
the above remove action.

Hope that helps,
Geoff

Mark Lanctot
2005-11-02, 08:14
Wow!

This should help a lot. I was seeing more errors
last night in how the tags were being interpreted.

Thanks very much!

Geoff B wrote:
> On 10/31/05, Mark Lanctot <marklanctot (AT) yahoo (DOT) ca>
wrote:
>
>>I use Mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) to manage
>>tags. I like the interface but sometimes the tag
>>changes don't "take" and I have to do it in foobar.
>
>
> I also use MP3Tag, and used to find the exact same
issue you describe.
> What it turned out to be (for me, at least) was
that some files had
> both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.
> Slimserver seems to be inconsistent in which tag it
uses.
>
> What I did that fixed it completely was configure
MP3Tag to show me
> which tags were in which files. Add two columns to
MP3Tag
> (right-click column headers):
>
> Name: Current Tag
> Value: %_tag_read%
> Field:
> Sort by:
>
> Name: Tags In File
> Value: %_tag%
> Field:
> Sort by:
>
> Then, change Tools | Options |Tags | Mpeg:
> Read=ID3v1 and ID3v2
> Write=ID3v2
>
> To fix the actual problem, you can then find all the
files that have
> both v1 and v2 tags, select them, and use File |
Remove Tag. You
> should then have just ID3v2 tags in those files.
For files that have
> only ID3v1 tags, you need to edit them somehow (set
them to their
> existing genre, for example), which should add ID3v2
tags. Then do
> the above remove action.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Geoff
>

geoffb
2005-11-02, 08:41
On 11/2/05, Mark Lanctot <marklanctot (AT) yahoo (DOT) ca> wrote:
> Wow!
>
> This should help a lot. I was seeing more errors
> last night in how the tags were being interpreted.
>
> Thanks very much!

No problem. I should probably add the warning to back up your files
first, or at least play with a small set first to make sure it works
as you expect, and that I didn't fat-finger the settings I described.

Cheers
Geoff

Mark Lanctot
2005-11-02, 09:02
I did play around with it first, seemed to work
OK, so then I dove in.

It didn't take long because you can sort by the
new columns. So you can get all the ID3v1 tags
grouped together, and you can get all the "tags in
file" ID3v1 and ID3v2 grouped together.

There's one critical step that was omitted: in
Tools - Options - Tags - Mpeg - you have to set
Remove ID3v1.

Then what you do is:

- all files with ID3v2 current tags that have
ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in the file - highlight them
all and select File - Remove Tag. This removes
all the ID3v1 tags.

- all files with ID3v1 current tags: select them
all and press the Save icon. This writes ID3v2
tags and removes the ID3v1 tags in one step. This
assumes they don't already have ID3v2 tags in the
Tags In File column, in which case you'd do the
first step as well.

Took 5 minutes for 1150 files.

SlimServer now orders the files as I would expect.
Working perfectly.

Thanks again.

Geoff B wrote:
> On 11/2/05, Mark Lanctot <marklanctot (AT) yahoo (DOT) ca>
wrote:
>
>>Wow!
>>
>>This should help a lot. I was seeing more errors
>>last night in how the tags were being interpreted.
>>
>>Thanks very much!
>
>
> No problem. I should probably add the warning to
back up your files
> first, or at least play with a small set first to
make sure it works
> as you expect, and that I didn't fat-finger the
settings I described.
>
> Cheers
> Geoff
>

Michaelwagner
2005-11-02, 09:43
some files had both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. Slimserver seems to be inconsistent in which tag it uses.I read through this code recently. I believe, if there are some ID3v1 and some v2 tags, it merges them in some way, giving preference to the v2 tags when there are direct conflicts.

At least that seems to be what the code intent was. Whether it works correctly or not I don't know. I don't have any files like that to test. And, I'm not sure what the "correct" result would be in that case.

geoffb
2005-11-02, 15:16
On 11/2/05, Mark Lanctot <marklanctot (AT) yahoo (DOT) ca> wrote:
> There's one critical step that was omitted

What, only one? :)
In fact, I was writing mostly from memory, since I couldn't access my
MP3Tag at home (hurricane Wilma knocked out our cable connection). I
feared there were a couple of things I missed, sorry about that.

Glad it worked out.

Cheers
Geoff

Mark Lanctot
2005-11-03, 07:41
Heh, if you did that all from memory, you did it
pretty well.

Thanks again.

Geoff B wrote:
> On 11/2/05, Mark Lanctot <marklanctot (AT) yahoo (DOT) ca>
wrote:
>
>>There's one critical step that was omitted
>
>
> What, only one? :)
> In fact, I was writing mostly from memory, since I
couldn't access my
> MP3Tag at home (hurricane Wilma knocked out our
cable connection). I
> feared there were a couple of things I missed, sorry
about that.
>
> Glad it worked out.
>
> Cheers
> Geoff
>