PDA

View Full Version : Speaker suggestions...

rgmiller1974
2005-10-30, 19:46
Hello everyone,

Can anyone give my any suggestions for a set of speakers that will work well with a SqueezeBox? My plan is to buy several SB's and set up a whole house audio system. (The house is already wired for ethernet and buying several SB's turns out to be quite a bit cheaper than purchasing and installing a dedicated whole-house audio system.)

What I think would work best is a set of powered speakers with some kind of "auto power off" or "sleep" mode. That way I wouldn't have to fiddle with a second control and could leave the speakers powered up. That way, when I sync'd the different SB's, they would start playing without me actually having to go into a specific room and turn things on. Also, I think a 2.1 setup would be best: small, innocuous sattelite speakers and a subwoofer that I could tuck out of the way somewhere.

The basic idea is to have a very "low profile" installation and to be able to control the audio in any room from any SqueezeBox (or from my PC).

I'm not much of an audiophile and don't really want to spend much; I'd like to keep the price under $200 (US). A good set of computer speakers is probably what I'm looking for, but I don't know of any with the "auto power off" feature.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Ross

Mark Lanctot
2005-10-30, 21:44
I have heard a lot of people at AVS Forum recommending
Swans active speakers.

Unfortunately they do not have an auto-off from what I
can tell, but they have a reputation for good
sound...which is what a lot of computer speakers can't
boast.

I am looking for a pair to use with a potential second
Squeezebox.

--- rgmiller1974
<rgmiller1974.1xqwxb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:

>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Can anyone give my any suggestions for a set of
> speakers that will work
> well with a SqueezeBox? My plan is to buy several
> SB's and set up a
> whole house audio system. (The house is already
> wired for ethernet and
> buying several SB's turns out to be quite a bit
> cheaper than purchasing
> and installing a dedicated whole-house audio
> system.)
>
> What I think would work best is a set of powered
> speakers with some
> kind of "auto power off" or "sleep" mode. That way
> I wouldn't have to
> fiddle with a second control and could leave the
> speakers powered up.
> That way, when I sync'd the different SB's, they
> would start playing
> without me actually having to go into a specific
> room and turn things
> on. Also, I think a 2.1 setup would be best: small,
> innocuous
> sattelite speakers and a subwoofer that I could tuck
> out of the way
> somewhere.
>
> The basic idea is to have a very "low profile"
> installation and to be
> able to control the audio in any room from any
> SqueezeBox (or from my
> PC).
>
> I'm not much of an audiophile and don't really want
> to spend much; I'd
> like to keep the price under $200 (US). A good set
> of computer
> speakers is probably what I'm looking for, but I
> don't know of any with
> the "auto power off" feature.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> -Ross
>
>
> --
> rgmiller1974
>

freddypd
2005-11-01, 17:36
Just recieved my first Squeezebox and I love it! I have it running on some 9 year old computer speakers. I am thinking of an a-bus system or maybe channel plus mds-6a with ceiling speakers. I too want to watch the budget. I am interested in what others on the site are using.

semi_expert
2005-11-01, 21:06
I recently bought a SB2. I am playing it through a Sonic Impact T-Amp and Athena B1 speakers. This combo is very cost effective (<$150 for speakers, amp, ac-dc power adapter)and it sounds great. Highly recommended.

Jungle
2005-11-02, 02:40
There seem to be several different issues when considering speakers. For example, I can hook my SB2 up to a Naim pre/power amp setup powering massive TDL transmission line speakers and get awesome sound. This works for one room but not elsewhere in the house (for one thing, I don't have deep enough pockets).

My compromise for my bedroom has been a JBL Creature II setup - an active setup with two small speakers and a bizarre subwoofer. Sound is more than acceptable - at least I get a decent bass here - and I have avoided having to get an amp. UK cost for these was c. 50. Downside, they remain powered up and have small LEDs on the underside just to let you know they're on!

There are huge numbers of active speakers out there, ranging from the (UK) 10-20 per pair units normally designed for computers through to top end active units from manufacturers like PMC (http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/db1sa.html).

To address your specific question, I'm not aware of any of these units with standby/power down but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Good luck with your search and please do report back if you find something which does the job well.

slimpy
2005-11-02, 02:53
I'm running one of my SB2s on Canton Plus Media 3
http://www.canton.de/index.php?pg_id=16,30,plusmedia3
These are pretty decent active bookshelf speakers, nothing fancy, no digital input, but they do have an auto power on/off feature.
They produce a warm and open sound and good bass (given their rather small size)

s.