PDA

View Full Version : Don't use itunes except for playlists??

dspeirs
2005-10-30, 12:22
I have noticed for 6.2 on my XP, using iTunes makes my slimserver VERY spotty. I switched to not using iTunes and it works perfect. I don't mind doing this except I like using iTunes playlist fnctionality (smart playlists). Is there any way to not use iTunes excpet for the playlist functionality?

Dan

superbad
2005-10-30, 20:41
Sort of. There is a free program that exports your itunes playlists as regular m3u playlist files. You can set it to run at startup, or just run it manually whenever you make a change to your itunes library. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure Google knows it. I was using this setup for a while, but I didn't see much performance difference, so I just went back to using itunes directly. This was back in the 5.4 days, so things may be different now.

Paul Runyan
2005-11-01, 01:01
I have noticed for 6.2 on my XP, using iTunes makes my slimserver VERY spotty. I switched to not using iTunes and it works perfect. I don't mind doing this except I like using iTunes playlist fnctionality (smart playlists). Is there any way to not use iTunes excpet for the playlist functionality?

Dan

I haven't noticed this. What sort of spottiness are you experiencing?

/Paul

jack.b
2005-11-03, 15:16
I believe that I have seen this before, as well. If iTunes and the SlimServer ever try to touch the same resource at the same time (song, playlist, etc.), the sb2 starts stalling.

When I bring up the performance monitor, it's clear that PERL is spinning out of control. Exiting iTunes, and re-starting the SlimServer resolves the problem.

Jack

OS X 10.4.2
SlimServer 6.2.0
sb2, v. 26