PDA

View Full Version : Loading of entire library

selecttouch
2005-10-29, 20:05
I have posted this as a bug, but I would be interested to get any comments and opinions from users on this issue. The bug posting is as follows:

This is a follow up, and is the same problem as my bug report #2371.
I believe it relates to all versions.
You might not view it as a bug, but I can't imagine any useful purpose for this annoying function.

The entire library is loaded into the playlist when the play button is pressed while you are viewing the following:

1/ Browse Artists
2/ Browse Songs
3/ Browse Genres
4/ Browse Albums

These are the most important menu buttons I wish to use. I probably also relates to others.
Bug #2371 fixed this problem in relation to 'Years' and it functions as it should. [if you press play while viewing 'Years' nothing happens] With music librarys as big as they are thes days it causes significant delays in loading, and to an unskilled user, could appear as a system lockup.
Why would anyone want to load ther entire library anyway?

I was very impressed with the speed at which my previous report was addressed.
I hope this one is equaly as simple.

P.S. How do you save functions into favorites?

Regards Andrew

kdf
2005-10-29, 20:42
how about just not pressing play when you have those items?
some users have wanted to load their entire library, and complained
when this feature was accidentally removed.

your points are not new, and I believe there is already a bug report
asking for 'warnings' before loading large lists of songs, whether it
be 'play everything' or loading a very large playlist. feel free to
look it up and vote on bugs.slimdevices.com

-kdf

selecttouch
2005-10-29, 21:10
The reason for concern is that these units a being reviewed for incorporation into a home automation audio distribution system with a large music database, this will be accessed by any number of individuals.And you know what they’ll do when you tell them not to press 'that' button.
Is there a way that function can be coded out in the software?

selecttouch
2005-10-30, 20:43
With regards to my comments on the problems of the entire library loading from the primary menu buttons, could I suggest that a configuration setting be provided that would "Load every song into a single playlist" this could be made a server option that could be disabled via the settings, for those people who have massive libraries, or maybe even be able to set a 'maximum "autogenerated" playlist size' option instead - you could set it to 200 songs or something small to speed up the response if a user does press play when on Browse Artists???.

max.spicer
2005-10-31, 01:13
Yes, it can easily be coded out, but it's not a feature that most would want. You could apply a custom patch to your copy of slimserver, or add it as a hidden pref and see if you can get it committed. Apologies if you're not a coder, but I'm sure you could get someone to do it for you otherwise.

Max

The reason for concern is that these units a being reviewed for incorporation into a home automation audio distribution system with a large music database, this will be accessed by any number of individuals.And you know what they’ll do when you tell them not to press 'that' button.
Is there a way that function can be coded out in the software?