View Full Version : Tag types in use

dfk
2005-10-29, 12:33
Hi

Does or will SlimServer use the tags

Tone
Styles
Theme

An example being that the 'Theme' tag could be Party etc..

Michaelwagner
2005-10-29, 19:31
AFAIK these are not standard tags.

Is your question, can users make up their own tags?

dfk
2005-10-30, 14:42
AFAIK these are not standard tags.

Is your question, can users make up their own tags?

Well sort of

Besides the ususal tags found in tagging software I also use other tags for example: 'Theme' The idea was that you could use this tag to define a theme of music as well as a genre. Some examples of themes could be:

Party
Summer
Lush
Stylish
Mellow
Creative
Late Night

Then if having a party you could just select the theme party and have instant party tracks etc. This has probably been mentioned loads of times in this forum but it would be great if SlimServer could handle it.

ceejay
2005-10-30, 16:07
May not be exactly what you are looking for, but you can get something like this effect by using multiple values in the genre tag (I sense a certain amount of deja vue in this thread!!).

I've been using multiple genre values in this way: in addition to the usual sorts of genre ("rock", "classical" ,etc) I've defined a few others including "loud", for example. Then you can just select by genre to get whatever has that value set. I think my record so far is something like 6 different genre values on one piece.

The only snag is that I haven't yet found tagging software to which this comes naturally - I'd really like it to be smart enough to know that I'm trying to add several different values, as opposed to assigning a single value of "rock;party;loud" or whatever. But it does work.

NB - this is not a natural thing to be putting in an MP3 tag! Other MP3 reading software is likely to struggle. I am doing this multiple value stuff only in the FLAC files which slimserver is using.

Regards
Ceejay

dfk
2005-10-30, 16:43
May not be exactly what you are looking for, but you can get something like this effect by using multiple values in the genre tag (I sense a certain amount of deja vue in this thread!!).

I've been using multiple genre values in this way: in addition to the usual sorts of genre ("rock", "classical" ,etc) I've defined a few others including "loud", for example. Then you can just select by genre to get whatever has that value set. I think my record so far is something like 6 different genre values on one piece.

The only snag is that I haven't yet found tagging software to which this comes naturally - I'd really like it to be smart enough to know that I'm trying to add several different values, as opposed to assigning a single value of "rock;party;loud" or whatever. But it does work.

NB - this is not a natural thing to be putting in an MP3 tag! Other MP3 reading software is likely to struggle. I am doing this multiple value stuff only in the FLAC files which slimserver is using.

Regards
Ceejay

Hello again ceejay

I should of remembered your previous suggestion! In fact the way you use tags is a really good workaround to what I want to do. I think I will give it a shot and start tagging that way.

I don't know that much about the IDV2 tag protocols but I do know that some tagging software uses extended tags such as 'Theme' 'Tones' and 'Styles'.

Regards

Dave

Michaelwagner
2005-10-30, 18:56
There is an extension mechanism for ID3 tags.
It allows for certain tags (like comment) to have what I guess I'd have to call subtags, for lack of a better word.

So a comment tag could contain
Theme:Party
Tone:Mellow

or whatever you wanted.

AFAIK SLIM doesn't support this (nor does anyone else I'm aware of).

dfk
2005-10-31, 11:33
There is an extension mechanism for ID3 tags.
It allows for certain tags (like comment) to have what I guess I'd have to call subtags, for lack of a better word.

So a comment tag could contain
Theme:Party
Tone:Mellow

or whatever you wanted.

AFAIK SLIM doesn't support this (nor does anyone else I'm aware of).

SlimServer does support the comment tag as I have it working :-) But IMHO comments is the place to put info about the artist or album. It would be great if Slim could see 'Theme' tag..... Surely it can't be that difficult for you guys here to put in place?

dfk

Dave

Dan Sully
2005-10-31, 11:38
* dfk shaped the electrons to say...

>SlimServer does support the comment tag as I have it working :-) But
>IMHO comments is the place to put info about the artist or album. It
>would be great if Slim could see 'Theme' tag..... Surely it can't be
>that difficult for you guys here to put in place?

http://37signals.com/svn/archives2/the_top_5_red_flags_of_software_development.php

-D
--
<nil> It sucks to discover that you are the foremost authority on some set of things when you've got a problem.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-31, 11:44
SlimServer does support the comment tag as I have it working :-) I know comment tags work. I use them too. But the segmented, 2 level comment tags (for lack of a better name, I can't recall what the standard calls them) are, I think, not (yet) supported by Slim. But they could be.

It would be great if Slim could see 'Theme' tag..... One can't just go about making up one's own tags willy-nilly. There is a standard to be followed. If you don't follow it, no one's tagging software will work on those song files. And users will be very unhappy.

Surely it can't be that difficult for you guys here to put in place?
It's not that it's hard for slim to do. It's that no one else would support this non-standard tag, so it would at worst be essentially useless and at worst might break things.

That's why I suggested improving the support for the comment tag. There is a sub-structure within it that allows arbitrary tags and values, somewhat like you suggested.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-31, 11:45
http://37signals.com/svn/archives2/the_top_5_red_flags_of_software_development.phpGoo d quote, thanks!

Michaelwagner
2005-11-01, 17:35
these are not standard tags.I made a mistake in this posting. id3v2.4.0 has a mood tag. This might work for you.