PDA

View Full Version : Firmware Updates

Action
2005-10-28, 21:04
I have a couple of quick questions about firmware updates. How does one find out the various versions of the firmware and the various fixes and features associated with them? Is there a link or thread on them?

How should I update to the newest firmware version? The version on my new Squeezebox2 is V15, although I believe that I have seen references to firmware of V22+. I have tried doing the update via the setup menu on the Squeezebox2, but have not been able to get it to update beyond V15. I'm sure its something quick and easy to fix, but I have not found a good reference on it yet.

I'm currently running Slimserver V6.1.1 on a ReadyNas X6, so far its working flawlessly, however I would like some of the volume control features on the later firmware revisions...

dean
2005-10-28, 23:11
Firmware releases are included with SlimServer releases and are
required when you upgrade SlimServer, so bugs and features addressed
in the firmware will appear in the SlimServer release notes.
SlimServer 6.2 includes firmware version 26 for Squeezebox2, so
upgrade to that and you'll be prompted to upgrade your firmware.

(I'm not sure when Infrant will update their release of SlimServer,
so you may have to wait. I'd check with their tech support.)

-dean

On Oct 28, 2005, at 9:04 PM, Action wrote:

>
> I have a couple of quick questions about firmware updates. How
> does one
> find out the various versions of the firmware and the various fixes
> and
> features associated with them? Is there a link or thread on them?
>
> How should I update to the newest firmware version? The version on my
> new Squeezebox2 is V15, although I believe that I have seen references
> to firmware of V22+. I have tried doing the update via the setup menu
> on the Squeezebox2, but have not been able to get it to update beyond
> V15. I'm sure its something quick and easy to fix, but I have not
> found a good reference on it yet.
>
> I'm currently running Slimserver V6.1.1 on a ReadyNas X6, so far its
> working flawlessly, however I would like some of the volume control
> features on the later firmware revisions...
>
>
> --
> Action
>

Action
2005-10-31, 06:08
I appreciate the clarification. Infrant has updated to 6.2.0 just this past weekend. I believe that they are having some travails with implementing the Perl updates with their limited computing HP. I do hope that the Slimserver updates keep focused on small, tight code with low CPU use so that Infrant and other NAS companies can continue to support and develop their products to support slim devices! I'll be updating soon, maybe today, as the update requires a rebuild of the DB, which with the limited CPU power of the Infrant takes several hours.

After really playing with the Squeezebox2 for the weekend (which is why I have not yet updated), its an amazing piece of equipment. Its operation is far better than I had hoped.

A couple of quick questions. Will it always be the case where firmware changes will not be available except via updating the Slimserver software? What if I desperately wanted a firmware change (like the volume changes made in the later versions of the firmware), but did not want to update to the newest Slimserver due to some outstanding bug/issue?

On another note, I tried hooking my external DAC up to the Squeezebox2 and could not get a lock. I don't have any problem with hooking my CD player up to the DAC, any suggestions about troubleshooting setupt that I should try with this issue?

Action
2005-11-01, 12:46
Infrant is not recommending updating to 6.2.0 at the present time. So it looks as if the firmware is still out of reach presently.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting the digital outs?

Also, is it possible to update the Squeezebox2 to the newest firmware (via attachment to a temporary Slimserver install) and then operate it with an earlier version of Slimserver without it forcing an update? Are there any issues with doing this?