PDA

View Full Version : Faster way to navigate when searching music

larry104
2005-10-28, 14:42
Just an idea - maybe it was discussed before (I appologize if yes; maybe there is already an option but I don't know it yet?) - would it make sense to change the alphabetical search to only allow the letters in the aphabet which are actually in the DB? E.g. if you have only two artist in you db lets say Sade and Santana the first letter would automatically start at S (instead of typing A,B,C... until you reach S) and can't be changed, the second at A the third toggles between D and N and so forth. In case you type D it would autocomplete the E and in case of N ...

Any comments?

hickinbottoms
2005-10-28, 18:09
I agree. I've been working on this problem for quite some time, off and on. You can see my progress on bug #386 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=386).

I've been trying to get some hooks in the SlimServer core to allow this to be done more easily, without success, but the good news is that I believe I now have a solution that works without them.

Take a look at bug #386 and see if it's the kind of thing you're after (there's even a little video on there). If so, vote/subscribe to it as I hope to publish my plugin that does all this in a couple of days. I'll post to the bug when I've done that.

With this plugin I can search for most artists/albums/tracks with only four or five button presses rather than the 10-15 required using the standard search text entry method.

larry104
2005-10-31, 14:50
Stuart,

that's a great idea using predictive text - this would make searching really efficient. My idea was way more simple and just if you navigate using the up/down keys. I'm looking forward to the release of the plugin