PDA

View Full Version : Not having to have a server running 24x7

clumsyoik
2005-10-28, 12:35
Well, the Squeezebox2 is now cheap enough that I could justify getting one... It's basically great, but the requirement to have a server running 24x7 is inconvenient. My server is underpowered, noisy, loud, expensive to run, etc. etc.

I happen to have a streamload account - see www.streamload.com. Streamload is both fantastic and inconvenient at the same time (much like the squeezebox itself). For $5/month or so, they give you unlimited storage, and a certain number of GB/month of downloads. (The frustrating bit is that you have to use their crappy API and tools to manage your files)

So... what if I could upload my music to streamload, and play it back via squeezenetwork?

In fact, I don't suppose streamload are making a loss - why couldn't SlimDevices charge users $5/month to hold all their music on squeezenetwork?

I'm a stingy bastard, but it would solve a real problem for me and I'd be willing to pay for it. I think this might be a profitable venture for SlimDevices...

MrC
2005-10-28, 12:55
why couldn't SlimDevices charge users $5/month to hold all their music on squeezenetwork?

I'm a stingy bastard, but it would solve a real problem for me and I'd be willing to pay for it. I think this might be a profitable venture for SlimDevices...
Because you can't make enough profit from stingy bastards! :-)

Seriously, I think most everyone wants control of their own music. I can't imaging uploading 50-100G of music, and having that be cost effective for anyone - Slim, you, ISPs, etc.

Why not just turn off your server when you're not using it, and turn it on when you are?

mrfantasy
2005-10-28, 13:50
You could look into either a Linkstation/Kurobox (not the fastest, but it works fine, even with 6.2, and it consumes 25 W max) to keep power and noise down. Right now my Kuro Box is in the basement so what little noise it makes is not even an issue in my family room (the TiVo is much noisier--need to get the fan mods for it someday).

You can also check into custom PC cases designed for Media Center PCs. They usually have quiet power supplies and quiet fans. Getting a quiet hard drive is important too--the 400 GB Seagate Barracuda I have is very good for noise.

clumsyoik
2005-10-28, 14:14
Because you can't make enough profit from stingy bastards! :-)

yes but the service would be for *both* stingy bastards and rich gits. As I say, streamload wouldn't do it if it cost them money.

Seriously, I think most everyone wants control of their own music. I can't imaging uploading 50-100G of music, and having that be cost effective for anyone - Slim, you, ISPs, etc.

I agree totally. I would keep control of my music by having it on a hard drive in my house (as well as on streamload)

Uploading 50G of music? Well, that is quite a lot. Maybe 5G is more realistic (though that is still 100 albums in MP3). It would run overnight. No problem.

Why not just turn off your server when you're not using it, and turn it on when you are?

Well yes. That's what I do. That's what's inconvenient.

clumsyoik
2005-10-28, 14:21
You could look into either a Linkstation/Kurobox (not the fastest, but it works fine, even with 6.2, and it consumes 25 W max) to keep power and noise down. Right now my Kuro Box is in the basement so what little noise it makes is not even an issue in my family room (the TiVo is much noisier--need to get the fan mods for it someday).

You can also check into custom PC cases designed for Media Center PCs. They usually have quiet power supplies and quiet fans. Getting a quiet hard drive is important too--the 400 GB Seagate Barracuda I have is very good for noise.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may go that route in the future.

radish
2005-10-28, 16:29
Well yes. That's what I do. That's what's inconvenient.

WOL/shutdown script? Should make it more painless.