PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: dynamic vs. rescan



MrC
2005-10-28, 12:33
It is not very clear to me which settings under Server Settings are dynamic and which ones require a rescan of the library. And for those that require a rescan, which type of rescan will be sufficient.

Does anyone else feel it would be useful to indicate when the settings take affect along with the descriptive help text for each setting?

Updated: Nov 3,2005 6:41pm PST

Server Settings->Behavior:
Articles To Ignore When Sorting (full rescan required. Should automatically trigger rescan, but currently does not. KDF to fix.)
Group Discs (triggers rescan when changed, needs text)

Dan Sully
2005-10-28, 12:39
* MrC shaped the electrons to say...

>It is not very clear to me which settings under Server Settings are
>dynamic and which ones require a rescan of the library. And for those
>that require a rescan, which type of rescan will be sufficient.
>
>Does anyone else feel it would be useful to indicate when the settings
>take affect along with the descriptive help text for each setting?

Yes - that would be very useful. Please file a bug. Patches welcome. :)

-D
--
<iNoah> I think someone should create a magazine for computer peripherals, called Card & Driver

MrC
2005-10-28, 12:47
Bug 2409 created.

max.spicer
2005-10-28, 13:06
If you know the answer for particular settings, please post it to this bug!

Max


Bug 2409 created.

MrC
2005-10-28, 13:12
I'll continue to update my original post here with any answers posted by others. I think its more likely that people will see this thread, than see the bug.

To start the ball rolling, here's one I just discovered:

Server Settings->Behavior:
Articles To Ignore When Sorting (full rescan required)

max.spicer
2005-10-28, 13:48
Please add them to the bug as well!

Max


I'll continue to update my original post here with any answers posted by others. I think its more likely that people will see this thread, than see the bug.

To start the ball rolling, here's one I just discovered:

Server Settings->Behavior:
Articles To Ignore When Sorting (full rescan required)

JJZolx
2005-11-03, 23:25
Arrghhhh! Please _don't_ do automatic rescans unless absolutely necessary. This can be a very expensive operation on most systems and kills any chance of playback during the scanning process on many.

I'll argue that even things like database schema changes should be handled more intelligently than wiping & rescanning at start-up. If a new table or field can be populated from the current data, then build a routine to do so, even if it's a throwaway used only at the time of an upgrade.

What the Settings section really needs is an overhaul to its organization and a better means of implementing a linked Help system. The explanatory paragraphs that are inserted here and there just make using these pages more difficult, without adequately explaining many of the settings.

JJZolx
2005-11-04, 00:17
Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Couldn't changes to both 'Articles To Ignore' and 'Group Discs' be effected by running through a couple tables in the database and changing the data that's already there?

kdf
2005-11-04, 00:27
On 3-Nov-05, at 11:17 PM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
>
> Couldn't changes to both 'Articles To Ignore' and 'Group Discs' be
> effected by running through a couple tables in the database and
> changing the data that's already there?
>
not with what it there. they require a rescan.
so instead of always having to point that out when users complain about
not seeing the change, it gets done.

some time in the future, as the db handling matures and becomes capable
of such manipulation, they will change.

change happens, just not all at once.
-k

Dan Sully
2005-11-04, 09:02
* JJZolx shaped the electrons to say...

>I'll argue that even things like database schema changes should be
>handled more intelligently than wiping & rescanning at start-up. If a
>new table or field can be populated from the current data, then build a
>routine to do so, even if it's a throwaway used only at the time of an
>upgrade.

And I'll agree with you. However - for all the changes that have happened
during the 6.2 development cycle, the rescan was required for gathering
additional data (such as replay gain) that was not already stored.

>What the Settings section really needs is an overhaul to its
>organization and a better means of implementing a linked Help system.
>The explanatory paragraphs that are inserted here and there just make
>using these pages more difficult, without adequately explaining many of
>the settings.

I definitely agree here - from both a user and dev perspective, it's quite a nightmare.

-D
--
<dr.pie> 31336.5: the neighbor of the l33t

Dan Sully
2005-11-04, 09:03
* JJZolx shaped the electrons to say...

>Couldn't changes to both 'Articles To Ignore' and 'Group Discs' be
>effected by running through a couple tables in the database and
>changing the data that's already there?

I've been pondering how to make both of these options dynamic, but haven't
come up with any workable solutions yet. Input is welcome on the dev forum.

-D
--
<dr.pie> 31336.5: the neighbor of the l33t