PDA

View Full Version : Edirol MA10As and small active speakers in general (yes, again!)

max.spicer
2005-10-28, 05:03
I'm really sorry to do this, but I've spent ages trawling through the previous posts on this subject, and still haven't come up with a solution. I promise to start a wiki on this if I get some useful feedback. Is that a sufficient punishment for raising this issue *again*?

I want to plug my eagerly awaited sb3 into some active speakers and sit it on top of a wardrobe in my bedroom. I'm currently looking at a pair of Edirol MA10As which I've found for 80 online. Could anyone with experience of these speakers tell me what they think of them? Are there any other similarly priced speakers that I should get instead? My ideal would be some tiny, great-sounding speakers that I can take on holiday with me and plug a Karma into. However, they'll be spending most of their time in one place, so portability is a secondary concern over sound quality. At this price range, I trust the sb's dac over anything built into speakers, so analog only speakers is fine. I don't want a separate amp, so it's active speakers only.

Thanks, and apologies again!

Max

audiofi
2005-10-28, 05:10
The MA10 range of speakers have just been discontinued and replaced by the MA15D's

The MA10's are excellent speakers, 80 seems quite expensive for the analogue version of the speakers though.

If you can stretch further, the MA15D's are definitely better, they have a nicer finish, are better built (better switches) and have more bass (they have an amp in each speaker). They are quite heavy though.

Alternatively, the MA20's have also been discontinued so you could keep an eye out for a set.

At the price range, the Edirol's are better than most speakers and for their size they kick out a lot of bass.

I hope this helps a bit, if you have any questions, just let me know, I have both the MA10D's and MA15D's for when I demo squeezebox's so can attempt to answer aany questions.

Andrew

max.spicer
2005-10-28, 05:16
One concern I have about the Edirols is that I've heard they might kick out rather too much bass. I'm after a nice rounded sound, not something that's stupidly bottom heavy (especially in a bedroom and on top of a wardrobe!). Are the MA15Ds better using just analog? Have you seen the MA10As at under 80? I haven't found them any cheaper yet.

Thanks,

Max

The MA10 range of speakers have just been discontinued and replaced by the MA15D's

The MA10's are excellent speakers, 80 seems quite expensive for the analogue version of the speakers though.

If you can stretch further, the MA15D's are definitely better, they have a nicer finish, are better built (better switches) and have more bass (they have an amp in each speaker). They are quite heavy though.

Alternatively, the MA20's have also been discontinued so you could keep an eye out for a set.

At the price range, the Edirol's are better than most speakers and for their size they kick out a lot of bass.

I hope this helps a bit, if you have any questions, just let me know, I have both the MA10D's and MA15D's for when I demo squeezebox's so can attempt to answer aany questions.

Andrew

audiofi
2005-10-28, 05:25
They are quite bassy speakers, but I'm not sure if I would class it as bass heavy as they are designed for studio use. I think it is just on bassy tracks they reveal the bass because they are so neutral. They do have tone controls if its a problem though.

I would say the MA15's are better on both digital and analogue input, they have more powerful amplifiers and sound more natural.

I haven't seen the MA10A's any cheaper either, I think they are quite hard to come by now because they aren't manufactured any more so its just a case of who hs them in stock.

The Acoustic Energy AEGO 2 sub/sat package was also excellent, but that has also been discontinued and I have been unable to find them anywhere unfortunately.

radish
2005-10-28, 07:06
I just bought a pair of the Swan M200 active speakers (http://www.theaudioinsider.com/cgi-bin/theaudioinsider/SWM200.html) and they're great. Excellent reviews if you google for them and currently discounted (EOL I think). Nice real wood cabinets, very high build quality (easily as good as my $2000 Polks), bass isn't thumping (need a sub for that) but excellent for bookshelves. One warning - they're not small or light.

audiofi
2005-10-28, 07:09
I have heard good things about the Swans, but unfortunately, they aren't available over here at the moment and would cost a lot to import.

CavesOfTQLT
2005-10-28, 08:09
I have the Edirol MA15Ds purchased specially for the SB2. My findings regarding them are as follows;

Pros: Nice Appearance, Small, Heavy.
Cons: No auto power on/off, Annoying switch-off click, No off position for the built-in bass circuitry.

Soundwise I'm still undecided after two months listening to them. I always get the feeling the mids are too recessed/low.

Concerning the Bass; when the switch is set to positions 2 or 3 there's definately too much bass kicked out, and as there is no off position the bass psycho-acoustic malarkey circuitry is always in use. I would love to find out how they'd sound without this in-circuit.

BTW I'm using them with a collection of 20% mp3, 10% ogg and 70% FLAC music files (8300 tracks in total).

I also did a comparison between using the in-built DAC and the one inside the SB2 and I found the in-built DAC to give the sound more clarity (this was also borne out by one other person who listened blindly). And yet I still get the feeling somethings not right with the overall sound, and the mids appear to be reason.

Also contrary to what somebody's previously said, there is only one speaker that has the amplifier/DAC inside, the other is just a passive one.

Recently I've been browsing around for something that could be better and somebody on these forums mentioned the Taskam VL-X5s. Though they are more expensive, and they have no DAC, I'm starting to wonder whether these would have been a better choice. Who knows, in the pursuit of the best sound, maybe the Edirol's will end up on eBay...

audiofi
2005-10-28, 08:12
Yep, you're right, sorry, it was the MA20's with two amps!

max.spicer
2005-10-28, 10:04
Hmm, the Edirol's are maybe starting to sound less like my cup of tea. That said, I don't believe the 10s have the bass circuitry. Any other suggestions that could be got in the UK for up to 100? I really don't want to spend any more than this as I could come in for sarcasm. ;-)

Max

I have the Edirol MA15Ds purchased specially for the
SB2. My findings regarding them are as follows;

Pros: Nice Appearance, Small, Heavy.
Cons: No auto power on/off, Annoying switch-off click, No off position for the built-in bass circuitry.

Soundwise I'm still undecided after two months listening to them. I always get the feeling the mids are too recessed/low.

Concerning the Bass; when the switch is set to positions 2 or 3 there's definately too much bass kicked out, and as there is no off position the bass psycho-acoustic malarkey circuitry is always in use. I would love to find out how they'd sound without this in-circuit.

BTW I'm using them with a collection of 20% mp3, 10% ogg and 70% FLAC music files (8300 tracks in total).

I also did a comparison between using the in-built DAC and the one inside the SB2 and I found the in-built DAC to give the sound more clarity (this was also borne out by one other person who listened blindly). And yet I still get the feeling somethings not right with the overall sound, and the mids appear to be reason.

Also contrary to what somebody's previously said, there is only one speaker that has the amplifier/DAC inside, the other is just a passive one.

Recently I've been browsing around for something that could be better and somebody on these forums mentioned the Taskam VL-X5s. Though they are more expensive, and they have no DAC, I'm starting to wonder whether these would have been a better choice. Who knows, in the pursuit of the best sound, maybe the Edirol's will end up on eBay...

audiofi
2005-10-28, 10:13
The 10's don't have the bass circuitry in and are quite a bit less bassy.

You could try and find some Wharfedale Active Diamonds on ebay or check out the speakers from Behringer nd M-Audio

fuzzyT
2005-10-28, 11:25
In general, the bulk of these small active speakers seem to be targeted
to the studio monitoring market. That being the case, you may find a
better selection at distributors carrying pro sound equipment.

Here's one example, with lots of options:
<http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c405/>

Picking the best for your purposes out of the bunch is something else
entirely, but this seems like a good way to start.

--rt

pfarrell
2005-10-28, 11:29
ron thigpen said:
> In general, the bulk of these small active speakers seem to be targeted
> to the studio monitoring market. That being the case, you may find a
> better selection at distributors carrying pro sound equipment.

More precisely, the home studio (or semi-pro) monitoring market.
As in record using your computers and outsell The Beatles.

> Here's one example, with lots of options:
> <http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c405/>

I think buying speakers without listening to them is very
dangerous, but as long as they have a good return policy,
you can test them in your house. Another source if
you live in any major city is your local Guitar Center.
They carry a lot of these.

Once you get up towards $1000 a pair, they can sound very nice.
But studio monitors are designed for studios, and this means
two things in general for audiophiles:

1) they are ugly. While this is subjective, most of them
are plain boxes, painted black. You will not find matched
wood or even veniers. No grills, etc.

2) they are designed to be flat, not musical.
Most audiophile products are not designed to be flat,
they are designed to be musical. Or colored if you
want to look at it that way.

I've got a pair of Mackie HR824 in my studio, and they are
great sounding.

Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com

Apteryx
2005-10-28, 14:47
I use MA10's - for the job they are asked to do in the place they are asked to do it, they are excellent and fine price wise (powered speakers for satellite SB, installed in wall-mounted shelving in a kithen). I certainly wouldn't use them as my main audio source.

CavesOfTQLT
2005-10-28, 16:55
I have to admit after reading Apteryx's post regarding the price I believe I am being a tad harsh on the 15s. For 110 from Dolphin, Liverpool, they are excellent speakers and my criticism of the sound may be due to their placement; they're located in a conservatory so surrounded by walls of glass.

After posting the above post I decided to go back and 'play around' with the speakers, and I've found that by rotating them 90deg (so they fire at an angle across the short side of the room rather than firing at an angle down the longest side), the sound has become even better. I guess placement (as well as the ubiquitous burn-in which I forgot to state earlier) are definately critical on the MA15Ds. When I get some free time I'll have to have a further play with them to see if I can 'tweak' them better.

kefa
2005-10-29, 01:30
max,

Is the lack of amp absolutely necessary? I face the same challenge...new SB3 means that SB2 moves to the bedroom, on top of the wardrobe. The way I'm looking to solve this is to pop the SB2 on top of an amp with a small form factor such as the Cyrus (anything from 3 onwards really). You should be able to pick one up on eBay for around 200-300 giving you a bit more flexibility on the choice of speakers.

Probably not what you're looking for if you want the portability though...

I'm really sorry to do this, but I've spent ages trawling through the previous posts on this subject, and still haven't come up with a solution. I promise to start a wiki on this if I get some useful feedback. Is that a sufficient punishment for raising this issue *again*?

I want to plug my eagerly awaited sb3 into some active speakers and sit it on top of a wardrobe in my bedroom. I'm currently looking at a pair of Edirol MA10As which I've found for 80 online. Could anyone with experience of these speakers tell me what they think of them? Are there any other similarly priced speakers that I should get instead? My ideal would be some tiny, great-sounding speakers that I can take on holiday with me and plug a Karma into. However, they'll be spending most of their time in one place, so portability is a secondary concern over sound quality. At this price range, I trust the sb's dac over anything built into speakers, so analog only speakers is fine. I don't want a separate amp, so it's active speakers only.

Thanks, and apologies again!

Max

max.spicer
2005-10-29, 01:45
Amp is a possibility, but I'd much rather keep this thread focussed on speakers. Either way, I don't really want to spend more than 100 on the lot!

Thanks,

Max

max,

Is the lack of amp absolutely necessary? I face the same challenge...new SB3 means that SB2 moves to the bedroom, on top of the wardrobe. The way I'm looking to solve this is to pop the SB2 on top of an amp with a small form factor such as the Cyrus (anything from 3 onwards really). You should be able to pick one up on eBay for around 200-300 giving you a bit more flexibility on the choice of speakers.

Probably not what you're looking for if you want the portability though...

Fifer
2005-10-29, 07:18
Max, what about a Sonic Impact T-Amp (http://www.media-zone.co.uk/default.asp?so=A&welc=Z&search1=Amplifiers) for 25 all inclusive (unfortunately out of stock until end of November) and some small passive studio monitors? Can anyone recommend suitable (preferably small, high efficiency) passive speakers? (Apologies if you think this is a thread-jack, I'll start another thread if you wish to keep this one on the active speaker track).

max.spicer
2005-10-29, 11:50
No, go ahead in this thread. Where does that 25 all inclusive come from? I assume it would also need a power adaptor adding, but that's still a good UK price!

Max

Max, what about a Sonic Impact T-Amp (http://www.media-zone.co.uk/default.asp?so=A&welc=Z&search1=Amplifiers) for 25 all inclusive (unfortunately out of stock until end of November) and some small passive studio monitors? Can anyone recommend suitable (preferably small, high efficiency) passive speakers? (Apologies if you think this is a thread-jack, I'll start another thread if you wish to keep this one on the active speaker track).

Fifer
2005-10-29, 12:05
Sorry Max, I meant inclusive of VAT and delivery. I bought mine from these people when they last had stock and it arrived in two days. You will need a 12 or 13V dc power supply (regulated, 1500mA or greater would be good) which you'll get for around a tenner unless you want to run from batteries. It takes 8 AA cells.

max.spicer
2005-10-29, 12:56
Which people?

Max

Sorry Max, I meant inclusive of VAT and delivery. I bought mine from these people when they last had stock and it arrived in two days. You will need a 12 or 13V dc power supply (regulated, 1500mA or greater would be good) which you'll get for around a tenner unless you want to run from batteries. It takes 8 AA cells.

Fifer
2005-10-29, 13:39
Max, click on the link in post 17 above.

max.spicer
2005-10-30, 03:00
Ah yes, my eyes missed the slight change from black to blue against a blue-grey background that indicates a link!

Max

Max, click on the link in post 17 above.

Robin Bowes
2005-10-30, 05:46
max.spicer said the following on 30/10/2005 10:00:
> Fifer Wrote:
>
>>Max, click on the link in post 17 above.

> Ah yes, my eyes missed the slight change from black to blue against a
> blue-grey background that indicates a link!
>
> Max

+! for list vs. forums methinks. :)

Oh, and top-posting makes it tricky to post a sensible reply without
moving the text around to make sense (as I've done in this reply).

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

mikerob
2005-10-30, 07:57
I see the Edirol MA15D speakers advertised for 119 on the edirol.co.uk website.

This may be impossible to answer, but for the people who have got/heard the Edirols, how do you think they may compare against, for example, a Cambridge Audio A1 amplifier + Mission M2SS speakers that are being advertised for around 130 by Richer Sounds?

I've just ordered a SB3 so will be redeploying my SB2 to the kitchen where the amp/speakers would be placed on top of the kitchen units so this would be for background music and not critical listening.

I obviously could buy something used from eBay but am interested in opinions if I bought new stuff.

Jeff Moore
2005-10-31, 14:39
2005-10-28-13:13:02 audiofi:
> You could try and find some Wharfedale Active Diamonds on ebay or check
> out the speakers from Behringer nd M-Audio

I just noticed the existence of the active Wharfedales myself a few days
ago, when leafing through a B&H Pro Audio catalog... Has anyone here
heard them? It's encouraging that they're based on a "real speaker"
people are known to have enjoyed listening to music on (even if they're
based on the 8.x series, not the 9.something people have been wetting
themselves over recently).

http://www.iaguk.com/wpro/frames/monitor_diamond.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=359106&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=359107&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo

I see some Dynaudios and Tannoys in there, too, though in a more
challenging price range...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=breadCrumb&A=search&Q=&ci=1641