PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeNetwork and Radio



Andrew Heald
2005-10-28, 03:27
Hi everyone,

After many happy hours with my Squeezebox 1, I've now bought a 2 as well. All is well, but
for two things:

1. I can't access SqueezeNetwork. I just get a message that it is unable to connect and
I'm never given a PIN.
2. Radio stations sometimes simply stop, as if I'd pressed stop on the remote. I suspect
that the connection might have been dropped at the server end, but is this maybe a local
networking issue?

Any suggestions? Would it help if I were to switch any particular logging on?

My setup here:

1. SlimServer (version 6.2) is running on a Mac Mini, one gig RAM, latest OS X Panther
version, and this machine has been re-installed from scratch and only had the Apple
updates and SlimServer installed. It is not used as anything more than a music server.
2. Internet access is via a Linux (Fedora 4) router (using iptables) and then a Draytek
ADSL router (Linux box WAN port is on its DMZ). The Squeezebox has all ports access out
onto the internet.
3. Squeezebox is wired to an 802.11g bridge/switch which links to a Belkin pre-N access
point. The Mac Mini is wired into the access point via a 100 meg switch.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.

mherger
2005-10-28, 05:42
> 1. I can't access SqueezeNetwork. I just get a message that it is unable
> to connect and I'm never given a PIN.

Please give some more detail about your network configuration, for server
and SB2:

- IP address
- gateway

> 2. Radio stations sometimes simply stop, as if I'd pressed stop on the
> remote. I suspect
> that the connection might have been dropped at the server end, but is
> this maybe a local networking issue?

I'd suspect this to be network issues. I've seen this, too.

> 2. Internet access is via a Linux (Fedora 4) router (using iptables) and
> then a Draytek
> ADSL router (Linux box WAN port is on its DMZ). The Squeezebox has all
> ports access out onto the internet.

Who's the DHCP server in your network (if you're using it)?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Andrew Heald
2005-10-28, 06:06
Thank you - all good questions. Here's my reply:

On Fri, October 28, 2005 1:42 pm, Michael Herger wrote:
>> 1. I can't access SqueezeNetwork. I just get a message that it is unable
>> to connect and I'm never given a PIN.
>
> Please give some more detail about your network configuration, for server
> and SB2:
>
> - IP address
> - gateway
>

IP Addresses:
squeezebox 192.168.2.152
mac-mini 192.168.2.140
belkin AP 192.168.2.1
wifi bridge 192.168.2.145
linux router lan 192.168.2.138
linux router wan 192.168.1.3
draytek adsl 192.168.1.1

The linux box runs DNS, DHCP and routing (iptables NAT masquerade), so the Squeezebox uses
192.168.2.138 for all of: gateway, DNS, DHCP. Radio and RSS work fine (other than the
radio glitch mentioned).

>> 2. Radio stations sometimes simply stop, as if I'd pressed stop on the
>> remote. I suspect
>> that the connection might have been dropped at the server end, but is
>> this maybe a local networking issue?
>
> I'd suspect this to be network issues. I've seen this, too.

Do you mean local issues, or internet issues?

>
>> 2. Internet access is via a Linux (Fedora 4) router (using iptables) and
>> then a Draytek
>> ADSL router (Linux box WAN port is on its DMZ). The Squeezebox has all
>> ports access out onto the internet.
>
> Who's the DHCP server in your network (if you're using it)?
>
> --
>
> Michael
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> Help translate SlimServer by using the
> SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
>
>

dean
2005-10-28, 08:58
Andrew, since you are running your own DNS server, do you see a
logged request for a host in squeezenetwork.com?

Also, can you go into the player setup menu "View Current Settings"
and list what you see there?

Thanks,

dean

On Oct 28, 2005, at 6:06 AM, Andrew Heald wrote:

> Thank you - all good questions. Here's my reply:
>
> On Fri, October 28, 2005 1:42 pm, Michael Herger wrote:
>
>>> 1. I can't access SqueezeNetwork. I just get a message that it is
>>> unable
>>> to connect and I'm never given a PIN.
>>>
>>
>> Please give some more detail about your network configuration, for
>> server
>> and SB2:
>>
>> - IP address
>> - gateway
>>
>>
>
> IP Addresses:
> squeezebox 192.168.2.152
> mac-mini 192.168.2.140
> belkin AP 192.168.2.1
> wifi bridge 192.168.2.145
> linux router lan 192.168.2.138
> linux router wan 192.168.1.3
> draytek adsl 192.168.1.1
>
> The linux box runs DNS, DHCP and routing (iptables NAT masquerade),
> so the Squeezebox uses
> 192.168.2.138 for all of: gateway, DNS, DHCP. Radio and RSS work
> fine (other than the
> radio glitch mentioned).
>
>
>>> 2. Radio stations sometimes simply stop, as if I'd pressed stop
>>> on the
>>> remote. I suspect
>>> that the connection might have been dropped at the server end,
>>> but is
>>> this maybe a local networking issue?
>>>
>>
>> I'd suspect this to be network issues. I've seen this, too.
>>
>
> Do you mean local issues, or internet issues?
>
>
>>
>>
>>> 2. Internet access is via a Linux (Fedora 4) router (using
>>> iptables) and
>>> then a Draytek
>>> ADSL router (Linux box WAN port is on its DMZ). The Squeezebox
>>> has all
>>> ports access out onto the internet.
>>>
>>
>> Who's the DHCP server in your network (if you're using it)?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------------
>> Help translate SlimServer by using the
>> SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
>>
>>

Andrew Heald
2005-10-28, 13:46
Thank you for your prompt reply, Dean. I'm home again now and I've fired up ethereal on
the Linux router/server and I have a reason for the failure...

The squeezebox connects to the router/DNS/DHCP via the wireless bridge.
The Mac Mini, however, is connected entirely by wire.

I have configured my firewall to allow internet and DNS only to "registered" machines
whose IP address matches their MAC address. There is no firewall between the Mac and the
Squeeze so everything is free to pass between them. The Mac gets internet from the router
because it's IP/MAC do match, so it's able to supply internet radio to the Squeeze. But...
The wireless bridge is replacing the Squeeze MAC address with it's own in all packets it
passes through. The Mac doesn't care, but my router firewall does and refuses to supply
DNS or internet services!

I've adjusted the IP/MAC pair on that firewall rule. I'm now connected and listening to
rain through the internet when there isn't any outside. ;-)

Thanks, chaps, for indulging me and my questions while I got my lateral thinking into gear.

This doesn't help with my radio reliability, but I'll look into that a bit more too.

Andrew.

On Fri, October 28, 2005 4:58 pm, dean blackketter wrote:
> Andrew, since you are running your own DNS server, do you see a
> logged request for a host in squeezenetwork.com?
>
> Also, can you go into the player setup menu "View Current Settings"
> and list what you see there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> dean