PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using the Qnap TS-101 NAS yet?

pedalhead
2005-10-28, 02:21
Hi @. I'm considering purchasing one of these NAS boxes to function as my media server. Just wondering if anyone is using one yet & could comment on their performance/suitability etc. Many thanks.

http://www.multitask-computing.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=392&osCsid=108586d1143c63848235ca1ee17edfea

Fifer
2005-10-28, 02:42
I don't think it has shipped yet. I'm planning to buy one too.

Neil Cameron
2005-10-28, 03:04
Looks fascinating; can we have confirmation from Slimdevices that they will
be producing device specific versions of Slimserver in the future for this
product...?

--
Neil

"pedalhead"
<pedalhead.1xlv7n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote in message news:pedalhead.1xlv7n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com...
>
> Hi @. I'm considering purchasing one of these NAS boxes to function as
> my media server. Just wondering if anyone is using one yet & could
> comment on their performance/suitability etc. Many thanks.
>
> http://www.multitask-computing.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=392&osCsid=108586d1143c63848235ca1ee17edfea
>
>
> --
> pedalhead

mherger
2005-10-28, 05:43
> Looks fascinating; can we have confirmation from Slimdevices that they
> will
> be producing device specific versions of Slimserver in the future for
> this product...?

What's specific about this product?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Fifer
2005-10-28, 05:57
Nothing AFAIAA, it's a standard NAS running Linux and should be happy with bog standard Slimserver.

ultra238a
2005-10-28, 07:28
Hi,

Anybody in the UK (London specifically) can come along to the Mac Expo show at Olympia today and tomorrow and see not only the Qnap TS-101 in action but a very sexy white boxed SB3 and a very sexy black boxed SB3 connected to the TS-101.

The Qnap TS-101 will be shipping around mid-November.

On the Cooltopia stand.

Thanks

Paul
Progressive Consumer Electronics Ltd

Neil Cameron
2005-10-28, 07:58
Quoting from the product description on the Advanced MP3 Players web site
(www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1038&usersessid=62629e5d96f1b06bb06361d32820eb93):

"Can the version of Slimserver on the Qnap TS-101 be upgraded?
When Slimdevices release a new updated version of Slimserver then a special
installation of Slimsever will also be released just for the Qnap TS-101.
All the Squeezebox owner needs to do is download the file and put it in the
"Update" directory on the Qnap TS-101 and restart the box. As the Qnap
TS-101 starts up it will check to see if there is a file in the "Update"
directory and if it finds one it will install the new version of the server
software automatically."

It was the words 'special version' that made me ask the question...

--
Neil

"Michael Herger" <slim (AT) herger (DOT) net> wrote in
message news:op.szcwad1bkpbrd7 (AT) chtvdwbe198 (DOT) tierverkehr.ch...
> Looks fascinating; can we have confirmation from Slimdevices that they
> will
> be producing device specific versions of Slimserver in the future for
> this product...?

What's specific about this product?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Andrew Heald
2005-10-28, 08:11
> It was the words 'special version' that made me ask the question...

I'd guess that the "special version" just has daemon startup scripts specific to that
Linux distro and a "deployment" script of some sort. It's likely to be a simple
repackaging of the standard SlimServer.

Andrew.

ultra238a
2005-10-28, 09:44
Special version will be just the normal Linux server release pre-compiled for the PPC CPU in the Qnap TS-101.

You'll just drop the file in the update directory and reboot the TS-101 and on reboot it will auto install the new version of the server.

The Qnap TS-101 running Slimserver will only be available from Cooltopia.com and our other Squeezebox resellers (if they decide to take the product on). Qnap TS-101 without Slimserver pre-installed will be available from other retail outlets.

Hope this helps.

Paul

orrinc
2005-10-28, 10:03
Will the Qsnap be available in the US? If so, when, from whom, and how much?

Orrin

ultra238a
2005-10-29, 04:28
We are hoping to have the Qnap TS-101 and TS-401T available in the US by the end of November.

Regards

Paul

gingerneil
2005-10-29, 05:18
seems very expensive considering this can easily be done with a linkstation....

ultra238a
2005-10-29, 05:38
This product is designed to work out of the box as a SlimServer - so end users that don't have the Linux knowledge to perform the update can use it. Plus the TS-101 is significantly more powerful than the standard LinkStation and a lot quieter.

Paul

orrinc
2005-10-29, 09:49
How much will they cost here? (complete- shipping, taxes, etc.)

dean
2005-10-29, 10:00
Where is here?

On Oct 29, 2005, at 9:49 AM, orrinc wrote:

>
> How much will they cost here? (complete- shipping, taxes, etc.)
>
>
> --
> orrinc
>

Dave Edwards
2005-10-29, 11:32
After my experience with the NSLU2, I really doubt that 64MB will be enough RAM for most people to use this device.

If the RAM can't be upgraded, then I would suggest waiting for one with a lot more RAM. I'll be first in the queue for one with 256MB :)

Dave

orrinc
2005-10-29, 15:49
Here is in the US! I happen to be in Los Angeles, although that shouldn't affect the price!

Will they be stocked in the US, or shipped directly from Britain?

agentsmith
2005-10-30, 18:09
seems very expensive considering this can easily be done with a linkstation....

Has anyone tried running the Buffalo Linkstation with SlimServer on a real life environment, i.e. with lots of music loaded?

My geek friend helped me to install SlimServer on a Linkstation 2 with 160GB HDD, directly connected to a Fast Ethernet Port.

I had about 60GB of FLAC music loaded then. And the result was SLOWWWWWWW. Boot up takes about 5 minutes. An every Remote Click takes at least half a minute, some times up to 2 minutes.

It really seems the LS2 does not have enough RAM and/or CPU power to handle. Mine was an LS2 with a MIPS processor.

If anyone has positive experience running it, especially on a system with hundreds or thousands of songs, I would be interested in what trick you used to optimize it.

ultra238a
2005-10-31, 04:05
There may be an opportunity to boost the memory on the TS-101 to either 128Mb or 256Mb and we are currently looking in to this. More info as soon as I have it.

Paul

jplatner
2005-11-16, 12:30
What is the benefit of the Qnap device over a regular network hard drive? seem sto me you could connect the newtork hard drive to the pc, install slimserver, install the music files, then disconnect from the pc and just run the network hard drive with squeezebox. is this naive???

DrNic
2005-11-16, 14:47
What is the benefit of the Qnap device over a regular network hard drive? seem sto me you could connect the newtork hard drive to the pc, install slimserver, install the music files, then disconnect from the pc and just run the network hard drive with squeezebox. is this naive???

I think the overall aim is to remove the "server PC" from the equation totally. With this device you do not need the PC on at all (except for ripping CDs etc) and as it is fanless will be quiet and hopefully use less electricity. One concern is the power of these devices and if they can cope with large libraries etc.
I personally am waiting for the more powerful (and larger memory) TS-401T, but as yet there is still no further info or sign of it appearing on the websites....

Nic

EDIT: Sorry I've just reread your post!
The slimserver software has to be installed on the NAS, not all NAS have embedded server software capable of having software installed on them, and alot are vastly underspec'd to cope...
Hope that helps!

jplatner
2005-11-16, 15:07
Do you know of any other Network server devices that DO allow installation of software?

thanks

jplatner
2005-11-16, 15:11
sorry, I meant "Network Hard Drive"

like this
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10592
or this
http://wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=150&Language=en

DrNic
2005-11-16, 15:25
Do you know of any other Network server devices that DO allow installation of software?

thanks

I believe the Linkstation (Buffalo) and the "hacked" version by Kuro are capable of running SS, also the Lacie Ethernet Disc is too. Not sure how well they run thought - but a few on here report good results with the Linkstation. Try searching the fora for more info.

Nic

agentsmith
2005-11-16, 17:49
I believe the Linkstation (Buffalo) and the "hacked" version by Kuro are capable of running SS, also the Lacie Ethernet Disc is too. Not sure how well they run thought - but a few on here report good results with the Linkstation. Try searching the fora for more info.

Nic

I have a Linkstation 2 that runs SlimServer fine. The only drawback is speed. I have about 350 FLAC encoded albums. The speed from the Slim remote control is latent, about half a second delay or more for each click most of the time. From the web interface it is even slower.

ReScan takes a long time, I generally have to leave it on overnight.

So I generally use a Windoze PC mapped to the LinkStation drive and run SlimServer from there. The upside is I have 2 servers running.

funkstar
2005-11-17, 04:26
The ReadyNAS 600 and ReadyNAS X6 from Infrant (http://www.infrant.com) also officially support Slimserver. Their products are much higher end than the TS-101 though.

pauldesmond
2005-12-15, 04:53
Does anyone have any information on the embedded CPU inside the TS-101?

There is discussion that the next version of SlimServer is going to require more resources due to MySQL - is the SoC going to be powerful enough to run large libraries - especially with that amount of memory?

Paul