PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to my slimserver

ocabeza
2005-10-27, 20:47
Hi. I can get onto my network ONLY after I use a static ip address for my s2. Even after that, I can't connect to my slimserver (6.2).
Should I set the IP address to my PC's IP address?

Any ideas?

MrC
2005-10-27, 21:06
No, do not set your SB's static IP address to your PCs IP address. All devices must have unique IP addresses.

I presume you have a router?

What are the following addresses of your router, PC, and SB2:

*) IP Address
*) Netmask
*) Broadcast Address
*) DNS server
*) Gateway

ocabeza
2005-10-28, 06:15
Hi MrC. Thanks for your quick response and help.

Yes, I have a router - netgear wireless MR814 - 802.11b

PC Router SB2
*) IP Address 192.168.0.6 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2
*) Netmask 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
*) Broadcast Address
*) DNS server 68.168.96.192
*) Gateway 192.168.0.1

I can connect to the squeezenetwork, but not my PC.

Thanks for your help.

Maditude
2005-10-28, 07:40
> Yes, I have a router - netgear wireless MR814 - 802.11b
>
>[snip details]

Everything looks okay there, I'll bet you're running SlimServer on WinXP, right? I'll also bet that you've got the default WinXP firewall working. The QUICK solution is to disable your WinXP firewall. The BETTER solution is to figure out which ports SlimServer uses to talk to the players (I think it's usually 9000 and 3483), but I could be mis-remembering those.

ocabeza
2005-10-28, 08:23
Magnitude,

I am using windows XP. I'm using ZoneAlarm as my firewall. I've tried to disable it and I still can't connect.

any other ideas?

Maditude
2005-10-28, 08:33
> I am using windows XP. I'm using ZoneAlarm as my firewall. I've
> tried to disable it and I still can't connect.

Are you sure SlimServer is running? If you point your web-browser at http://localhost:9000 do you get anything? If NOT, make sure you've set up the "service" (it's somewhere in ControlPanel -> Administrative Tools) and set it to "log on" as an actual user, not the 'Local System' or whatever the default is.

If SlimServer IS running, but you still can't get the player to talk to it, I'd suspect your firewall is still causing troubles. If you had another pc, you could try:

telnet 192.168.0.6 9000

(presuming your winxp box running slimserver is still at that IP address)

That would confirm whether or not your server is responding...

eschurig
2005-11-04, 23:15
Matitude,

I read your post with interest because I'm having a very similar problem. Did you solve your problem and if so, how?

My squeezebox 2 arrived in the mail today. With enthusiasm, I unpacked it, plugged it in and tried to set up the network. The first unexpected result occured when I tried obtain an IP address automatically. The IP address came back 169.254.160.9. The two computers on my network also use DHCP and have been assigned 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 by the DHCP server as observed using ipconfig. My router which is set up as a DHCP server and is the default gateway has an ip address of 192.168.0.1. The router uplink is connected to my cable modem. I was expecting the obtained ip address to be on the same subnet as the two computers. With this ip address, the squeezebox tried to connect to the slimsever and failed.

I then tried assigning the squeezebox 2 ip address manually as follows:

ip 192.168.0.4
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gw 192.168.0.1
DNS server 63.240.76.198

Squeezebox seems to find the slimserver since it says "looking for slimservers" and then comes back with ip address 192.168.0.2 which is the computer where slimserver is installed. It then responds that "setup is complete" and I proceed to try to connect to the slimserver. Again I receive the "cannot connect to slimserver" message.

I checked the windows firewall and it is turned off, although the slim server installation seems to have added the correct exceptions to the exception list as shown below:
slimserver 3483 tcp
slimserver 3483 udp
slimserver 9000 tcp

I didn't really think I would have a firewall problem since I've had softsqueeze running successfully on both computers.

The other symptom I observe is that the link light is blinking constantly.

Any help you can give would be appreciated as I'm excited to get this thing working.

Ed

Maditude
2005-11-04, 23:49
eschurig wrote:

> Matitude,
>
> I read your post with interest because I'm having a very
> similar problem. Did you solve your problem and if so, how?

Who, me? I think you meant to address ocabeza...

> My squeezebox 2 arrived in the mail today. With enthusiasm, I
> unpacked it, plugged it in and tried to set up the network.
> The first unexpected result occured when I tried obtain an IP
> address automatically. The IP address came back 169.254.160.9.

A very sure sign that your new squeezebox isn't able to talk to your DHCP server, which is a pretty good indicator that you've got network problems (bad cable? bad port on the hub/switch/router? bad wireless signal?)

> The two computers on my network also use DHCP and have been
> assigned 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 by the DHCP server as
> observed using ipconfig. My router which is set up as a DHCP
> server and is the default gateway has an ip address of
> 192.168.0.1. The router uplink is connected to my cable modem.
> I was expecting the obtained ip address to be on the same
> subnet as the two computers. With this ip address, the
> squeezebox tried to connect to the slimsever and failed.

You mean the 169.254.160.9 address? Yup, that'll never work...

> I then tried assigning the squeezebox 2 ip address manually as
> follows:
>
> ip 192.168.0.4
> subnet mask 255.255.255.0
> default gw 192.168.0.1
> DNS server 63.240.76.198
>
> Squeezebox seems to find the slimserver since it says "looking
> for slimservers" and then comes back with ip address
> 192.168.0.2 which is the computer where slimserver is
> installed. It then responds that "setup is complete" and I
> proceed to try to connect to the slimserver. Again I receive
> the "cannot connect to slimserver" message.

That's odd.

[snip]

> I didn't really think I would have a firewall problem since
> I've had softsqueeze running successfully on both computers.

Agreed. I think it's a network issue, not windows or firewall related in your case. Try a different cable, or plug it into a different port on your switch/hub/router. If you don't have a spare cable, try using one that one of your other pc's uses (leave the pc running slimserver alone, of course).

> The other symptom I observe is that the link light is blinking
> constantly.

Which link light is blinking? On the squeezebox? On the switch/hub/router?

> Any help you can give would be appreciated as I'm excited to
> get this thing working.

Hope you get it working soon, it's a nice toy!

eschurig
2005-11-05, 01:48
Thanks for the response.

My setup is wired and I had already tried several cables and ports including one that works on one of my computers but this didn't fix it. I tried to ping after manually specifying the ip address and ping failed. I checked to see if the router could see the squeezebox 2 and it couldn't so I downloaded the latest firmware for my router and that didn't seem to make a difference. However, after this effort failed and I was trying to figure out what to do next I noticed the squeezebox 2 screen indicating it was ready to download firmware. The only way it could do that is if it was connected to the network. The firmware downloaded fine and for the next couple of minutes I was connected to slimserver and able to see my music files. The router and slimserver recognized the squeezebox2. Happily I carried the squeezebox to it's intended location (a much longer cable), hooked it up and I was back where I started with "can't connect to slimserver. I brought it back near my router (short cable) where I had it temporarily working and it still fails. I have no idea what made it work but I don't seem to be able to repeat it.

This is almost more frustrating now that I saw it work. One question I have when entering the ip addresses manually is what to enter for the DNS? I used the name server obtained by the router over the internet because I don't have a local name server running (as far as I know).

Thanks again for responding.

Ed

Maditude
2005-11-05, 02:22
Ed wrote:

[snip]

> The firmware downloaded fine and for the next couple of minutes
> I was connected to slimserver and able to see my music files.
> The router and slimserver recognized the squeezebox2. Happily
> I carried the squeezebox to it's intended location (a much
> longer cable), hooked it up and I was back where I started with
> "can't connect to slimserver. I brought it back near my router
> (short cable) where I had it temporarily working and it still
> fails. I have no idea what made it work but I don't seem to be
> able to repeat it.

Oh man. At any rate, you've ruled out problems with your slimserver setup. Could be a short-circuit in your ethernet cable, or a bad ethernet port on the squeezebox. (I've got two wired sb2's, and never had to do anything other than plug them in and power them on -- they just saw the server, and were all set).

> This is almost more frustrating now that I saw it work. One
> question I have when entering the ip addresses manually is what
> to enter for the DNS?

Use the one that your router gets from your ISP. (DHCP on most routers will do this automagically). For what it's worth, DNS shouldn't matter if you are just interested in playing your local music files.

If I were you, I'd try the following, in this order:

1) Beg/Borrow/Steal another ethernet cable from a friend/neighbor, and see if that works any better.

2) Send an email to support@SlimDevices.com, and point them to this thread, so that hopefully they don't make you go through all the steps you've already tried. Or call 'em on Monday: 650-210-9400 during normal business hours.

It could just be a flaky network interface on your brand-new squeezebox (sh*t happens in the mail).

Good luck!

eschurig
2005-11-05, 20:12
Well I've spent several more hours dinking with this thing and have had it successfully connect 4 or 5 times. One time music played for 10 minutes or so before the connection was lost in the middle of a song. The next time I played music for about 20 minutes, turned it off and came back an hour later only to find that I couldn't connect. Most of the time it just doesn't work. I've seen it work with at least two different cables. I've seen it work with a very short cable and a very long cable. Of course it has taken the opportunity to fail in every scenario. One thing that seems to be constant is that if DHCP gets an IP address the unit seems to work. The link light on the router shows a 100Mbit connection and shows activity even when the unit is failing.

I think your suggestion to contact slimdevices may be a good idea. The only other thing I can think to try is a different router or get rid of the router and use a cross over cable for a direct connect to a computer. My current router is a Netgear RP614v2. I don't have a cross over cable and I don't have a second router so these options will take some time. Has anyone mentioned sensitivity to certain routers?