PDA

View Full Version : EAC vs Musicmatch

sfraser
2005-10-27, 08:02
Hi, I am new to the SB2 SS products but have been storing wav files on hardrives for years. Quick qustion, I see alot of people like using EAC product for ripping CD's. What are your opinions regarding file/sound quality of using a product like Musicmatch to rip CD's in WAV format VS EAC in unsecure mode? I will assume as long as there are no bit errors in the ripping process the files will be identical and therefore sound the same?

thanks

Scott

jhwilliams
2005-10-27, 18:03
Hi, I am new to the SB2 SS products but have been storing wav files on hardrives for years. Quick qustion, I see alot of people like using EAC product for ripping CD's. What are your opinions regarding file/sound quality of using a product like Musicmatch to rip CD's in WAV format VS EAC in unsecure mode? I will assume as long as there are no bit errors in the ripping process the files will be identical and therefore sound the same?

If you assume not bit errors, then yes, they will sound the same ;-)

There will undoubtedly be errors, but as to how significant an effect they have -- that all will depend on a variety of things, especially your equipment + setup. I'd try an experiment on a few key pieces of music that you have and make an evaluation on that.

I've never bothered with a comparison between EAC unsecure mode and another piece of ripping software - EAC probably has the edge due to the features it uses (even unsecure), but if I had to take a view, I'd say that it would be impossible to tell the difference by ear.

I have re-ripped everything I have using EAC secure to FLAC - of course my starting point was an AAC/MP3 library so it was an easy decision.

sfraser
2005-10-27, 19:59

There will undoubtedly be errors, but as to how significant an effect they have -- that all will depend on a variety of things, especially your equipment + setup. I'd try an experiment on a few key pieces of music that you have and make an evaluation on that.

I've never bothered with a comparison between EAC unsecure mode and another piece of ripping software - EAC probably has the edge due to the features it uses (even unsecure), but if I had to take a view, I'd say that it would be impossible to tell the difference by ear.

I have re-ripped everything I have using EAC secure to FLAC - of course my starting point was an AAC/MP3 library so it was an easy decision.

Thanks for the reply. One thing I like about musicmatch is that I can easily create the following c:\artist name\cdtitle\songtitle.wav.. Now I know I can do it with EAC, but as far as I can tell, it requires me to manually type in the artist and album title, to have them created as separate directories? Did I miss somehting?

Scott

pfarrell
2005-10-27, 20:14
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 19:59 -0700, sfraser wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. One thing I like about musicmatch is that I can
> easily create the following c:\artist name\cdtitle\songtitle.wav.. Now
> I know I can do it with EAC, but as far as I can tell, it requires me
> to manually type in the artist and album title, to have them created as
> separate directories? Did I miss somehting?

You bet. You have to get the data from freedb or dccb. There is a button
for it, and sometimes it automagically gets it.

Then you have to tell it to put the music in a file name like
c:\%D\%C\%N - %T

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

sfraser
2005-10-28, 05:10
Ah Thanks Pat! I'm aware of the online CD database's but where was screwing up is creating the local directory structure. I will give those paramaters a try tonight. I did not know you could place directory "\" between the optional paramaters.

Thanks Again!

Scott

edwin2005
2005-11-10, 10:23

What are the best setting to use in eac when ripping to FLAC? Do you know if tags are supported in FLAC and if so which editor do you prefer?
I'm switching over from MP3 (CDEX) to FLAC. But i want to do it right the first time before i do all cd's

Thanks.

NÚstor
2005-11-10, 11:10
What are the best setting to use in eac when ripping to FLAC? Do you know if tags are supported in FLAC and if so which editor do you prefer?
I'm switching over from MP3 (CDEX) to FLAC. But i want to do it right the first time before i do all cd's

Thanks.

Im using this with EAC:

Program used for compression:
E:\soft\flacattack\flacattack.exe

Additional command line options:
"E:\soft\flacattack\flacattack.ini" %s "%a" "%t" "%g" "%y" "%n" "%m" %o

For additional tagging, search for The Godfather, although lately Ive been using foobar a lot.

NÚstor
2005-11-10, 11:14
The relevant sections in my flacattack.ini are:

[FLAC_INFO]
EXE=e:\soft\flac\flac.exe
PATH=Z:\SlimServer\music\%artist - %album
FILENAME=%artist - %album
COMMENT=
FILETYPE=image
COMPRESSION_LEVEL=8
VERIFY=n
ARTIST_TAG=y
ALBUM_TAG=y
TITLE_TAG=y
DATE_TAG=y
GENRE_TAG=y
TRACKNUMBER_TAG=y
COMMENT_TAG=n
OTHER_OPTIONS=

[METAFLAC_INFO]
USE=y
EXE=e:\soft\flac\metaflac.exe
OPTIONS=--add-replay-gain

[LOG_INFO]
FLAC_LOG_USE=y
FLAC_LOG_PATH=Z:\SlimServer\music\%artist - %album
FLAC_LOG_FILENAME=%artist - %album

[TAG_INFO]
EMBED_CUE=y
EMBED_LOG=n
DELETE_CUE=n
DELETE_LOG=n
EXE=e:\soft\eac\tag.exe

[CUE_INFO]
FILENAME=%artist - %album
STRIP_INTERNAL=n

dwc
2005-11-10, 13:54
in eac i do the following...

auto-access freedb on unknown cd's

filename: %D\%C\%N-%T

compression options:
use flac.exe
addl command line options: -5 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

clumsyoik
2005-11-11, 16:03
Scott

I don't imagine anyone has ever bothered doing benchmarks of ripping accuracy between MusicMatch and Unsecure EAC. The whole point of EAC is the secure mode.

Basically, if you don't care about quality (or your CD's are in perfect condition), use whatever you like.

If you want perfect quality (especially if your CD's are scratched), then use EAC in secure mode.

That's all there is to it.