PDA

View Full Version : Ordering from the UK

gingerneil
2005-10-27, 05:52
I am tempted by a wired SB2. Can anyone comment on the VAT etc when shipped from the US ?? Anyway of avoiding it ?

mattybain
2005-10-27, 06:11
I don't think you can avoid it as it is charged by UPS (including VAT on the delivery cost as well).

If anybody does know a way of avoiding it then plase let us know as I am about to order a couple of SB3's.

They had wired SB2's at Scan yesterday for 117 GBP (124), not sure you are going to be able to beat that even at $179.

gingerneil
2005-10-27, 06:33
Yep.. saw that today, which is what started me thinking about where I could get one the cheapest....

Fifer
2005-10-27, 06:33
I've no experience of UPS but many carriers charge a handling fee for the documentation associated with customs and VAT on imports. There may be duty to be paid as well as VAT. Factoring in the need to return the product to the US if any warranty attention is required, I always go for UK purchase of techy products unless the price difference is massive.

mattybain
2005-10-27, 06:58
I don't have the documentation to hand (hidden from wife!!) but I know I was just charged VAT at 17.5% on the cost of my SB2 from Slimdevices + the postage fee. There was no duty or handling fee to pay (unlike Bazil where the duty is 60%!!!)

If that is $25 (cheapest delivery cost) then the cost is going to be $240 which at the current exchange rate is 135.

gingerneil
2005-10-27, 07:30
Got one from scan...
They have gone from the todayonly page, but thanksfully I'd already added to the basket earlier this morning..! :)
125 incl postage for a wired version.

kitschcamp
2005-10-27, 07:41
It's still 125.71 including postage now!

mattybain
2005-10-27, 07:50
Got one from scan...
They have gone from the todayonly page, but thanksfully I'd already added to the basket earlier this morning..! :)

Does that work? I have often wondered as that has happened to me before with the today only but I have never actually gone through with it.

I see that they have now (this afternoon) lowered their everyday price to 117.49 ex delivery. Makes a bit of a mockery of the todayonly price yesterday!

clumsyoik
2005-10-27, 08:54
Got one from scan...

Well I was just ordering one, but it's unbelievable the amount of personal information you have to give websites these days.

Frankly I don't want to buy from anywhere that insists on knowing my mothers maiden name - anyone who knows that is already 33% of the way to stealing my bank account. (They'd also need my memorable date and password, but still)

If there's another (cheap) source of cheap SB2's that isn't so intrusive, I'd like to know...

ceejay
2005-10-27, 08:56
Frankly I don't want to buy from anywhere that insists on knowing my mothers maiden name - anyone who knows that is already 33% of the way to stealing my bank account. (They'd also need my memorable date and password, but still)

Of course, you don't have to use the real one! All you have to do is make a note of which name you've given them...

Ceejay

mattybain
2005-10-27, 09:01
I have been using scan direct and on-line for about 8 years now and have never had a problem with them. I wouldn't worry and just use a false one like Ceejay suggested. It is just in case you forget your password.

clumsyoik
2005-10-27, 09:12
I have been using scan direct and on-line for about 8 years now and have never had a problem with them. I wouldn't worry and just use a false one like Ceejay suggested. It is just in case you forget your password.

Woohoo! I've ordered it!

I must just be in a paranoid mood today.

Now hoping that it works better than softsqueeze :-)

max.spicer
2005-10-27, 09:14
A friend of mine ordered a hard disk from Scan a few years ago and was slightly surprised to find it shipped to him in nothing but a Jiffy bag! Surprisingly the disk was fine.

Max

Fifer
2005-10-27, 10:31
I've used Scan a few times (last time was when I bought my SB2) and find them to be one of the better on-line vendors.