PDA

View Full Version : Returning my Roku for a Squeezebox3

pedalhead
2005-10-27, 05:36
Well, thank goodness I found this site and did some research (albeit after impulse-buying a Soundbridge 1000 a couple of weeks ago). After struggling to get WMA lossless working (and finally giving up), I've come to realise that the Soundbridge is a seriously underspecced device, particularly for an audiophile. 802.11b is simply not sufficient for lossless transmission when both the Roku and the media server are wireless, and the native file format support of the Soundbridge is woefully inadequate. I think the fact that the new "improved" model converts everything to 48k speaks volumes about the target audience & the fact that the Roku is built down to a price.

Can't wait to receive my SqueezeBox3 & really get this wireless music thing rolling! Cheers.

gingerneil
2005-10-27, 05:39
Welcome to the fold ! And good on you ! Spread the word....

MrKegFlex
2005-10-27, 05:55
I also tried the Roku first as it is advertised better... ie, it's available in your local Best Buy when your shopping. But, I could never even get it to work after a frustrating week of trying everything. Returned it and then stumbled upon this site. Got some more feedback on another forum site I visit and ordered the wireless SB2. Haven't regretted it since... so easy to setup and it works flawlessly. People that visit my house are always asking where I got it and compliment how easy it is to operate. I don't think you'll regret the move to replace the Roku with a squeezebox.

ModelCitizen
2005-10-27, 06:20
both the Roku and the media server are wireless.
I'd be a bit careful about this, you could well get drop-outs if streaming flac or pcm (although now that flac is decoded in SB firmware the problem may be alleviated). Normal set up is to have the server wired and the Squeezebox wireless.
MC

pedalhead
2005-10-27, 06:25
I'd be a bit careful about this, you could well get drop-outs if streaming flac or pcm (although now that flac is decoded in SB firmware the problem may be alleviated). Normal set up is to have the server wired and the Squeezebox wireless.
MC

Yeah I'm hoping the 802.11g will help with that initially, but medium term I'm probably looking at a NAS solution that'll be hardwired in the study.

Fifer
2005-10-27, 06:36
I use a wireless connection to both server and router and stream .flac without a problem. The server, router and SB are in different rooms and I've no wired network installed. I didn't really have a problem when I was doing this with the SB1 (no local decoding) using 802.11b either. I suppose my environment must be reasonably good.

pedalhead
2005-10-27, 06:39
I use a wireless connection to both server and router without a problem. I didn't really have a problem when I was doing this with the SB1 using 802.11b either.

Is your music lossless? If so, you've achieved something that I wasn't reliably able to with the Roku.

Fifer
2005-10-27, 06:40
Yes, all my music is ripped to .flac.

pedalhead
2005-10-27, 06:47
Yes, all my music is ripped to .flac.

edit: I read your post incorrectly :-)

max.spicer
2005-10-27, 06:55
My server and squeezebox2 are both wireless, with my entire audio collection being flac. I've _never_ had a dropout. The squeezebox is by the router, the server is upstairs.

Max

MC