PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer seriously Broken



agentsmith
2005-10-26, 21:01
As posted by previous posts, 6.2 is seriously broken. With server either not starting OR stopping itself continuously. I tried the 6.5 beta with similar results.

For your information I ended up wiping an entire hard drive of a Thinkpad X20 with a brand new install of Windows XP SP1 and ONLY SlimServer running. SlimServer 6.2 still refuses to start. Beta 6.5 started OK and running so far so good.

*** I would assert that the production release of 6.2 is broken until Slim Devices provides a Solution ***


>>>>Installing SlimServer 6.2 put an icon in my Windows task tray, but clicking it results in a "SlimServer Starting" balloon that never completes starting. That is, the application doesn't launch so far as I can tell. The balloon just hangs there forever.>>>>

kdf
2005-10-26, 21:14
On 26-Oct-05, at 9:01 PM, agentsmith wrote:

>
> As posted by previous posts, 6.2 is seriously broken. With server
> either
> not starting OR stopping itself continuously. I tried the 6.5 beta with
> similar results.
>
now that 6.2 is released, 6.5 is considered experimental, and not a
measure of improvement at this time. There have been a number of
previously unknown problems with 6.2 that are fixed in 6.2.1 builds.
Please do consider trying them.

> For your information I ended up wiping an entire hard drive of a
> Thinkpad X20 with a brand new install of Windows XP SP1 and ONLY
> SlimServer running. SlimServer 6.2 still refuses to start. Beta 6.5
> started OK and running so far so good

that's good to hear. It would be great if you have success with 6.5,
but if you do find that something isn't right (particularly with the
web interface) many real fixes are in 6.2.1. 6.5 currently includes
some web interface changes that aren't complete and may pose problems
for some skins (hopefully less problematic with Default).

> *** I would assert that the production release of 6.2 is broken until
> Slim Devices provides a Solution ***
>
fair enough, but many (including myself) are playing music very nicely
with it.
Please let us know how you fare with 6.5 or 6.2.1. Dan is hoping to
have 6.2.1 out in a week or so with as many fixes as possible as a
result of the wide release of 6.2.

cheers,
kdf

agentsmith
2005-10-27, 04:52
On 26-Oct-05, at 9:01 PM, agentsmith wrote:

>
> As posted by previous posts, 6.2 is seriously broken. With server
> either
> not starting OR stopping itself continuously. I tried the 6.5 beta with
> similar results.
>
now that 6.2 is released, 6.5 is considered experimental, and not a
measure of improvement at this time. There have been a number of
previously unknown problems with 6.2 that are fixed in 6.2.1 builds.
Please do consider trying them.


> For your information I ended up wiping an entire hard drive of a
> Thinkpad X20 with a brand new install of Windows XP SP1 and ONLY
> SlimServer running. SlimServer 6.2 still refuses to start. Beta 6.5
> started OK and running so far so good

that's good to hear. It would be great if you have success with 6.5,
but if you do find that something isn't right (particularly with the
web interface) many real fixes are in 6.2.1. 6.5 currently includes
some web interface changes that aren't complete and may pose problems
for some skins (hopefully less problematic with Default).


> *** I would assert that the production release of 6.2 is broken until
> Slim Devices provides a Solution ***
>
fair enough, but many (including myself) are playing music very nicely
with it.
Please let us know how you fare with 6.5 or 6.2.1. Dan is hoping to
have 6.2.1 out in a week or so with as many fixes as possible as a
result of the wide release of 6.2.

cheers,
kdf




* I will consider trying 6.2.1 when available. However, for me and others, the production version 6.2 is not working and the 6.5X beta version works most of the time.

* Just wondering, does 6.2.1. specifically adress this problem?

* Is there a known problem database and/or a workaround that users can apply?

* Understood that beta is caveat emptor, however, as of now, the beta is the only current distribution that is workable for me.

* Understood about the fact that some users are working fine, but that does not help those who has inaccessible 6.2 server.

* Anyhow in a "production" environment any "known problems" should have either a solution or a workaround. If not, according to IT Service Management best practice, it should be a high severity problem until service resumption.

*** Not trying to whine, I love the product so far with 1.5 weeks of ownership, despite my bad timing of buying before the SB3 release. But I just want to stress that there the build is broken.

kdf
2005-10-27, 08:56
On 27-Oct-05, at 4:52 AM, agentsmith wrote:

>
>
> * I will consider trying 6.2.1 when available. However, for me and
> others, the production version 6.2 is not working and the 6.5X beta
> version works most of the time.
>

6.2.1 pre-release builds are available here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/

> * Just wondering, does 6.2.1. specifically adress this problem?
it addresses many problems that have caused the server to stop already.
If it doesn't fix yours, please look in the windows event viewer and
report the message given there for the crash. Then, it will get fixed
for 6.2.1

> * Is there a known problem database and/or a workaround that users can
> apply?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com
you can create new reports or add comments to existing ones if you find
a match.
>
> * Understood that beta is caveat emptor, however, as of now, the beta
> is the only current distribution that is workable for me.

workable is good. There is a good chance 6.2.1 will work as well then.
Most of the core fixes that are in 6.5b1 so far are also in 6.2.1

> * Understood about the fact that some users are working fine, but that
> does not help those who has inaccessible 6.2 server.
>

absolutely, and there are people working hard to resolve that so 6.2.1
can be a much happier experience.

-kdf

technobear
2005-10-27, 11:40
I too am having big problems with 6.2 that never ever occurred with 6.1.

Every so often the music becomes intermittent. At this time, the SlimServer interface refuses to refresh on my laptop (the Server runs on an XP desktop). On checking the desktop, I find nothing wrong. No other applications are running. No screen savers or anything else to use up CPU cycles. The WAN monitor shows good signal to noise ratios so not a network problem (I'm using a WiFi 'g' network at 54 MBPS).

It's like SlimServer goes off into its own little world for a while. It eventually recovers, so far after about 10 minutes. It isn't scanning the library because activity on the second hard disk ceases while this is going on. I don't know what it's doing but I think I am going back to 6.1.

EDIT:
OK, just read some of the other bugs. Here is some more info. I only play WAV files and they are streamed to the Squeezebox 2 as WAV files. My server is a 2.4 GHz Athlon XP so no shortage of horsepower. The music hard disk is in an external box connected by firewire at 50 MBPS and is not accessed continuously when playing so no reason to suspect it can't keep up.

Thinking back, one thing that does seem to provoke the problem is using the remote interface on the laptop, particularly asking it to refresh. Even after closing the interface, the music remains intermittent for a few minutes before settling down once more. SlimServer is obviously working hard on something.

I turned off 'look for Artwork' as I don't have any so it's not that.

technobear
2005-10-27, 13:13
OK, it drove me nuts so I uninstalled 6.2 and reinstalled 6.1

Guess what? It is now playing perfectly again :-)

Sorry guys, SLIMSERVER 6.2 IS JUNK :-(

kdf
2005-10-27, 13:24
Quoting technobear <technobear.1xkumz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> OK, it drove me nuts so I uninstalled 6.2 and reinstalled 6.1
>
> Guess what? It is now playing perfectly again :-)
>
> Sorry guys, SLIMSERVER 6.2 IS JUNK :-(
>
thanks. I'm not sure I know where that error message comes from.
as long as you are happy wtih 6.1, that's cool.
-k

technobear
2005-10-27, 13:39
as long as you are happy wtih 6.1, that's cool.
-k
I'm happy my player is playing again :-)

I'm not happy that I no longer have the much improved web interface. Going back is a bit of a downer :-(

I look forward to the official 6.2.1

Jim Holtz
2005-10-27, 13:46
Hi KDF,

Thank you and all the rest of the folks involved in the software development. It's great!

My question, is the 6.2.1 an official release now? If so I'll download and upgrade 6.2 otherwise I'd rather wait.

Thanks!

Jim



On 27-Oct-05, at 4:52 AM, agentsmith wrote:

>
>
> * I will consider trying 6.2.1 when available. However, for me and
> others, the production version 6.2 is not working and the 6.5X beta
> version works most of the time.
>

6.2.1 pre-release builds are available here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/

> * Just wondering, does 6.2.1. specifically adress this problem?
it addresses many problems that have caused the server to stop already.
If it doesn't fix yours, please look in the windows event viewer and
report the message given there for the crash. Then, it will get fixed
for 6.2.1

> * Is there a known problem database and/or a workaround that users can
> apply?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com
you can create new reports or add comments to existing ones if you find
a match.
>
> * Understood that beta is caveat emptor, however, as of now, the beta
> is the only current distribution that is workable for me.

workable is good. There is a good chance 6.2.1 will work as well then.
Most of the core fixes that are in 6.5b1 so far are also in 6.2.1

> * Understood about the fact that some users are working fine, but that
> does not help those who has inaccessible 6.2 server.
>

absolutely, and there are people working hard to resolve that so 6.2.1
can be a much happier experience.

-kdf

kdf
2005-10-27, 13:55
Quoting Jim Holtz <Jim.Holtz.1xkw9b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Hi KDF,
>
> Thank you and all the rest of the folks involved in the software
> development. It's great!
>
> My question, is the 6.2.1 an official release now? If so I'll download
> and upgrade 6.2 otherwise I'd rather wait.

They 6.2.1 builds are still nightly releases. They are for those who have had
issues with 6.2 and wish to check if it has been resolved already before they
report a bug. Many fixes are already in them, but there are more to come.

If you prefer to wait for the official release, there will be an
announcement. Please do try to check the bugs listings to make sure
that your particular
problems are there (search fixed bugs as well, in case it is already been
fixed). If you don't see it, or add it, there is a chance that it won't be
fixed in 6.2.1

If you have problems with specific songs/streams, please feel free to attach
those songs/urls to relevant bugs, or new ones. If developers cannot
replicate, you may be asked for some log outputs.

-k

Patrick Dixon
2005-10-27, 14:15
I look forward to the official 6.2.1
__________________
ChrisProblem is Chris, if you don't post any error or debug messages, 6.2.1 many not get your problem fixed.

Many people have been running 6.2 nightlies for some time without any major problems; but it's only when it gets released to a wider audience, that these additional problems surface. It's a pain, but past experience says that they will get sorted out really quickly if you are prepared to help diagnose them.

agentsmith
2005-10-27, 18:23
On 27-Oct-05, at 4:52 AM, agentsmith wrote:

>
>
> * I will consider trying 6.2.1 when available. However, for me and
> others, the production version 6.2 is not working and the 6.5X beta
> version works most of the time.
>

6.2.1 pre-release builds are available here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/

> * Just wondering, does 6.2.1. specifically adress this problem?
it addresses many problems that have caused the server to stop already.
If it doesn't fix yours, please look in the windows event viewer and
report the message given there for the crash. Then, it will get fixed
for 6.2.1

> * Is there a known problem database and/or a workaround that users can
> apply?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com
you can create new reports or add comments to existing ones if you find
a match.
>
> * Understood that beta is caveat emptor, however, as of now, the beta
> is the only current distribution that is workable for me.

workable is good. There is a good chance 6.2.1 will work as well then.
Most of the core fixes that are in 6.5b1 so far are also in 6.2.1

> * Understood about the fact that some users are working fine, but that
> does not help those who has inaccessible 6.2 server.
>

absolutely, and there are people working hard to resolve that so 6.2.1
can be a much happier experience.

-kdf

Thanks for your answers.

First my apologies for sounding like a whiner or a troll. I am new to this product and do not know the proper avenues to post problems or download interim fixes. So essentially what I have been doing is asserting a problem without providing enough information.

With the 1 week or so playing with it, I have been very satisfied with the SB2. With 6.1 was working like a charm and compared very well with my sub $2000 SACD/DVDA player. I am planning to buy a Benchmark DAC1 to make this baby really sings.

I also understand that no other product has as much constant improvements with "nightly" beta releases. So the 6.2 release was just a transitional "production" release that somehow has bugs that affected a few unlucky souls. However, I still feel that 6.2 should have stayed in the "nightly beta" area. Hopefully 6.2.1 will fix my problem.

Just a thought that Slim is so fast in releasing that all this mumbling of mine is probably history after I tried out 6.2.1.

--------------

Description of my (could be past) problems:

Problem Symptom:
----------------
Server keeps stopping intermittently, usually within 1 minute after starting. This happens with oor without the SB2 playing any songs.

It sometimes fails to restart (or maybe it starts for a split second and then stops again?) For the time that it restarted, it stopped again in seconds.

Error is similar to this:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't locate object method "url" via package "Class::DBI::Object::Has::Been::Deleted" at /PerlApp/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 955."

I tried 6.5 beta with same result. But decided to reinstall OS from scratch, 6.2 still did not work, but 6.5 has been working fine for 1 day.

The problem started with the following configuration:

IBM Thinkpad X20 with 768MB RAM
Internal 20GB HDD for OS,
Docking Station 80GB HDD for Music
Windows XP SP2
Office XP
SlimServer 6.2
* Both 6.2 and 6.5 had same symptoms listed above

Reinstalled with the following configutation:

Same hardware
Windows XP SP1
No other software except SlimServer
* 6.2 = same symptoms listed above
6.5 = Been working fine for a day now

------------------

I will try 6.2.1 tonight and report back.

------------------

technobear
2005-10-28, 08:15
Today is another day as they say :-)

Tried 6.2.1 beta. Sames problems. As I was able to provoke the problems even on 6.1.1 this set me thinking that the software can't be the whole problem here. Is it the disk? Is it the network? Is it a process problem?

When music is playing normally, the disk is only accessed occasionally so it shouldn't be a disk throughput problem.

One thing that did cause problems, though I'm at a loss to understand why, is after 30 minutes of being ignored when the server decides to switch off the monitor. This causes intermittent play and I can see on the SB2 that the buffer is empty.

Operating the mouse so as to bring the monitor back on doesn't restore normal operation though. Hmmmm?

Looked at the Task Manager. Slim.exe doesn't use much CPU. It varies between 0% and 30% but is mostly 0%, 3% or 6% so it's not hammering the CPU. Something else was though :-( "WinXPDisableZeroConfig.exe" This application is a little disaster area that ships with my Belkin router and I have discovered that it can be harmlessly disabled. Having done so, this still didn't fix the problem. Hmmmm?

I wonder then if it is a network problem after all. SB2 reports signal strength of 98% and the server also reports a very good signal and low noise. I booted the laptop as it's in the same room as the SB2 and told it to look for networks. Mine runs on channel 11 and I found a neighbours system running on channel 3 so that shouldn't be a problem. Hmmmmm?

The music is still intermittent throughout all this. Weird. On a whim I looked at the back of the server. The firewire link to the hard disk was passing very close to the WiFi aerial. I rearranged things so that the WiFi aerial now has plenty of space around it. The SB2 has been playing fine since then. It may simply have been interference between the firewire cable and the WiFi aerial at the back of the server.

Fingers crossed!

MrC
2005-10-28, 09:08
We'll keep our fingers crossed for you! Congratulations on finding the cause.



SB2 reports signal strength of 98% and the server also reports a very good signal and low noise
As you can see, even a high signal strength did not indicate the errors in your connection.

Mitch Harding
2005-10-28, 11:01
I highly recommend that you (and anyone else who is experiencing a problem)
file a bug report:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com

In my experience that is the fastest way to get a problem resolved.

On 10/27/05, agentsmith <agentsmith.1xl8zo (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> kdf Wrote:
> > On 27-Oct-05, at 4:52 AM, agentsmith wrote:
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > * I will consider trying 6.2.1 when available. However, for me and
> > > others, the production version 6.2 is not working and the 6.5X beta
> > > version works most of the time.
> > >
> >
> > 6.2.1 pre-release builds are available here:
> > http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/
> >
> > > * Just wondering, does 6.2.1. specifically adress this problem?
> > it addresses many problems that have caused the server to stop already.
> >
> > If it doesn't fix yours, please look in the windows event viewer and
> >
> > report the message given there for the crash. Then, it will get fixed
> >
> > for 6.2.1
> >
> > > * Is there a known problem database and/or a workaround that users
> > can
> > > apply?
> >
> > http://bugs.slimdevices.com
> > you can create new reports or add comments to existing ones if you find
> >
> > a match.
> > >
> > > * Understood that beta is caveat emptor, however, as of now, the
> > beta
> > > is the only current distribution that is workable for me.
> >
> > workable is good. There is a good chance 6.2.1 will work as well then.
> >
> > Most of the core fixes that are in 6.5b1 so far are also in 6.2.1
> >
> > > * Understood about the fact that some users are working fine, but
> > that
> > > does not help those who has inaccessible 6.2 server.
> > >
> >
> > absolutely, and there are people working hard to resolve that so 6.2.1
> >
> > can be a much happier experience.
> >
> > -kdf
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> First my apologies for sounding like a whiner or a troll. I am new to
> this product and do not know the proper avenues to post problems or
> download interim fixes. So essentially what I have been doing is
> asserting a problem without providing enough information.
>
> With the 1 week or so playing with it, I have been very satisfied with
> the SB2. With 6.1 was working like a charm and compared very well with
> my sub $2000 SACD/DVDA player. I am planning to buy a Benchmark DAC1 to
> make this baby really sings.
>
> I also understand that no other product has as much constant
> improvements with "nightly" beta releases. So the 6.2 release was just
> a transitional "production" release that somehow has bugs that affected
> a few unlucky souls. However, I still feel that 6.2 should have stayed
> in the "nightly beta" area. Hopefully 6.2.1 will fix my problem.
>
> Just a thought that Slim is so fast in releasing that all this mumbling
> of mine is probably history after I tried out 6.2.1.
>
> --------------
>
> Description of my (could be past) problems:
>
> Problem Symptom:
> ----------------
> Server keeps stopping intermittently, usually within 1 minute after
> starting. This happens with oor without the SB2 playing any songs.
>
> It sometimes fails to restart (or maybe it starts for a split second
> and then stops again?) For the time that it restarted, it stopped
> again in seconds.
>
> Error is similar to this:
>
> "The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
> description; see Help and Support for details. The following
> information is part of the event: Can't locate object method "url" via
> package "Class::DBI::Object::Has::Been::Deleted" at
> /PerlApp/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 955."
>
> I tried 6.5 beta with same result. But decided to reinstall OS from
> scratch, 6.2 still did not work, but 6.5 has been working fine for 1
> day.
>
> The problem started with the following configuration:
>
> IBM Thinkpad X20 with 768MB RAM
> Internal 20GB HDD for OS,
> Docking Station 80GB HDD for Music
> Windows XP SP2
> Office XP
> SlimServer 6.2
> * Both 6.2 and 6.5 had same symptoms listed above
>
> Reinstalled with the following configutation:
>
> Same hardware
> Windows XP SP1
> No other software except SlimServer
> * 6.2 = same symptoms listed above
> 6.5 = Been working fine for a day now
>
> ------------------
>
> I will try 6.2.1 tonight and report back.
>
> ------------------
>
>
> --
> agentsmith
>