PDA

View Full Version : Why a new display font for Slimp3s in v6.2?

malsbury
2005-10-26, 18:22
I posted this on the beta list, but it hasnít gotten much notice. Also since I first posted it, my wife came home, walked into the kitchen and within a minute asked what was wrong with the Slimp3.

To recap, I upgraded from v6.1.2 to v6.2.1 and was surprised that the display font for large size (double height) had changed. I can see that the intent was to make the font look a little rounder and the characters variable width, but I just donít think the non-graphics displays in the Slimp3 and SB1 are up to the task. I have to say that the worst character I have noticed this far is 0 (zero), it looks like (). Also using '| for 1 looks pretty odd too.

Is there any way to select the original display font for the Slimp3? I have searched all the server settings in the web interface and it didn't jump out at me. I would like to take advantage of the new features in v6.2 such as the Random Mix feature and the Various Artist grouping, but the font may be a deal breaker for my wife and I might shift back to v6.1.2.

Tom Malsbury

Spies
2005-10-26, 18:38
I noticed this too and would like an option to switch between the old
and new font, or even other fonts, if said option does not already
exist. At this point I am not sure which font I prefer. I may like the
new font and prefer it to the old font once I get used to it, Steven

On 10/26/05, malsbury <malsbury.1xjebn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I posted this on the beta list, but it hasn't gotten much notice. Also
> since I first posted it, my wife came home, walked into the kitchen and
> within a minute asked what was wrong with the Slimp3.
>
> To recap, I upgraded from v6.1.2 to v6.2.1 and was surprised that the
> display font for large size (double height) had changed. I can see that
> the intent was to make the font look a little rounder and the characters
> variable width, but I just don't think the non-graphics displays in the
> Slimp3 and SB1 are up to the task. I have to say that the worst
> character I have noticed this far is 0 (zero), it looks like (). Also
> using '| for 1 looks pretty odd too.
>
> Is there any way to select the original display font for the Slimp3? I
> have searched all the server settings in the web interface and it
> didn't jump out at me. I would like to take advantage of the new
> features in v6.2 such as the Random Mix feature and the Various Artist
> grouping, but the font may be a deal breaker for my wife and I might
> shift back to v6.1.2.
>
>
> Tom Malsbury
>
>
> --
> malsbury
>

kitschcamp
2005-10-27, 02:49
Have to say it was the main reason I've just hunted out the forums - the new font just does not work on my Slimp3.

I upgraded, and now I can't tell what time it is! I'm used to being able to glance at it from the sofa and tell the time - it's now easier to read the time off the DVD recorder which is only 1cm high numbers than the display on the Slimp3 player.

Pretty please, can we have the old font back?

Magbert
2005-10-27, 04:12
I agree: I think the old font looked much better. It was also easier to read.

malsbury
2005-10-27, 10:42
I noticed this too and would like an option to switch between the old
and new font, or even other fonts, if said option does not already
exist.
[/color]

Have to say it was the main reason I've just hunted out the forums - the new font just does not work on my Slimp3.
...Pretty please, can we have the old font back?

I agree: I think the old font looked much better. It was also easier to read.

Ok... I have files a bug report for this issue, Bug #2394 .

If you would like to vote for it so it carries a little more weight here is the direct link.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/votes.cgi?action=show_user&bug_id=2394

Thomas Malsbury

Triode
2005-10-27, 10:55
> Is there any way to select the original display font for the Slimp3? I
> have searched all the server settings in the web interface and it
> didn't jump out at me. I would like to take advantage of the new
> features in v6.2 such as the Random Mix feature and the Various Artist
> grouping, but the font may be a deal breaker for my wife and I might
> shift back to v6.1.2.
>

I'm afraid the new font replaces the old in 6.2.

A bit of background - the new font was submitted as an improvement and was generally liked by users of the beta so replaced the
original.
If you really don't like it please raise a bug request and get others to vote on it to see if people want the option of selecting
between the new and old.

Are you running your server on windows? If not it would be easy to supply a 1 file replacement [essentially the old file which
contains the old fonts]. For windows this is harder as it runs a pre compiled version of the server, but if you start the server
manually this would also work.

malsbury
2005-10-27, 11:40
If you really don't like it please raise a bug request and get others to vote on it to see if people want the option of selecting
between the new and old.

Already raised the bug, people already voting for it

Are you running your server on windows? If not it would be easy to supply a 1 file replacement [essentially the old file which
contains the old fonts].

I am running on CentOS 4.1 (RedHat based), and install from the RPM, but with just a little guidance and the original font file I'm sure I could make the switch manually.

I would still like to see the option for the font, so I wouldn't have to manually replace the font everytime I upgrade. However, if I can do it manually for now, that would be great so I can continue to enjoy the benifits of v6.2.1

Thanks for the reply,

Tom Malsbury

kitschcamp
2005-10-27, 12:25
contains the old fonts].
Hurrah! I run it on SuSE 9.3

Triode
2005-10-27, 12:40
Please see: bug 2394
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2394
> Hurrah! I run it on SuSE 9.3
>

malsbury
2005-10-27, 14:29
Please see: bug 2394
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2394
Thanks Triode. The fix works great.

For those of you that would like the old double height font back and are running under linux here is the simple fix.

Replace <server dir>/Slim/Hardware/VFD.pm with the file Triod attached to Bug #2394. Then restart SlimServer.

Thanks for everyones interst in this and don't forget to vote for the bug (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/votes.cgi?action=show_user&bug_id=2394) so that this change becomes an option in the server settings and we don't have to manualy make this change everytime we update Slimserver.

Tom Malsbury

Triode
2005-10-27, 16:23
I've added an option to select the new or old font to the lastest 6.5 unstable build. [available now from subversion, or in the next nightly] Assuming I get positive feedback on this, I'll look to get it into the 6.2 branch.

Option is: player - display - large text font

malsbury
2005-10-28, 14:44
I've added an option to select the new or old font to the lastest 6.5 unstable build.

6.5b1 from 10/28 works great for the font selection. I tried switching it back and forth between "Classic" and "Modern" under various loads, rescans and different players running and it never seemed to cause any problems.

Thanks again for you help with this and the quick resolution of the problem. I hope to see it in the 6.2 line, but understand if it needs more testing in beta. I'm just glad that it will be in the next SlimServer.

Triode
2005-10-28, 14:58
>
> Thanks again for you help with this and the quick resolution of the
> problem. I hope to see it in the 6.2 line, but understand if it needs
> more testing in beta. I'm just glad that it will be in the next
> SlimServer.
>

Tom - thanks for testing. As it only impacts doubled text on a character player and both of us have tested it I've have put it in
the 6.2 branch as well. You should be able to get this from the next 6.2 nighly.

kitschcamp
2005-10-28, 23:40
Many thanks! The quick response is very very much appreciated :)