PDA

View Full Version : Way to exclude specific folders?

MeSue
2005-10-26, 14:57
Is there any way to exclude certain folders from the SlimServer scan? Maybe by putting certain characters in the folder name, or listing them in preferences? If not, is this a reasonable request?

pfarrell
2005-10-26, 16:20
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:57 -0700, MeSue wrote:
> Is there any way to exclude certain folders from the SlimServer scan?
> Maybe by putting certain characters in the folder name, or listing them
> in preferences? If not, is this a reasonable request?

Protect them so that the Slimserver user can't read them?

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

MeSue
2005-10-26, 17:40
>>Protect them so that the Slimserver user can't read them?<<

What do you mean by that?

MrC
2005-10-26, 18:06
If I recall correctly, pfarrel is a *nix (freebsd) user. He meant change the permissions on the music directories using the Unix chmod command, so that the slimserver process would not have access.

You can do similar things under Windows. You can change permissions on a folder so that the slimserver service does not have permissions. Right click->Properties and select the Security tab (not available on Windows XP Home) to see the permissions set for various folders. Removing the permissions that allow the slimserver process access will prevent it from scanning your given directories. I'm not sure this is the best approach though.

Yannzola
2005-10-26, 18:18
Is there any way to exclude certain folders from the SlimServer scan? Maybe by putting certain characters in the folder name, or listing them in preferences? If not, is this a reasonable request?

I don't think there's a clever way to do it... What I've done (in my case with xmas music) is to create a directory called .../xmas which lives on the same level as .../music. Slimserver is set to only scan /music/... When xmas comes around, I'll move that directory into /music/...(e.g. /music/xmas/...) and initiate a rescan. Done.

y.

MeSue
2005-10-26, 19:13
I didn't really want to move the folders up a level but I guess I'll have too. I couldn't find a security tab under folder properties even though I do have WinXP Pro. Probably because I use "simple file sharing" or whatever that option is.

Still, I think it would be handy to have a server preference to ignore or hide specified folders. If it could be enabled or disabled on the fly it might be useful to those folks who have wished for a "parental controls" type of feature.

Yannzola
2005-10-26, 19:23
Still, I think it would be handy to have a server preference to ignore or hide specified folders. If it could be enabled or disabled on the fly it might be useful to those folks who have wished for a "parental controls" type of feature.

I agree Mesue. There is a bug currently posted which might address your needs...
Bugzilla Bug 2333: Removable (temporary) music folders

Although I don't like the proposed solution (dumping files into a temp folder).

It seems to me that having the ability to specify more than one "Music Folder" in Server Settings (...with a checkbox next to each to enable/disable) would be a fairly intuitive way of presenting this option in the UI. Unfortunately, actually developing this feature is way beyond my skill set.

y.

MeSue
2005-10-26, 19:45
Unfortunately, actually developing this feature is way beyond my skill set.
y.
Yeah, same here. Well, I added some ideas to that bug report you mentioned. We'll see if anything comes from it.

DJMUK
2005-10-27, 01:06
Another method which I use is to rip to specific directories and then simply use a windows shortcut to include those you want in the 'SS Music Folder'. This is the same method you would use to access more than one hard drive or partition.

I used this primarily to exclude Christmas Music from Random Play but thanks to the team that is no longer an issue as we now have the facility built into 6.2.

For example:

My 'SS Music Folder' is set to: D:\ss music

My audio files are arranged as follows (I have 2 HD's):

Classical music - D:\FLAC\Classical\Artist\Album\filename.flac
Christmas Music - D:\FLAC\Christmas\Artist\Album\filename.flac
Various Artist Compilations (not from CD rips) - D:\FLAC\NonCD\VA\Album\filename.flac
All other music (not from CD rips) - D:\FLAC\NonCD\Artist\Album\filename.flac

Various Artist Compilations (From CD rips) - E:\FLAC\CD\VA\Album\filename.flac
All other music (From CD rips) - E:\FLAC\CD\Artist\Album\filename.flac

My 'SS Music Folder' will only contain a windows shortcut to each of the above folders I want to be scanned.
So normally it contains links to:

D:\FLAC\Classical\
D:\FLAC\NonCD\VA\
D:\FLAC\NonCD\
E:\FLAC\CD\VA\
E:\FLAC\CD\

i.e. all the above except for the Christmas Music.

In December I will just add a link to that and rescan. In January I will delete that link and rescan.

I hope this helps until SS is able to just let you choose only those folders you want. It has been discussed a few time in the forums over the last year.

On a side note SS 6.2's new Various Artists/Compilation system works perfectly with the above VA folders structure.

David

stuorguk
2005-10-27, 01:54
I have a collection of radio, and audio books which I would also like to exclude from the music scan. I only ever access them from the Browse Music Folder.

I like the idea of having a per-directory hidden file that instructs slimserver how to behave
See http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1700

Stuart.

oreillymj
2005-10-27, 01:57
I logged a bug on this issue.
In slimserver 6.02, I had my Xmas music and movie soundtracks outside my music folder, but I created playlists to access the files and could still play them from the UI.
Using this method, the tracks never appeared in Random mixes as they weren't visible in my library except using Browse Playlists.

With the Db playlists in 6.1, the server scanned my playlists and complained about the tracks being outside the music dir, but still added them to my library. Now the Xmas songs do play during random mixes.

Here's the bug I logged.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2201

DJMUK
2005-10-27, 02:37
Now the Xmas songs do play during random mixes.

But if you tag them with a Genre, of say, 'Xmas' you can easily exclude them as the 6.2 Random Mix supports include/exclude genres.

David

oreillymj
2005-10-27, 02:47
Xmas actually isn't an official MP3 genre, so even though I tagged my files with this genre in iTunes, Random mix doesn't list the genre.

Also Soundtrack did appear in the list of genres, I excluded it, but tracks continue to get played by Random mix.

I preferred my original solution of just keeping the files outside my music folder and selecting them with a playlist.

max.spicer
2005-10-27, 02:57
Assumedly this is only a problem when you're playing random music (i.e. you can just not play Christmas music in other situations). Why don't you just give your Christmas music the genre Christmas, then use Random Mix and tell it to exclude Christmas?

Max

I don't think there's a clever way to do it... What I've done (in my case with xmas music) is to create a directory called .../xmas which lives on the same level as .../music. Slimserver is set to only scan /music/... When xmas comes around, I'll move that directory into /music/...(e.g. /music/xmas/...) and initiate a rescan. Done.

DJMUK
2005-10-27, 03:00
I don't use iTunes, rather glad actually as it seems too cause so many problems!

Sorry it's not helping you but perhaps someone using iTunes can confirm wether or not it works.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-27, 03:09
SS doesn't care about the offical MP3 genre list.
But I believe it is a bit flaky at picking up genre changes on existing
files.
Have you checked the re-tagged files have the correct genre in SS?

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

oreillymj
2005-10-27, 04:32
I'll go back and have a look at the tags iTunes put on these files.

Annoyingly, if the file has ID1.1 & ID2.x tags, iTunes will only update the 2.x tags. I then have to go into winamp and use the "Copy to ID1.1" button to synch the tags.

So why do I use iTunes? Well I think it's got the most intuitive interface when you want to change the Artist or Genre on Multiple files in 1 go.

Going back to Max's comment
"
Assumedly this is only a problem when you're playing random music (i.e. you can just not play Christmas music in other situations). Why don't you just give your Christmas music the genre Christmas, then use Random Mix and tell it to exclude Christmas?
"

Once Slimserver puts a file into the database, they can be played back by any means in the UI. Even though SS reports an error while scanning the music dir (becuase the MP3's a physical outside the directory), it still parses the playlists and adds the file:// urls to the Db, so they can be played back.

So the old style playlist of my entire collection or the new random mix can still pick up these files. I can also browse by artist and find Bing Crosby & The Andrew sisters. Not cool ;-)

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-27, 04:37
> Annoyingly, if the file has ID1.1 & ID2.x tags, iTunes will
> only update
> the 2.x tags. I then have to go into winamp and use the "Copy
> to ID1.1"
> button to synch the tags.

Isn't there an iTunes option that deals with this?
(Would check but I don't have iTunes installed here).
I've never had any problems with conflicting tags in my files.

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Yannzola
2005-10-27, 08:18

Max

I also use Music Magic Mixer to generate playlists. But you are =absolutely= correct, Max. In v1.1.6 of MMM I can "disable" tracks, and whole genre's using filters... so tagging xmas music as "christmas" should work. I haven't tried the nifty genre exclusion feauture in Random Mix yet, but I'll give it a go.

For me at least, this seems like a great solution. Thanks for the tip!

y.

MeSue
2005-10-28, 06:56
Another method which I use is to rip to specific directories and then simply use a windows shortcut to include those you want in the 'SS Music Folder'. This is the same method you would use to access more than one hard drive or partition.
David
Does anyone know if the Windows shortcut trick also works for playlists?

orrinc
2005-10-28, 10:26
Maybe that will also keep the "Zapped" files from coming back every time I rescan?

MeSue
2005-10-28, 10:29
Does anyone know if the Windows shortcut trick also works for playlists?
I did some experiments to answer my own question, and it seems to be no. I also discovered that the shortcuts trick for music folders doesn't work if you use MusicMagic Mixer. The MMM library is added to SlimServer's database regardless of whether the folders are outside your designated music folder.