PDA

View Full Version : Is SS 6.2 ready for prime time?

Jeff52
2005-10-26, 06:31
I see a lot of posts about problems with and bug reports for Slimserver version 6.2 since its release on October 24. Are these isolated and minor problems limited to a few users, or are many users having problems with this release?

Dan Sully
2005-10-26, 09:11
* Jeff52 shaped the electrons to say...

>I see a lot of posts about problems with and bug reports for Slimserver
>version 6.2 since its release on October 24. Are these isolated and
>minor problems limited to a few users, or are many users having
>problems with this release?

There are a few mostly isolated problems.

The biggest issue that didn't get flushed out in the beta was Various Artist albums & iTunes.

I expect to release a 6.2.1 with as many fixes as I can get in within a week or so.

-D
--
vacation (n) : an extended trip away from home in search of inconvenient ways to connect to the Internet.

Jeff52
2005-10-26, 11:31
Thanks Dan. Guess I'll wait for 6.2.1 because I have a lot of Various Artist albums tagged and stored as Various Artists/Album Name/Artist - Song Title.

Steve Baumgarten
2005-10-26, 12:07
> Thanks Dan. Guess I'll wait for 6.2.1 because I have a lot of Various
> Artist albums tagged and stored as Various Artists/Album Name/Artist -
> Song Title.

Well for what it's worth, for someone like me who has an
album-per-directory structure, the Various Artists feature works like a
charm. My "browse artists" list has shrunk immensely; the Various link
shows me those albums that are compilations, and otherwise I can browse
by single-artist album -- pretty much exactly the way I've always wanted
to be able to.

(In other words, I'm pretty darn happy with 6.2. Thanks to one and all
for a tremendous effort.)

SBB

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only
for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
related financial instruments.

MrC
2005-10-26, 12:22
I see a lot of posts about problems with and bug reports for Slimserver version 6.2 since its release on October 24. Are these isolated and minor problems limited to a few users, or are many users having problems with this release?
Jeff52, as we all know, major updates to software always has glitches initially. The timing of the 6.2 release seems driven by the the SB3 rollout, so some issues were put into the 6.2.1 track. Seems a reasonable choice.

Still, the release is very solid, and is getting better all the time.

An approach you might consider is to use the 6.2.1 nightly builds, and actively contribute to the beta forums when you find issues.

I can assure you the developers are very keen to resolve issues quickly. Many times I've reported bugs with the software and have seen fixes on the same day. In fact just yesterday I found three or four issues, and all were resolved within 24 hours. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, so to speak!

Jeff52
2005-10-26, 13:23
[QUOTE=Steve Baumgarten

Well for what it's worth, for someone like me who has an
album-per-directory structure, the Various Artists feature works like a
charm. My "browse artists" list has shrunk immensely; the Various link
shows me those albums that are compilations, and otherwise I can browse
by single-artist album -- pretty much exactly the way I've always wanted
to be able to.QUOTE]

Steve I have my albums in folders as follows:

Various Artists/Album Name/Artist-SongTitle

i.e., each compilation is in a Various Artist Folder under the album name with all tracks in the album folder. Are you saying that presents no problems in SS 6.2? If that is the case then I'm ready to install.

Jeff52
2005-10-26, 13:27
An approach you might consider is to use the 6.2.1 nightly builds, and actively contribute to the beta forums when you find issues.

I have been a "guinea pig" for many of the previous releases :-)

I saw some of the messes with the Various Artists issues and really did not want to wade into that one as that would seriously impact my ability to find music.

Steve Baumgarten
2005-10-26, 13:36
Jeff52 wrote:

> Steve I have my albums in folders as follows:
>
> Various Artists/Album Name/Artist-SongTitle
>
> i.e., each compilation is in a Various Artist Folder under the album
> name with all tracks in the album folder. Are you saying that presents
> no problems in SS 6.2? If that is the case then I'm ready to install.

I think you should be fine. That's almost exactly my layout.

In any event, it's always possible to install the new version and try it
out. Simply install it to a different directory. Do not install as a
service, or as something that will automatically run at startup.

Then stop your current Slimserver for a moment to test the new version.

Open a DOS window (or a shell window, if you're running Linux) and run
the executable by hand.

Connect via your browser to port 9000 as usual, play with some of the
settings, see what you get. I think you'll be happily surprised.

SBB

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only
for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
related financial instruments.

JJZolx
2005-10-26, 14:42
The timing of the 6.2 release seems driven by the the SB3 rollout, so some issues were put into the 6.2.1 track.
In other words, a fairly important, long awaited release was sent out the door with known bugs left unfixed.

I've been running SVN/nightlies for months and prior to 6.2's release, the beta software _was_ very solid, with the occasional small breakage here and there. Ironically, all the untested, last minute attempted fixes that were slid in has made the official release much less so.

There's no reason 6.2 had to be released in conjunction with the Squeezebox 3, other than for PR. Funny how even in a little geek company like Slim Devices the marketing department drives the engineering department.

I'd recommend waiting for 6.2.1.

ceejay
2005-10-26, 14:56
In other words, a fairly important, long awaited release was sent out the door with known bugs left unfixed.

I've been running SVN/nightlies for months and prior to 6.2's release, the beta software _was_ very solid, with the occasional small breakage here and there. Ironically, all the untested, last minute attempted fixes that were slid in has made the official release much less so.

There's no reason 6.2 had to be released in conjunction with the Squeezebox 3, other than for PR. Funny how even in a little geek company like Slim Devices the marketing department drives the engineering department.

I'd recommend waiting for 6.2.1.

At the risk of starting off a firestorm, I'll just throw in that I've upgraded to 6.2 (I waited for the "official" release) and haven't regretted it. The Various Artists feature works excellently for me, I'm really pleased to have it. Random Play is great. I've had no new issues, except for some slowness which has been discussed elsewhere.

And, given the speed at which this software moves, I have absolutely no problem with slim releasing something with a few errors in it - there is always a tradeoff between functionality and stability, there is no perfect answer. If someone finds that there is a killer defect in 6.2 for them - there is an easy rollback to 6.1.1.

Finally, who should be in charge of a engineering company - marketing or engineering? Answer - marketing, every time (I should add I speak as someone with extensive experience of both...).

Just a thought...

Ceejay

Jeff52
2005-10-26, 15:09
Well I decided to take the plunge and 6.2 is running fine. Since my compilations are placed in a Various Artist folder with separate subfolders for each album, I am not having the problems that others are having with compilations. I assume that type of folder arrangement in effect takes care of itself for the purposes of indexing compilations.

I did have to remove the Transitions plugin as it caused a crash when starting a playlist. After removing that everything is fine.

MrC
2005-10-26, 16:30
Well I decided to take the plunge and 6.2 is running fine.

Good man !!! :-)

jscovell
2005-10-26, 20:44
Installing SlimServer 6.2 put an icon in my Windows task tray, but clicking it results in a "SlimServer Starting" balloon that never completes starting. That is, the application doesn't launch so far as I can tell. The balloon just hangs there forever.

agentsmith
2005-10-26, 20:56
As posted by the previous poster, 6.2 is seriously broken. With server either not starting OR stopping itself continuously. I tried the 6.5 beta with similar results.

For your information I ended up wiping an entire hard drive with a brand new install of Windows XP SP1 and ONLY SlimServer running. SlimServer 6.2 still refuses to start. Beta 6.5 started OK and running so far so good.

*** I would assert that the production release of 6.2 is broken until Slim Devices provides a Solution ***

>>>>Installing SlimServer 6.2 put an icon in my Windows task tray, but clicking it results in a "SlimServer Starting" balloon that never completes starting. That is, the application doesn't launch so far as I can tell. The balloon just hangs there forever.>>>>

agentsmith
2005-10-26, 21:00
As posted by the previous poster, 6.2 is seriously broken. With server either not starting OR stopping itself continuously. I tried the 6.5 beta with similar results.

For your information I ended up wiping an entire hard drive with a brand new install of Windows XP SP1 and ONLY SlimServer running. SlimServer 6.2 still refuses to start. Beta 6.5 started OK and running so far so good.

*** I would assert that the production release of 6.2 is broken until Slim Devices provides a Solution ***

>>>>Installing SlimServer 6.2 put an icon in my Windows task tray, but clicking it results in a "SlimServer Starting" balloon that never completes starting. That is, the application doesn't launch so far as I can tell. The balloon just hangs there forever.>>>>

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-27, 01:58
Almost certainly the missing service.
Please run this command and see if it helps...

"C:\program files\SlimServer\Server\Slim.exe -install"

Bug 1960 and already discussed in the forum this week...

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Robin Bowes
2005-10-27, 06:15
agentsmith said the following on 27/10/2005 05:00:
> As posted by the previous poster, 6.2 is seriously broken. With server
> either not starting OR stopping itself continuously. I tried the 6.5
> beta with similar results.
>
> For your information I ended up wiping an entire hard drive with a
> brand new install of Windows XP SP1 and ONLY SlimServer running.
> SlimServer 6.2 still refuses to start. Beta 6.5 started OK and running
> so far so good.
>
> *** I would assert that the production release of 6.2 is broken until
> Slim Devices provides a Solution ***

I would asset that something you're doing is broken as many people are
successfully running the production release of 6.2 on Windows XP.

Please try and moderate your assertions on future unless you have
evidence that they are accurate.

Now, if you want us to try and help you I suggest you post a few more
details (exactly what you're doing, what you see happening, log
messages, etc) or send mail to support <at> slimdevices.com.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

agentsmith
2005-10-27, 18:20
agentsmith said the following on 27/10/2005 05:00:
> As posted by the previous poster, 6.2 is seriously broken. With server
> either not starting OR stopping itself continuously. I tried the 6.5
> beta with similar results.
>
> For your information I ended up wiping an entire hard drive with a
> brand new install of Windows XP SP1 and ONLY SlimServer running.
> SlimServer 6.2 still refuses to start. Beta 6.5 started OK and running
> so far so good.
>
> *** I would assert that the production release of 6.2 is broken until
> Slim Devices provides a Solution ***

I would asset that something you're doing is broken as many people are
successfully running the production release of 6.2 on Windows XP.

Please try and moderate your assertions on future unless you have
evidence that they are accurate.

Now, if you want us to try and help you I suggest you post a few more
details (exactly what you're doing, what you see happening, log
messages, etc) or send mail to support <at> slimdevices.com.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

First my apologies for sounding like a whiner or a troll. I am new to this product and do not know the proper avenues to post problems or download interim fixes. So essentially what I have been doing is asserting a problem without providing enough information.

With the 1 week or so playing with it, I have been very satisfied with the SB2. With 6.1 was working like a charm and compared very well with my sub $2000 SACD/DVDA player. I am planning to buy a Benchmark DAC1 to make this baby really sings.

I also understand that no other product has as much constant improvements with "nightly" beta releases. So the 6.2 release was just a transitional "production" release that somehow has bugs that affected a few unlucky souls. However, I still feel that 6.2 should have stayed in the "nightly beta" area. Hopefully 6.2.1 will fix my problem.

Just a thought that Slim is so fast in releasing that all this mumbling of mine is probably history after I tried out 6.2.1.

--------------

Description of my (could be past) problems:

Problem Symptom:
----------------
Server keeps stopping intermittently, usually within 1 minute after starting. This happens with oor without the SB2 playing any songs.

It sometimes fails to restart (or maybe it starts for a split second and then stops again?) For the time that it restarted, it stopped again in seconds.

Error is similar to this:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't locate object method "url" via package "Class::DBI::Object::Has::Been::Deleted" at /PerlApp/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 955."

I tried 6.5 beta with same result. But decided to reinstall OS from scratch, 6.2 still did not work, but 6.5 has been working fine for 1 day.

The problem started with the following configuration:

IBM Thinkpad X20 with 768MB RAM
Internal 20GB HDD for OS,
Docking Station 80GB HDD for Music
Windows XP SP2
Office XP
SlimServer 6.2
* Both 6.2 and 6.5 had same symptoms listed above

Reinstalled with the following configutation:

Same hardware
Windows XP SP1
No other software except SlimServer
* 6.2 = same symptoms listed above
6.5 = Been working fine for a day now

------------------

I will try 6.2.1 tonight and report back.

------------------

psm0110
2005-10-28, 12:24
Installing SlimServer 6.2 put an icon in my Windows task tray, but clicking it results in a "SlimServer Starting" balloon that never completes starting. That is, the application doesn't launch so far as I can tell. The balloon just hangs there forever.

I get the exact same behavior on my Windows 2000 5.0.2195 SP4 machine. Is there a place to download 6.1? It was working fine for me, with some poor Web UI behavior, but I rarely use the web ui, so it never bothered me.

I am sorely disappointed by some of the harsh comments about the software working fine for most people. I suppose if the websites I create work for 85% of visitors my clients should just disregard the 15% of lost customers?

dryden555
2005-10-29, 08:44
I am quite frustrated with the obvious software bugs in 6.2.

Wait if you can for a later release. I'm about to give up with SlimDevices.

Every new version software has more and different bugs.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-29, 09:26
Is there a place to download 6.1?

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/SlimServer_v6.1.1/

There are a variety to chose from, depending on what OS you're using.

I am sorely disappointed by some of the harsh comments about the software working fine for most people.Me too.

I suppose if the websites I create work for 85% of visitors my clients should just disregard the 15% of lost customers?I'm not sure logic applies here.

The first couple of times I made suggestions here, I too found great hostility. I'm not sure why. My suggestions were, as an outsider, reasonable.

I later found out that some of what I was suggesting was between impractical and impossible given the strategic directions SLIM had taken (to abandon a poorly thought out and poorly implemented interface I had in my ignorance chosen to use in favour of a more complete one). But a calmer response would have been nicer.

From a distance now, looking back, better documentation would have avoided the problem. When I made the decision, the interface I avoided had fewer features and said it was intended for home automation systems. Since I wasn't building anything like that, I left it alone. Nothing in the documentation said that the interface I chose was depricated and scheduled for no more development, and the home automation interface was the way to go (AFAIK still true as of 6.2, guys).

In point of fact, I left the forums at that point determined never to come back. I did come back, because at the heart of this project is some good hardware that I can use for a project I'm working on, some good software, only some of the features I use, somem good people whose efforts are going more or less in the same direction as I am, and because no one else is doing what I want to do and can't accomplish on my own.

Oh, and because I like to listen to music :-).

My parents and grandparents danced and there was always music around. When I was a pre-teen someone gave me a broken transistor radio and said "if you can fix it, it's yours". It had been dropped and had a broken solder trace. I bridged the solder gap, and listened to 1050 CHUM with an earpiece on the way to and from junior high school.

This is just the 40 year later extension of that fun I had listening to music.

I think what's not obvious to people when they first come here, and what perhaps needs to be better explained to the newcomer, is that most people on this list are not part of Slim Devices, don't speak for Slim Devices, and may in fact not know what they're talking about. Also their opinions vary all over the map.

Since it is an open software project, some people on this list are Slim employees, some people are not but are very involved (i.e. they write and contribute code), some are merely ego involved, etc.

And all linear combinations are possible. And perhaps non-linear as well.

This is not to excuse bad behaviour, but it may go some distance toward explaining it.

I guess you have 2 options - put your shields up and put up with the occasional bout of bad temper and rudeness in order to have something that seems relatively unusual in the hardware world at this point, or not. It's unfortunate, but one of the problems with open software projects is ... openness.

Same is true of democracy, I guess. Everyone gets a vote.

Man that's too much philosophy for the first cup of coffee.... sorry about being so long.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-29, 09:28
Oh, BTW, I'm a DJ - amateur, occasional, it's not my day job. I DJ using the slim box(es). My production system is still running 5.4.0. For the parts I need, and for what I need, it's faster than 6.anything so far, and I don't need the newer features.

max.spicer
2005-10-29, 11:46
That's probably a byproduct of every new version having so many more and different features. I would say more, but you'd need your flameproof clothing handy.

Max

Every new version software has more and different bugs.

radish
2005-10-29, 14:12
Is there a place to download 6.1?

Every version is here: http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

Michaelwagner
2005-10-29, 19:35
That's probably a byproduct of every new version having so many more and different features.I don't think that adding new features necessarily has to break old ones. I understood there was regression checking as part of preparing a new release for release. Is it still in use?

Dan Sully
2005-10-29, 20:06
* Michaelwagner shaped the electrons to say...

> I understood there was regression checking as part of preparing a
> new release for release. Is it still in use?

There was the start of a regression testing framework. However, it is just a
start, not nearly comprehensive enough for a project of this size. However, I
am only one person pulled in entirely too many directions.

Help and patches extremely welcome.

-D
--
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

pfarrell
2005-10-29, 20:21
On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 20:06 -0700, Dan Sully wrote:
> * Michaelwagner shaped the electrons to say...
>
> > I understood there was regression checking as part of preparing a
> > new release for release. Is it still in use?
>
> There was the start of a regression testing framework. However, it is just a
> start, not nearly comprehensive enough for a project of this size. However, I
> am only one person pulled in entirely too many directions.
>
> Help and patches extremely welcome.

That's one of the reasons I beta'd 6.2, just to help.
It is flat out hard to test well and under appreciated. This probably
belongs over on dev, does perl have an equivalent to JUnit? It is
non-trivial (to nearly impossible) to retrofit testing into big complex
software, perhaps a suitable goal for 7.*

Adding all the skins and plugins makes a hard task much harder.
Hmmm, let me think about this a bit.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Michaelwagner
2005-10-29, 20:40
I'm going to attempt to move the Dev part of this discussion to the Dev forum. This is not an attempt to "hide" anything, but to move the discussion to the forum it really should be in.

Click to see the "moved" thread.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=61297