PDA

View Full Version : Bomb Proof Router?

deejay
2005-10-26, 05:35
In the spirit of approaching a problem from all sides, does the comunity know of any make of router which always flawlessly connects with the SB2? Linksys for instance. I have to get this piece of kit to work, I will even consider getting another router if someone can say there is such a router. Help please guys!

Robin Bowes
2005-10-26, 06:07
deejay said the following on 26/10/2005 13:35:
> In the spirit of approaching a problem from all sides, does the comunity
> know of any make of router which always flawlessly connects with the
> SB2? Linksys for instance. I have to get this piece of kit to work, I
> will even consider getting another router if someone can say there is
> such a router. Help please guys!

In the spirit of helping out, I've just connected my SB2 wirelessly to
my linksys WRT54GS running Sveasoft Talisman/Basic 1.0.5.

I'm using 11g mode only with 128-bit WEP authentication.

The first time I connected I got a 169.x.x.x IP address. I went back
(left arrow) and tried again and it worked 2nd time.

Currently streaming happily streaming .flac files.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

deejay
2005-10-27, 05:33
Robin, thanks for the help, that's the second time I've seen that router mentioned as working well with the SB2. I'll check it out. For the moment I have to admit defeat, I've laid a 30m Cat 5e cable to the back garden & am happily listening to my music again! I'll sort this wireless insanity out in a couple of days when I have more time. Thanks again for the reply. :)

narlus
2005-10-27, 06:19
btw, if you order from amazon they have a 5% discount in addition to the mail-in rebates offered by linksys. on the whole, it was cheaper than newegg or other places i searched. not spam, just trying to pass on a good deal. i'm ordering mine tomorrow (there was a problem w/ the coupon code and amazon cust spprt told me to try friday).

radish
2005-10-27, 06:31
I use the standard 11g Netgear devices and they work just fine.

Robin Bowes
2005-10-27, 07:59
Robin Bowes said the following on 26/10/2005 14:07:
> deejay said the following on 26/10/2005 13:35:
>
>> In the spirit of approaching a problem from all sides, does the comunity
>> know of any make of router which always flawlessly connects with the
>> SB2? Linksys for instance. I have to get this piece of kit to work, I
>> will even consider getting another router if someone can say there is
>> such a router. Help please guys!
>
>
> In the spirit of helping out, I've just connected my SB2 wirelessly to
> my linksys WRT54GS running Sveasoft Talisman/Basic 1.0.5.
>
> I'm using 11g mode only with 128-bit WEP authentication.
>
> The first time I connected I got a 169.x.x.x IP address. I went back
> (left arrow) and tried again and it worked 2nd time.
>
> Currently streaming happily streaming .flac files.

I've also just tested my older 3Com 3CRWE554G72 with both 128-bit WEP
and Pre-shared Passphrase WAP. Both modes appear to work fine.

Admittedly, the SB2 is only about 6 feet from the router with 100%
signal strength... :)

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

slimpy
2005-10-27, 09:08
I use a Buffolao AirStation with d-link b and g cards, d-link wireless bridge, mac airport cards and 2 wireless squeezeboxen2. Never have any connection dropouts on the clients, range is great (way better than the netgear router i had before) despite the lack of external antennas. Clients always reconnect without problems.
I use WEP 128bit only, can't say anything about WPA as not all of my clients support it :(

S.

fry
2005-10-27, 10:52
I use two Belkin routers model# F5D7230-4 (version 2000 router & version 3000 bridge).

They don't have great reviews but I didn't have major problems with any of them. Version 2000 is slightly more sluggish and quirkier when configured via the web interface.
The coverage is excellent - SB2 on the ground floor has consistent 85%+ strength signal with the bridge on the first floor but not directly above with ~4-5m straight line between antennas.

A Zaurus C1K (WiFi) doubles as a wireless "remote" - I can access the server via its web interface. That coincidentally limits me to WEP 128 with MAC filtering.

Probably not bomb proof but very reliable so far - I used them for months now (before the SB2 purchase) w only an occasional reboot.

greedy_grendel
2005-10-29, 03:46
I've used three routers with the SB2 and Laptops employing Softsqueeze and my current Billion 7402vgo works flawlessly with the SB2 with no dropouts and perfect connections every time I have to reboot.

I have tried the latest Belkin 4 port Wireless Router (Can't remember the model no. off hand) and had quite a few "teething troubles" with it. Things like incorrect IP Pool range allocated through DHCP for the SB2 and WPA connection issues. No such WPA issues with the VGO..

The Billion is pretty close to bomb proof with regards to SB2 (using the latest firmware), but don't get me started on its VOIP capabilities :-(

-m