PDA

View Full Version : Choose FLAC over MP3 when both are available?

ecloud
2005-10-25, 23:05
I usually rip CDs using abcde, to both FLAC and MP3 at once; that way I have something playable on ordinary MP3 players, and can use FLAC at home. So I wonder if SlimServer could compare the metadata (or better yet, some kind of audio signature, in case I later change the metadata in one file and not the other) and ignore MP3 files for which the same song is available in FLAC format? As it is, I see both.

ceejay
2005-10-25, 23:59
This has been requested before, but no sign of a "clever" solution. The easy way is to separate your music into two parallel folder systems (/music/flac/.. and /music/mp3/...) and just point slimserver at the flac structure.

Ceejay

ecloud
2009-03-13, 01:14
http://code.google.com/p/mutl/

I run it daily from a cron job now like this:

#!/bin/sh
rm -rf best-quality
/var/media/mutl/mutl
find music -iname "*.jpg" -printf "ln -s \"/mnt/media/music/%P\" \"best-quality/%P\"\n" -o -iname "*.png" -printf "ln -s \"/mnt/media/music/%P\" \"best-quality/%P\"\n" > linkem
chmod u+x linkem
./linkem

mutl is a python script which makes a whole parallel tree consisting of symlinks, choosing only the "best quality" files when there are any duplicates. Then "find" creates a shell script which also links the album art, then I run that. The cron job happens a bit before the daily rescan.

Nonreality
2009-03-16, 16:42
This has been requested before, but no sign of a "clever" solution. The easy way is to separate your music into two parallel folder systems (/music/flac/.. and /music/mp3/...) and just point slimserver at the flac structure.

CeejayJust what I do. One other thing I do is add (Flac) to the album name at the end so I can tell which is which when looking under Artists.

robroe
2009-03-18, 02:57
I think it is possible to use Erland's Custom Browse/Multi Library plugins to only show the higher bitrate versions of songs. Unfortunately I can't find the wiki/forum entry that tells you how to do it right now :(

erland
2009-03-22, 22:39
I think it is possible to use Erland's Custom Browse/Multi Library plugins to only show the higher bitrate versions of songs. Unfortunately I can't find the wiki/forum entry that tells you how to do it right now :(
Here it is:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=217863#post217863

Moonbase
2009-03-23, 06:56
For some reasons (not to do with SC), I have to keep both FLAC and MP3 in the same folders, so what I usually do is use Erland’s CustomBrowse (Home > CustomBrowse > Bitrates > Lossless), and go on from there. Clumsy, but the best solution right now.