PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer Performance with many songs

agentsmith
2005-10-25, 19:58
My experience with SlimServer 6.1 so far is that it;s performance seems to be quite affected by the amount of music installed.

I had it installed in a Thinkpad T30 with Windows XP SP2 and 768MB RAM, the SB2's response in browsing through the menu is pretty much instantaneous. But when I started loading it up with more and more music, the response started getting extremely slow, slow to a point when navigating through each click takes a few seconds.

Currently I have about 37GB of lossless FLAC or about 1800 songs. Does the number of songs affect the performance? Is it better to seperate them into subdirectories? Or place them all into one big directory?

What are some suggestions in improving the performance?

MrC
2005-10-25, 20:34
Currently I have about 37GB of lossless FLAC or about 1800 songs. Does the number of songs affect the performance? Is it better to seperate them into subdirectories? Or place them all into one big directory?

What are some suggestions in improving the performance?

Upgrade to 6.2, and use subdirectories.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-25, 21:34
Is it better to seperate them into subdirectories?I haven't looked over all the code in this area, but from what I've read, yes.

There is a place in the code which assume that reading a sub-directory is fast and can be done atomically without effecting performance elsewhere in the server. One big directory with 10,000 songs in it would certainly break this assumption.

agentsmith
2005-10-26, 02:22
Will try that. Although I think that 6.2 is broken as stated in my previous message. Server keeps stopping.