PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer Help

JulianL
2005-10-25, 15:08
I'm sure this is a case of RT*M (read the manual) but unfortunately I can't find any so I have a few really basic questions.

1) First the obvious, is there a SlimServer manual? I see the downloads for the SqueezeBox user guide but that doesn't really tell me anything about SlimServer.

2) I'm running 6.1.x. What do I need to do to upgrade to 6.2? Can I install on top or do I need to uninstall first? I have a 3 month-ish old SB2. Do I need to flash new firmware onto it to use 6.2? Will the 6.2 install automatically push the appropriate firmware onto it automatically or do I need to do something seperately to update the firmware?

3) The one feature I'm interested in in 6.2 is various artists but literally all I can find out about it is this from the release notes "Automatically identify Various Artists / Compilation albums. Allow 'Album Artists' to be set.". This doesn't really give me any clue at all as to how to use this feature. Is there any info on what this is and how I use it (i.e. how I tag my collection)?

Sorry for the simple questions, I assume I've missed a whole other set of documentation somehow, but I'm really feeling a bit lost as far as 6.2 goes.

- Julian

MrC
2005-10-25, 15:24
You can uninstall your 6.1 release, and just install the 6.2 release.

There is documentation in the slimserver web interface under Help.

There is new firmware. Once you have installed the server, it will start and detect your player. You can then go to your player and follow the instructions to automatically update your firmware.

There are far too many changes to list in 6.2, and trying to describe all the Various Artist settings is a bit complex. Most everyone is happy with these new features.

Start with the new release, and check out the settings under Server Settings->Behavior for Various Artists and Compilations. Much of the behavior should be pretty obvious from the settings text.

ceejay
2005-10-25, 23:57
you don't actually have to uninstall 6.1 first, in fact it might be better if you don't (somebody I think reported losing their preferences file, though that might be due to overzealous cleaning up).

Just download 6.2, stop your old slimserver, and install. Just note that when the installation is done, it will immediately go into a full database scan so it will be sluggish for a while.

As for documentation generally, there isn't a wealth of it. I suspect this is inevitable - this stuff changes so quickly that keeping detailed docs up to date would be a huge task, and isn't often done especially in an open source world. The principle is - go try it! If you get stuck , ask!

Ceejay

JulianL
2005-10-26, 03:51
Thanks for the help. My installation took a couple of minutes and all went smoothly although I did get an error message during installation, something like: "Panic: Can't Create ....perl58.dll". I got a similar error to do with perl every time I tried to install 6.1.x and I ignored it and it always worked so I just ignored this one and everything still seems to work so I'm vaguely curious about the error but not overly concerned. (I'm installing on XP using the .exe install package and I do have admin privileges.)

My real question though is that I have now looked at the Server Settings/Behaviour stuff (and the help section) and I see 2 settings for Various Artists. The first configuration option ("choose to have compilation albums appear together") is obvious to me but I'm afraid that the second option ("Albums that contain songs that are tagged with a band may be listed under that band name or with the other artists for that album. The band tag is also known as TPE2 and may appear as the "album artist" in some software.") has me a confused. I guess I'm having a slow day but I'm not confident that I understand what this does.

Could someone please explain to me what the second configuration option for Various Artists does and how I might use it and what tags I would set (I use FLAC files).

- Julian

mattybain
2005-10-27, 06:51
trying to describe all the Various Artist settings is a bit complex. Most everyone is happy with these new features.

I know it may be complex but that isn't terribly helpful. I am looking at this feature as well, after years of just changing all artist related tags to "various artists" and have found that the documentation is non existent.

There is nowhere that I can easily find that describes how various artists should be tagged. How do we expect new users to be able to use new features if they are not explained?

My various artists folder seems to be doing some very strange things and there doesn't seem to be any logical pattern to it.

Can someone, in simple terms, explain how a compliation album with multiple artists and one album name should be tagged so that it doesn't appear in the artist list but under various arists.

I will then update the wiki to explain this wonderfully useful new feature.

radish
2005-10-27, 07:09
Simply put, an Album is considered to be by "Various Artists" if the tracks which make up the album come from more than 1 artist. No special tagging required.

mattybain
2005-10-27, 07:11
I have two albums one by Athlete and one by St Germain they are both called "Tourist".

Why are these not in the Various Artists section, why would I want them to be?

Does it look at the track numbers as well?

If that is the case I have lots of compilation albums which are not exhibiting this behaviour, is this a bug?

I am not really able to test if it is a bug or not as no one has explained the concept in a way that I can test.

ceejay
2005-10-27, 07:27
I have two albums one by Athlete and one by St Germain they are both called "Tourist".

Why are these not in the Various Artists section, why would I want them to be?

Does it look at the track numbers as well?

If that is the case I have lots of compilation albums which are not exhibiting this behaviour, is this a bug?

I am not really able to test if it is a bug or not as no one has explained the concept in a way that I can test.

Try this: in SS6.2, web interface, go to Server Settings / Behaviour. There is a section called "Compilations" which allows you to tell SS how to deal with Compilation Albums. If you select "Group Compilation Albums Together" SS will try to spot anything that it thinks is a compilation album (album with more than one artist named). All such albums will then appear in the album listing under the "artist" called "Various Artists" (though you can change that string).

To have this make sense, all the tracks in the Compilation Album should be tagged with the correct Album name ("The Best Tracks Ever Vol 1"), song name ("The Birdy Song") and Artist name ("Elton John").

Before the new SS version, all the tracks on this album would have appeared as if they were separate albums. Now they don't. Magic!

Its fair to point out that some people are having trouble with this, I think this is if the albums aren't filed in a one-CD-per-directory structure. But if you have such a structure and you have the tags, it will work!

Ceejay

radish
2005-10-27, 07:35
Before the new SS version, all the tracks on this album would have appeared as if they were separate albums. Now they don't. Magic!

Agree with everything you said apart from this - that never happened (well not for me anyway). The problem was that your artist list got huge from all the one-off artists who only appeared on compilations. My artist list is over 3500, when I install 6.2 (waiting for a couple of fixes) I expect it to be closer to 300. Also, if you tried to display the artist in the browse album list, it was pretty much random which one it displayed for compilations.

mattybain
2005-10-27, 07:45
Ceejay

Thanks for the reply, this is driving me potty!. I have already checked these settings and they are set as below

Compilations

You can choose to have compilation albums appear together under "Various Artists" or have them appear under each artist in the compilation.

- Group compilation albums together

Albums that contain songs that are tagged with a band may be listed under that band name or with the other artists for that album. The band tag is also known as TPE2 and may appear as the "album artist" in some software.

-List albums by band

Which I assume is correct and should group all my albums with the same album name, in the same folder , but which have different Artist tags? is this correct?

So if I understand you correctly slimserver will only classify an album as a compilation if

i) All the tracks have exactly the same album name
ii) The tracks are in exactly the same folder
iii) There is one artist name different from the rest?
iv) and that the composer, band, orchestra, conducter etc etc tags are irrelevant?

In that case I have lots of albums like this which are not being picked up.

Whilst we are on it what does the second option mean exactly, I have read it several times and I don't have a clue.

mattybain
2005-10-28, 05:21
Still driving me potty,thought at first it was a WMA problem but I can't get any of my MP3 compilations to work.

The thing that is driving me the pottyest (is that a word?) is that I do have a couple of albums which are being picked up in the Various Artists category I just don't know why or what is different about them. If I try and replicate the settings of the album that works on another one it doesn't work.

Can somebody who this works for tell me exactly how they have the tags set up and whether it works in 100% of cases.

If it really is a case of various artist = different artists (minimum of 2) + same album title then this doesn't work for me apart from in the one case I don't want it to (see above post artists Athlete and St Germain both with same album Tourist)

Apparently it is working for lots of people I just need to work out what I am doing wrong.