PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer 6.2 - a dead duck?

jimwillsher
2005-10-25, 11:53
Hi all,

RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.2, Perl 5.8.5, SqueezeBox 1 (wireless) with the graphical upgrade.

Version 6.1.1 (slimserver-6.1.1-1.noarch.rpm) worked perfectly. Today I have upgraded to 6.2 (slimserver-6.2.0-1.noarch.rpm) and it's a dead duck. The server starts and seems to run happily, but as soon as I try to play a song, either via the remote or via a browser, the slimserver job disappears from "ps -Alf" and the player complains that it cannot find the server.

I initially did the installation via "rpm -Uvh" but I have subsequently uninstalled it (rpm -e) and reinstalled a clean version (rpm -i). But it still fails predictably.

Is there any diagnosis I can perform? Any error logs?

I'm currently back on 6.1.1. and happily listening to music....

Many thanks,

Jim Willsher

Triode
2005-10-25, 12:10
The rpm should write a log file to /tmp/slimserver.log this should record what causes the server to crash - please post here or open a bug and post it.

jimwillsher
2005-10-25, 12:23
Hi Triode,

The RPM itself installs fine, and slim starts up okay. But when I play a song the process vanishes. There's nothing in /tmp for slimserver.

Jim

Triode
2005-10-25, 12:40
OK - if you log on as user slimserver, you should be able to start the server manually. This should result in any error messages going to the local console/shell session etc:

su - slimserver
./slimserver.pl

Dan Sully
2005-10-25, 12:43
* jimwillsher shaped the electrons to say...

>The RPM itself installs fine, and slim starts up okay. But when I play
>a song the process vanishes. There's nothing in /tmp for slimserver.

Can you run /usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl from the command line, and see what the output is?

Thanks.

-D
--
<jwb> if only a gigantic walking octopus would come along and strangle the entire nutjob religious right

jimwillsher
2005-10-25, 12:59
Many thanks, both of you. Okay, running on the command line I get:

panic: sv_setpvn called with negative strlen at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/Encode.pm line 149.

Jim

Dan Sully
2005-10-25, 13:03

>Many thanks, both of you. Okay, running on the command line I get:
>
>panic: sv_setpvn called with negative strlen at
>/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/Encode.pm line 149.

Ouch. Is it possible for you to upgrade Perl to 5.8.6 or 5.8.7?

-D
--
It's the wrong trousers Gromit, and they've gone wrong!

jimwillsher
2005-10-25, 13:13
Ufortunately I can't upgrade.

Interestingly, 6.2 works happily on perl-5.8.5-12.1 ((ona different server). I'm just running "yum update" to update from RHEL4.1 to RHEL4.2 to see if that breaks Slim6.2. (I'm already at RHEL4.2 on my live server, where Slim6.2 is broken).

If it does break it (and I'll report back once the 200Mb has downloaded) then at least we'll have a starting point!

Jim

jimwillsher
2005-10-25, 15:11
Okay. I've upgraded my "test" server to RHEL4.2 and Slim 6.2 is still working. It's just not working on my live server. Both have identical software (perl versions etc).

Is there anything I can do to work out which RPM (if any) needs reinstalling? I don't want to break anything on my server.

Or am I stuck with 6.1 forever more? It works fine, it's just 6.2 which crashes.

Help!

Jim

jimwillsher
2005-10-25, 15:28
I should add, the version of Encode.pm on both my machines is 2.1. I've found an RPM at Dag's which upgrades it to 2.5....but I'll hold off applying until I hear from you nice people as to whether or not it's a good idea to install it!

The RPM I've found is perl-Encode-compat-0.07-1.2.el4.rf.noarch.rpm and this takes Encode.pm to 2.5. Is this likely to mend/break anything?

Many thanks!

Jim

jimwillsher
2005-10-25, 15:43
Okay, answering my own post. I installed the Perl-Encode-compat RPM to take Encode.pm to the later version, and I now get about 5 seconds of music before it fails at the same line. So....Slim6.2 broke something!

Time to go back to 6.1, which works a treat. I've played 20-hours of continuous music in 6.1 before now. 20 hours versus 5 seconds.....

Jim

Dan Sully
2005-10-25, 15:49

>Okay, answering my own post. I install the RPM to take Encode.pm to the
>later version, and I now get about 5 seconds of music before it fails
>at the same line. So....Slim6.2 broke something!
>
>Time to go back to 6.1.....

Can you run with --d_scan and see what file it's failing on?

-D
--
<dr.pox> do they call it 'gq' because it makes your text fashionable?

jimwillsher
2005-10-25, 16:08
(OT: Finally got back into the forums, kept getting server-busy messages).

Okay, I've run it with the d_scan option, but still nothing:

[slimserver@orca ~]$ /usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl --d_scan
panic: sv_setpvn called with negative strlen at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/Encode.pm line 149.

To clarify, the server starts up, and successfuly scans the library. It just fails within a couple of seconds of playing an MP3 (any MP3). Some MP3s fail quicker than others (1-10 seconds). Most are 320Kb CBR.

Jim

jimwillsher
2005-10-27, 03:55
So far so good. I've installed the nightly build (20051027) and it appears to be running quite happily.

I'll play songs throughout the day and see what happens.

Jim