PDA

View Full Version : Going head-to-head with Roku at Best Buy??

nicketynick
2005-10-25, 09:30
Anybody notice that its now the New Squeezebox Network Music Player? (no 3!) And a shiny new case like that is just the ticket for getting attention in the mass-market retail store. So what do you think? Am I way off base in thinking that I'll soon be able to pick up my new Squeezebox at Best Buy?

JJZolx
2005-10-25, 10:35
Anybody notice that its now the New Squeezebox Network Music Player? (no 3!) And a shiny new case like that is just the ticket for getting attention in the mass-market retail store. So what do you think? Am I way off base in thinking that I'll soon be able to pick up my new Squeezebox at Best Buy?
Very consumer looking, but not exactly what I'd call consumer priced.

Without a native Windows user interface I'm not sure I can see the Squeezebox as a consumer product. Still far too much of a geek toy to be sold at the big boxes.

mattybain
2005-10-25, 11:24
But there is no reason why a windows user interface can't be developed (see Moose 0.05 thread) and then the Squeezebox will be easier to use and can hit the big time like it deserves.

I think Moose is getting to the point where even my wife can use it!

Agree on the price front though lots of people I know are impressed with the hardware but baulk at the price. Is there no way that a cheaper version could be produced?

pfarrell
2005-10-25, 11:37
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 11:24 -0700, mattybain wrote:
> Agree on the price front though lots of people I know are impressed
> with the hardware but baulk at the price. Is there no way that a
> cheaper version could be produced?

Sure, its trivial. Order 100,000 and SlimDevices will cut the price a
lot. Order a million, and the price will be amazing. Consumer
electronics is all about volume. You can make any chip based product
sell of nearly any price, but you have to pay off the engineering
and fab costs, which takes cubic sales.

If there is ever a $90 squeezebox, I'm bailing out of the
support mailing list.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Michaelwagner
2005-10-25, 13:14
If there is ever a $90 squeezebox, I'm bailing out of the support mailing list.If there is ever a $90 squeezebox, they'll *pay* you to dispense wisdom on the mailing list. :-)