PDA

View Full Version : .M4U AAC tracks not showing up in server

jmpage2
2005-10-25, 08:10
I just purchased a non DRM licensed .m4u track from the iTunes store and it's not showing up in the server library. I've turned on all of the options for different file extensions, etc. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

neilcoburn
2005-10-25, 08:16
Slimserver supports .M4A format, not other AACs. The standard workaround is to burn it to a disk in iTunes and re-rip it.

dean
2005-10-25, 08:17
How do you buy a non-DRM file on the iTunes store? I've never heard
of that...

On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:10 AM, jmpage2 wrote:

>
> I just purchased a non DRM licensed .m4u track from the iTunes
> store and
> it's not showing up in the server library. I've turned on all of the
> options for different file extensions, etc. Is there something
> obvious
> I'm missing here?
>
>
> --
> jmpage2
>

jmpage2
2005-10-25, 08:48
My mistake, the file is a .m4a file, any other ideas on why it won't show up?

Dean,

There's an application out there called SharpMusique which allows access to the iTunes store from any platform, and supposedly the music that is downloaded is not DRM protected (I am guessing it identifies itself in some way to iTunes to get a non DRM encoded file)

However, now I am guessing that maybe the file really is DRM protected and that's why it is not showing up in Slimserver.

jmpage2
2005-10-25, 09:50
OK, another wrinkle. I realized that when I was trying to check the box to get AAC files to play via streamed MP3 that the codec was not installed.

I downloaded and installed a LAME RPM (I am running Fedora Core 2) but when I try selecting the checkbox it still complains that it can't find the codec.

Do I have to configure something to tell Slim Devices where the decoder is?

What I would really like to do is transcode the .m4a file to FLAC but I can't find any info on how to do that.

jmpage2
2005-10-25, 10:30
OK, I finally got it figured out.

Had to download newest version of Slimserver, download and configure faad, etc.

So now there is a relatively painful way to purchase music from the iTunes store in an unprotected format and then play it with the squeezebox.

I have not been able to get Softsqueeze to play the file, but I am working on it.