PDA

View Full Version : 6.1 to 6.2 iTunes Library Problems

nickrt
2005-10-25, 01:45
Hi

I have just upgraded to 6.2 on my server which runs XP Professional with the latest iTUNES (6.0.1.3) where my music is stored (about 8,000 songs).

The latest server shows "Starting Slimserver" and then seems to sit there. I have left it for 30 minutes so far! I will leave it longer and see what happens - but is this normal?

I'm a bit worried as all my slim device are off - I guess I can go back to the previous version if this server doe snot work?

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-25, 01:52
Nick,
You should be able to access SlimServer already, but it will be a bit
sluggish until the rescan completes.

Full rescan of my iTunes library on 2Ghz XP, 9000-ish tracks takes 30-40
minutes...

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

nickrt
2005-10-25, 03:08
Hi James

It has been a few hours now on a 2.6GHz pentium. So I stopped and restarted it all - but still no joy!

None of the slimboxes are responding and nor is the web connection. The server software is stuck on "starting slimserver". Sadly there is no progress bar or status to find out what is going on?

Before the update form .1 all was working fine. I use iTUNES to sort my songs and that is fine.

Any ideas?

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-25, 03:21
Can you check there is a 'SlimServer' service installed?
(Services tool under Administrative Tools)

What are it's settings?
Does the status change to 'starting' when you try to start SlimServer
(I'm guessing with the SlimTray tool?)

I would also try opening a command tool and running "c:\program
files\SlimServer\Server\Slim.exe --d_info" to see if anything
interesting happens. The --d_info flag (if I remember correctly) will
provide some feedback on any rescanning that may be happening.

James

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

nickrt
2005-10-25, 03:32
Hi James

Thanks!

I found if I run \program files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe then this did the scan and is running all my devices fine. However, it appears to run in a DOS window on my PC. If I close it, then the server disappears!

It appears to be something wrong with the slimtray.exe - which when I run just this states "starting" but nothing else.

I have checked the services as you suggest and there is no slimserver service listed. I assume this must be the problem! How do I install the service?

(also, you would have thought slimtray would check this and give an error!)?

Thanks

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-25, 03:37
I have seen this mentioned before...

I would run the installer again, it should have created the service the
first time, but it seems this doesn't always work.

Do you remember what the 'start automatically' option was set to when
you installed SlimServer the first time?

James

nickrt
2005-10-25, 04:14
Hi James

Thanks! I uninstalled the server and then reinstalled the lot. It is now working correctly! Each time I set the "run at start" to YES.

The pain was, uninstalling lost my settings and I have 8 players to set up - plus all the other server settings. There ought to be a backup of the setttings that you can "export/import"?

As you can tell, I really like the slim system - but perhaps the developers could put a little more user interface to report problems/errors - as "consumers" will get easily stuck if thios sort of thing happens!

Thanks for your help!!

Nick

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-25, 04:17
Oh dear. I don't think you needed to uninstall.
For future reference the file you need to keep for all the settings is
slimserver.pref

But at least it's working eh?

James

Dan Sully
2005-10-25, 08:18
* nickrt shaped the electrons to say...

>It has been a few hours now on a 2.6GHz pentium. So I stopped and
>restarted it all - but still no joy!

Nick - can you run slim.exe from the command line?

With the --d_itunes debugging flag?

Open a command prompt, and change to the SlimServer/server directory:

slim.exe --d_itunes --d_import --d_server

Thanks.

-D
--
<iNoah> kernel's original recipe: 11 secret args and switches