PDA

View Full Version : Audiophile perspective on the new Squeezebox

JohnnyLightOn
2005-10-24, 17:15
It's a beautiful design and shows that Sean and the SlimDevices folks are continuing to improve on a great product.

From an audiophile perspective, are the internals the same? Power supply as well? I'm specifically interested in anything that has changed in the hardware from the SB2.

pfarrell
2005-10-24, 17:35
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 17:15 -0700, JohnnyLightOn wrote:
> From an audiophile perspective, are the internals the same? Power
> supply as well? I'm specifically interested in anything that has
> changed in the hardware from the SB2.

See Sean's comment in the main list/forum.
Linear PS, I think.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Music Machine
2005-10-24, 18:14
Accordong to this post http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=59367&postcount=4 from Sean the only changes are the antennas and the internal 3.3v ps.

Regards

PhilNYC
2005-10-24, 20:53
So based on all that, the question remains...is there significant reason for audiophiles to upgrade to the new box? eg. is there a significant improvement in the jitter spec on the digital out?

sbjaerum
2005-10-24, 22:53
So based on all that, the question remains...is there significant reason for audiophiles to upgrade to the new box? eg. is there a significant improvement in the jitter spec on the digital out?

I would like to ask the opposite question. Are there any audiophile reasons not to upgrade?
Are the same high-quality components used in version 3 or are different components used in order to reduce manufacturing costs?
On the web pages it is only stated that v3 'is functionally identical to Squeezebox2'...

Steinar

seanadams
2005-10-24, 23:27
Are the same high-quality components used in version 3 or

Yes!

are different components used in order to reduce manufacturing costs?

No!

seanadams
2005-10-24, 23:33
SB3 has 99.9% the same circuitry and measures identically to SB2 on the standard DAC tests (THD, noise floor, etc).

The change to use a linear reg for the 3.3 rail improves jitter measurements, but it's already so close to measurable limits for the equipment I have that it's getting hard to quantify. Maybe if we sell enough SB3s I can get one of those high-end scopes with the jitter analysis option. :)

sbjaerum
2005-10-24, 23:57
SB3 has 99.9% the same circuitry and measures identically to SB2 on the standard DAC tests (THD, noise floor, etc).

The change to use a linear reg for the 3.3 rail improves jitter measurements, but it's already so close to measurable limits for the equipment I have that it's getting hard to quantify. Maybe if we sell enough SB3s I can get one of those high-end scopes with the jitter analysis option. :)

Hopefully you will get a contribution from me soon :)

Steinar