PDA

View Full Version : Random behavior of SB2

aredi
2005-10-19, 12:09
Hi all,

I have had a wireless SB2 for a couple of weeks now and when it works, it is great. Unfortunately, it does not work about half the time. I have not been able to discern a pattern regarding why it works and why it doesn't.

Problems I experience on a seemingly random basis:

-Unable to hear itunes music (even though the display says 'playing,' the EQ display is blank)
-Remote not functioning properly (does not take commands, then suddenly executes all commands in backlog)
-Music drop out with apple lossless files
-Unable to access all my itunes music (sometimes, some songs show up and some don't; it is random which ones do and which ones don't)

I have also noticed the computer sometimes seems to get slow when slimserver is running.

I am using a Mac with the latest OS. There are three users on my computer, two of whom have their own itunes libraries.

Would appreciate any input to fix these problems. Thank you.

NÚstor
2005-10-19, 13:14
Hi,

try the suggestions in this note:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-aacwireless

just fixed similar problems for a friend with a Mac.

regards

aredi
2005-10-19, 22:18
Thank you for your reply.

Being an "audiophile," I can't accept having to listen to all my music via a compressed MP3 format I wonder if someone at slimdevices can confirm that applelossless format is not ideal for wireless streaming. This seems counter to the marketing information.

Any comments about the rest of my problems? I'd appreciate any input.

Fifer
2005-10-20, 02:44
I can't help much as I don't use a Mac or iTunes, but check under Slimserver file types that you have only the FLAC option selected for Apple lossless. This will ensure that the file is streamed with compression but without loss and the decoding will happen on the SB2 end.

aredi
2005-10-20, 07:58
Does this mean that if FLAC only is not selected, the Apple lossless files are converted within my Mac? What is the default if FLAC only is not checked?

Fifer
2005-10-20, 08:24
I believe the default is that Apple lossless are decoded to uncompressed audio (WAV I presume) on the server for streaming. This will place a high demand on wireless network bandwidth.

NÚstor
2005-10-20, 10:48
Hi,

try using a cross network cable between the MAC and the slimserver, or connect both mac and SB to the router with network cables. That way you have an all wired setup, then check if you can hear Apple lossless without problems. If you do, then the problem is in the capacities of your wireless network, not an issue with Slimserver or Squeezebox.

By default AAC files are converted to AIFF (lossless) in your mac and then streamed. If you uncheck the the line about AAC - AIFF , then Slimserver will try to convert your AAC files to FLAC, this will be the better solution as you will be streaming FLAC (compressed) instead of uncompressed audio (but you have to have FLAC installed on your Mac), if then you uncheck also the AAC FLAC line, then you end up with lossy mp3 being transmitted.

regards

aredi
2005-10-20, 15:02
OK, I downloaded MacFlac from sourceforge and installed it (I think). Now, how can I be sure that Slimserver is using FLAC and not anything else? Thank you and regards.

NÚstor
2005-10-20, 15:39
Hi,

just uncheck all AAC lines except for the one that has AAC and mov123/flac. That way the only way to play AAC will be by transcoding to flac.

regards

dean
2005-10-20, 20:31
On Oct 19, 2005, at 10:18 PM, aredi wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Being an "audiophile," I can't accept having to listen to all my music
> via a compressed MP3 format
You shouldn't accept that.

> I wonder if someone at slimdevices can
> confirm that applelossless format is not ideal for wireless streaming.
> This seems counter to the marketing information.
Apple Lossless is converted to FLAC before streaming to Squeezebox2.
That way it's end-to-end lossless with the advantage of the lower
bitrate of flac (compared to uncompressed WAV or AIFF.)

aredi
2005-10-24, 13:21
Dean, I have switched to FLAC only (ie Appplelossless>FLAC>SB2) and there seems to be an improvement - sounds better and no drop outs. Any suggestions on the other problems in stated in my original post? Thank you.

mkosma
2005-10-24, 21:46
I don't think you ever told us what version of the slimserver software you're running. Probably not a bad idea to grab the 6.2 release - it has cleared up lots of my problems.

aredi
2005-10-25, 22:39
I'm running 6.2 now with no diminishment of problems.

In addition to installing the latest version of the software, I also disabled the other users from using the server software, thinking this might be a source of my problems (Kevin at Slimdevices had said that there might be a problem running applelossless files from itunes for users running Macs with multiple users). Unfortunately, I am still not able to reliably access the music on my hard drive.

I am getting to the point where I am ready to throw in the towel. It is frustrating because when the SB works, it is great but I can no longer tolerate its weird behaviour. Perhaps if I wait for 6-12 months, there will be some more robust software for Macs with multiple users?