PDA

View Full Version : Direct connection to amp

sleepysurf
2005-10-19, 06:39
Just curious how many are using the new Preamp Volume Control (under Player Settings - Audio, in recent Slimserver beta) to *DIRECTLY* connect your Squeezebox2 to your amp, via analog outs.

With an attenuation setting of "2", I now have full range volume control without clipping or overloading my amp (a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 ~five, which is vertically biamped for driving Martin-Logan Aerius i's)

I am utterly flabbergasted by the quantum leap in audio quality this provides in *MY* system, and am wondering what others have found. I am even more flabbergasted by the quality of the native SB2 DAC under these conditions. I was originally planning to buy an outboard DAC (Benchmark) but can't imagine how it could possibly sound any better than what I've got now!

usualsuspects
2005-10-20, 17:27
Well, I am doing half of this. My squeezebox2 is directly connected to my Parasound HCA-750 amp. The amp has adjustable attenuators on the inputs - I use those instead of the preamp volume control in the SB2.

As to the SB2 DAC – I have never heard a device in the SB2 price range ($200 - $300) that sounds remotely close to being as good as the SB2. I think it is a steal price wise , and I love the opensource software and extremely hacker friendly attitude of the Slim Devices people. I am so tired of being treated like a criminal by the manufacturer when I want to modify a device to fit my needs, or use it in a way that was not foreseen. While I am on this line of thought – Oppo Digital makes a great DVD player that is very inexpensive and has the same attitude: listen to your customers, and add the features that they want. Both companies seem to “get it” – when your customers want to modify your products – that is not a threat – the modder community is your friend and will evangelize your company and products if you are open to them. So many companies see anyone with a screwdriver (not the drink) in their hands and just freak out. Sorry I went off on a tangent there….

Back to the DAC – is it very good? Yes. Is it the be-all end-all of DAC’s? No. There are plenty of DAC’s out there that sound better/different – most of them are high $ devices – even on the %20 of retail - resale market. I happen to like the Classe DAC1.

cliveb
2005-10-21, 03:09
Just curious how many are using the new Preamp Volume Control (under Player Settings - Audio, in recent Slimserver beta) to *DIRECTLY* connect your Squeezebox2 to your amp, via analog outs.
I do this. My SB2 is connected directly to the inputs of my ATC SCM100A active monitors. The system really looks a little daft now: a pair of gigantic speakers being fed by what looks like a clock-radio.

Once I heard how good this setup sounded, I sold my high-end CD player and preamp. I was then contemplating getting something like a Benchmark DAC1, but then realised that the SB2 on its own is so good that there are better things to spend my money on. (Mind you, if the DAC1 were available in the UK for the same price as the US - about 500 quid instead of 975 - I'd probably get one).

I don't even need to attenuate the SB2 output. Normal listening levels require the SB2 volume to be set somewhere around 20-25. But if you are familiar with the ATCs, you'll understand that there are times when you fancy a real head-banging session, so keeping the ability to blow out the windows is important.

cbemoore
2005-10-21, 07:04
I do this. My SB2 is connected directly to the inputs of my ATC SCM100A active monitors. The system really looks a little daft now: a pair of gigantic speakers being fed by what looks like a clock-radio.

My bedroom system is similar - the SB2 is connected directly to a Mackie HRS120 sub, and on to a pair of Mackie HR624 active monitors. And it sounds yummy!!

Chris

ModelCitizen
2005-10-21, 12:00
The system really looks a little daft now: a pair of gigantic speakers being fed by what looks like a clock-radio.
Ha ha ha ha!
We really need thing in a good looking box. The SB looks positively embarrassing in my minimal-objects-but-what-is-there-looks-gorgeous lounge.
No, I don't have the time to mod it!

I am certain that things would be improved if I stuck the Squeezebox directly into my power amp and found the lots-of-bollocks sweet point with the output level. Unfortunately Naim power amps only have one input... :-(
MC

sleepysurf
2005-10-21, 13:17
If your amp only has a single input, a simple solution is to use a passive switch (el cheapo RadioShack model, or one of the Audiophile grade ones) as discussed here...
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=22189&highlight=

FYI... I am using the RadioShack one with NO deleterious effect on sound quality. I can now select between my SB2 input, or my Yamaha RX-V1000 (for tuner/home theater).

hifiresource
2005-10-22, 09:56
I've got mine connected via a Wadia 301 with digital inputs and it's quite magical. The cost/quality ratio of high-end audio is definitely reaching a tolerable state!

Bob