PDA

View Full Version : SOX vs OGGDEC problems

sdevans
2005-10-18, 02:02
Having just upgraded from version 5.4 to version 6.1, (bit slow I know), I noticed real lags with the response from my weedy music server. Particularly noticable was stopping or skipping tracks in a list, whilst playing continuously (from track to track) was fine.

I thought it was mainly my music stored as ogg files, rather than the majority of flac files, so I investigated. It appears slimserver now uses sox (?) to decode ogg files and reverting the convert.conf file back to make it use oggdec cured the problems.

Has anyone else experienced this? I note that the change to SOX was to get over problems with ogg streams, but I don't do that so is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks

Stephen.

cliveb
2005-10-19, 01:20
I thought it was mainly my music stored as ogg files, rather than the majority of flac files, so I investigated. It appears slimserver now uses sox (?) to decode ogg files and reverting the convert.conf file back to make it use oggdec cured the problems.

Has anyone else experienced this? I note that the change to SOX was to get over problems with ogg streams, but I don't do that so is there anything else I'm missing?
I've seen exactly the same issue, and solved it the same way. This was when running Slimserver on a low-end (533MHz mini-ITX) Windows 2000 box. My guess is that SOX under Windows is significantly less efficient than OGGDEC.

sdevans
2005-10-19, 01:37
cheers cliveb, I'll go back to SOX if I ever upgrade the 'server' computer which is only a Pentium II, I think.

Stephen.