PDA

View Full Version : new user woes (was working, now it's not)

narlus
2005-10-12, 18:17
i ordered an SB2 a while ago, but didn't hook it into my network until my wireless network issues were sorted (turned out to be an NVIDIA firewall issue). once all my PCs could see each other, i installed the SB2 w/ zero problems. it was one of the easiest out of the box configuration jobs i've had yet.

this was about 4 weeks ago. the SB2 was working flawlessly, and i was very happy w/ it. today, my wife was playing some music (johnny cash, if you must know), and she said it just stopped working and then the display turned off. no other details, really.

so after dinner i go to start troubleshooting. i can't get it to connect to the wireless network where it was (downstairs, networked via my WAP11 (b) which is upstairs. i bring it upstairs and no luck. i can't get it to connect to the wireless network.

i've gone through screens where i can get an IP address assigned, but it ends up not connecting to my network.

there were no changes to my network settings, as far as i know. my wife doesn't touch that sort of stuff, and frankly i'm a novice at it as well.

this is frustrating to have my 400GB of music unreachable in the place i want to listen to it. help!

edit - i can connect to the squeeze network, but not to the slim server.

MrC
2005-10-12, 18:27
Hi Narlus,

If you've been allocated a dynamic IP address, then the wireless network is working correctly. DHCP happens after the wireless network is configured and working.

If you are not connecting, perhaps there are still firewall issues.

*) What version of the server are you running?
*) Can you connect to the server via the web ok?
*) Do you see your SB2 listed as a player (if you can connect via the web)?

narlus
2005-10-12, 18:57
Hi Narlus,

If you've been allocated a dynamic IP address, then the wireless network is working correctly. DHCP happens after the wireless network is configured and working.

If you are not connecting, perhaps there are still firewall issues.

well the other two wireless devices (laptops) are working fine.

*) What version of the server are you running?

*) Can you connect to the server via the web ok?

i think so, if i understand your question correctly. well, i used to. i had clicked on the slimserver taskbar icon and could see the remaining johnny cash songs. but just now i powered my PC down, powered down my router/WAP and modem, and then re-booted. now the player is not found. i just got a new IP address assigned, but still get the "can't connect" message.

*) Do you see your SB2 listed as a player (if you can connect via the web)?

not anymore (see above).

now my current settings on the player show no gateway or DNS server addresses (they are 0.0.0.0)

MrC
2005-10-12, 19:18
I saw your later edit, in that you were able to connect to SqueezeNetwork. This also demonstrates clearly that your wireless network is(was) working fine.

The issue is that your server is allowing your SB2 to connect. This can happen if any of these is true:

a) the server is configured to restrict/allow some IP addresses
b) your server system's firewall is enabled and misconfigured
c) your Norton, McAfee, etc. antivirus/antiworm software is blocking incoming connect attempts on ports 9000 and 3843
d) your server is not currently running (test by opening a browser to page http://localhost:9000 on the server system.)

But now after rebooting your router, your SB2 no longer has all of its IP settings, just an IP address? Is that IP address in the 169.254.x.x range? Or is it an IP address your router has configured for DHCP use (such as 192.168.1.x)?

Is your router configured with all the appropriate IP settings (DHCP enabled, DNS server, correct netmask, correct broadcast, correct gateway)?

Also be sure your MAC address on the SB2 is the same as the one on the label on the bottom of the SB2.

narlus
2005-10-13, 04:58
I saw your later edit, in that you were able to connect to SqueezeNetwork. This also demonstrates clearly that your wireless network is(was) working fine.

The issue is that your server is allowing your SB2 to connect. This can happen if any of these is true:

a) the server is configured to restrict/allow some IP addresses
b) your server system's firewall is enabled and misconfigured
c) your Norton, McAfee, etc. antivirus/antiworm software is blocking incoming connect attempts on ports 9000 and 3843
d) your server is not currently running (test by opening a browser to page http://localhost:9000 on the server system.)

But now after rebooting your router, your SB2 no longer has all of its IP settings, just an IP address? Is that IP address in the 169.254.x.x range? Or is it an IP address your router has configured for DHCP use (such as 192.168.1.x)?

Is your router configured with all the appropriate IP settings (DHCP enabled, DNS server, correct netmask, correct broadcast, correct gateway)?

Also be sure your MAC address on the SB2 is the same as the one on the label on the bottom of the SB2.

my IP address on the SB2 is in the 169.254.x.x range, which i don't think it was before (it was in the other range you mentioned).

i haven't touched my router configurations (don't even know how to access them), so i doubt any of that changed.

?

edit - i just removed and re-installed slimserver 6.1.1 but that did nothing. i also confirmed that the MAC address of the SB2 is the same as printed on the bottom of the device.

dean
2005-10-13, 08:17
On Oct 13, 2005, at 4:58 AM, narlus wrote:
> my IP address on the SB2 is in the 169.254.x.x range, which i don't
> think it was before (it was in the other range you mentioned).
>
> i haven't touched my router configurations (don't even know how to
> access them), so i doubt any of that changed.
It looks like the Squeezebox isn't able to get an IP address from
your DHCP server (the 169.254 address is automatically assigned if
there's no DHCP server found.) Try restarting your router and then
your squeezebox and see if that gets it back on line.

-dean

narlus
2005-10-14, 04:48
no, that didn't work and the IP address is in the same range.

narlus
2005-10-14, 04:50
well i just tried something else and it worked.

i just went back to network settings, tried a different SSID and it worked.

weird.

narlus
2005-10-16, 11:18
it's flaked out again.

why would my SB2 suddenly lose connection w/ my wireless network? this is really frustrating. i haven't been able to reconnect.

the IP is in the 169 range now.

argh.

MrC
2005-10-16, 11:25
narlus, there are a number of reasons why your wireless network will become unstable, or connections drop. A main cause is nearby 2.4Ghz cordless phone interference. They can kill your connection immediately, and frequently. Another is other nearby wireless access points. Either of these can lead to unstable or unusable 802.11b/g wireless networks.

Spend a little time search the forum here for various suggestions regarding wireless connection troubles.

narlus
2005-10-17, 04:21
well i read a few things and decided to look into my router/WAP/channel stuff. i updated the firmware on both the router, and WAP, and changed the channel.

bingo, it worked!

however, it caused some massive instabilities to my PC (blue screens indicating a driver issue). :(

i ended up rolling back the PC via system restore to a point before i started mucking about. we'll see if that's OK...the SB2 is still connected, so that's a start. hopefully the PC will be stable.

narlus
2005-10-18, 09:55
well the good news is that i think i've got my connection drop issues sorted out.

the bad news is that my PC isn't stable for more than anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes. seems like some driver issue causing instability when i updated the firmware to the router and wireless access point.

anyone know why a system restore, done to a point before i made these changes, wouldn't cure this?

MrC
2005-10-18, 10:59
I'm unconvinced that a firmware update to your router caused instability on your PC. The timing may have been coincidental, or possibly caused by a driver update which was simultaneously applied, and perhaps not done correctly. No offense, but most folks won't read a word of installation/deinstallation instructions. Its possible you missed something during your install.

Windows system restore is a marginally useful rollback mechanism. It can only clean up what it knows about, and some installers are weak at best. It is something you want to use in catastrophic cases, but not as a daily routine to uninstall poorly evaluated software.

There are countless ways Windows can crash and become unstable. Without further diag, debug, and error messages on your part, it will be impossible for anyone to offer further advice.

narlus
2005-10-18, 13:24
the reason i mentioned a driver was that i needed to install the USB utlity driver so i could check the configuration of the WAP, and that was *the* only thing i did aside from the firmware update. i am not a comp/debug kinda guy, but here's the history:

i downloaded the firmware files from linksys, but in order to flash the firmware on the WAP via USB connection, i needed to run the USB driver utility. this wasn't on this PC, because it had already been configured on my older PC (originally via Win98, then Win2K) and just plugged into my new PC.

i upgraded firmware, used the USB utility to change the channel, all is well. or not.

blue screen hits, w/ the line something like DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL and a STOP 0x00000001 command line. all signs point to a hardware issue, so i did a system restore to before i mucked about w/ the firmware and USB utility driver.

it doesn't stop the crashes.

MicroSsoft is no help; the resolution from the knowledge base is just to check the CHL and of course since my router and WAP are old, they aren't on the list for XP.

i see my options as:

- getting on the phone w/ Linksys and seeing if they can help me out

- getting new wireless hardware, tested to be compatible w/ XP

- trying a clean reinstall of my system

?

MrC
2005-10-18, 13:34
blue screen hits, w/ the line something like DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL and a STOP 0x00000001 command line. all signs point to a hardware issue, so i did a system restore to before i mucked about w/ the firmware and USB utility driver.

This is a common occurrence with incorrectly installed, or failed installs with USB drivers on Windows. I'm betting you have incorrect or multiple entires in your USB device tree, that are causing problems during enumeration at device start and/or interrupt time.

My suggestion would be to uninstall the USB driver software that you installed, remove the USB device, and restart. Then go to Device Manager and find the USB devices at the end of the list and expand the list. There will be many entries there, and most will probably be unmeaningful to you. Your goal is to remove the bogus USB devices so that windows can re-enumerate. However, there will be no for me to help tell you which ones, since I don't have any idea what is on your system, and what USB devices you have connected. If you can see your device there, just click that device and delete it. If you are not sure, you can delete the USB Root Hubs and/or Generic USB Hubs if you are not using a USB keyboard or mouse. Then, after deletion, restarting will cause Windows to find and configure the devices.

After all this is done, then get the latest version of the USB driver software you think you need for you platform, install it, and THEN connect your USB cable for your router.

If done correctly, this is likely to eliminate the BSoD you are experiencing.

narlus
2005-10-18, 13:54
sweet, thanks a heap MrC.

the only caveat i have is that i lose my other internet connections when the router's out of service. if i can't that back, i'm really hosed.

edit - one thing which i thought was weird is that i'm unable to launch into safe mode. when i hit F8 during bootup, it takes me to a boot screen, where i can choose which device or drive i wanna boot from. when i select the C: drive, it boots as normal. i never do see a "safe mode" option anywhere.

Robin Bowes
2005-10-18, 14:02
narlus said the following on 18/10/2005 21:54:
> sweet, thanks a heap MrC.
>
> the only caveat i have is that i lose my other internet connections
> when the router's out of service. if i can't that back, i'm really
> hosed.

Throw your USB router in the bin (or trash, if you're in the US) and get
yourself an ethernet modem/router.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

narlus
2005-10-18, 14:26
narlus said the following on 18/10/2005 21:54:
> sweet, thanks a heap MrC.
>
> the only caveat i have is that i lose my other internet connections
> when the router's out of service. if i can't that back, i'm really
> hosed.

Throw your USB router in the bin (or trash, if you're in the US) and get
yourself an ethernet modem/router.

R.
--

is he still wrong?

it *is* an ethernet router (BEFRS41), the WAP just uses a USB connection for configuration purposes.

Robin Bowes
2005-10-18, 14:46
narlus said the following on 18/10/2005 22:26:
> Robin Bowes Wrote:
>
>>narlus said the following on 18/10/2005 21:54:
>>
>>>sweet, thanks a heap MrC.
>>>
>>>the only caveat i have is that i lose my other internet connections
>>>when the router's out of service. if i can't that back, i'm really
>>>hosed.
>>
>>Throw your USB router in the bin (or trash, if you're in the US) and
>>get
>>yourself an ethernet modem/router.
>>
>>R.
>>--
>>http://robinbowes.com
>>
>>If a man speaks in a forest,
>>and his wife's not there,
>>is he still wrong?
>
>
> it *is* an ethernet router (BEFRS41), the WAP just uses a USB
> connection for configuration purposes.

You have a separate router (I presume you mean BEFSR41?) and WAP?

What model is the WAP? Does it not have a web-based configuration utility?

R.
--

is he still wrong?

narlus
2005-10-18, 18:28
it's a WAP11 (linksys), and the utility is web-based, but apparently i need a USB driver and cable to connect the PC and WAP.

MrC
2005-10-18, 18:35
From the WAP11 I see on Linksys' website, there is no USB port on the device, but there is an ethernet port.

narlus
2005-10-18, 19:13
From the WAP11 I see on Linksys' website, there is no USB port on the device, but there is an ethernet port.

the USB is only used for configuration. here's a semi-crappy photo of the rear of the WAP11. maybe the newer ones ditched this.

MrC
2005-10-18, 20:37
I see now, there are several versions of the WEP11. You must have V1.1. It's a dinosaur!

The USB utility is a driver and utility used to do what is done via web interface today. That utility was not written for XP, and I would personally not install it. You've already exprienced why.

Given that you can purchase a new Linksys B/G/MIMO router/AP on the cheap, that also has far superior encryption (WPA, WPA2 vs. WEP), and a modern configuration mechanism, I would take Robin's earlier advice and toss that WEP11 into the circular file, or donate it to some charity.

narlus
2005-10-19, 05:15
sounds like a good plan.

however, i still need to figure out how to remove that utility. during the scant moments my machine was up before crashing, i went into add/remove programs and the only thing i found was the Firmware update program, not the USB Utility. hrm...

is this something that i need to find via the system manager/device window?

thanks for all suggestions, i realize this has gone far beyond the scope of the squeezebox 2.

edit - <crossed fingers> looks like i'm sorted. thanks again for all the help. sounds like i will be making a visit to the newegg site today.

new edit - BSoD is back. :( looks like that firmware update removal didn't actually fix the driver part. i guess i'll be on linksys tech chat tonight.

narlus
2005-10-19, 16:18
well, the linksys support person pointed me to a USB utility for XP, so i downloaded and installed that, and i'm set! woot! to top it all off, i got the slimscrobbler working (stupid error on my part of not putting the .pm file in the right folder).

big thanks again to all who helped out, much appreciated.