PDA

View Full Version : What hardware: NAS or Soho server?

dad@home
2005-10-12, 12:26
Hi all,
I have not yet purchased my SB2 but will soon. I currently have a SFF computer running Mandrake LE2005, and a wireless network set up in my house. I would like to achieve two goals:
1. run slimserver without having my main computer on
2. create network storage for backups

I have read many threads and spent a lot of time pondering, and it seems like hacking into linkstation is way out of my league. Too many risks involved and the risk of "slow" function.

So I guess my only two options left are: wait for a NAS to come on the market with slimserver pre-installed, or install a server on my network.

Now if I go the server route, I will have many decisions to make: how much RAM, which processor, dual or single proc., how power hungry, etc.

One solution I have been looking at for a small soho sever is a mac mini G4 1.42 GHz (256/80 Go/DVD-ROM+CD-RW)

Can someone contribute a configuration for a soho server that would be cost effective, fill the two objectives above, and not require extensive hacking to get there?

thanks
Christian

radish
2005-10-12, 12:52
Is assembling a PC considered too much hacking? I got a cheap case, low end (== low power consumption, low noise) Athlon processor, half a gig of ram and a whole heap of disk space. Came to about the same as the Mac mini and it's way more suitable as a server (there are 4 spare bays in the case just waiting for more drives when I need them).

If you want something prebuilt, the mini is fine, but be prepared to spend a lot on external disks. 80gb is nothing for a music library (never mind a backup server). You could grab whatever cheap PC dell is doing as their deal of the day (usually $3-400) and throw in a couple more disks yourself.

JJZolx
2005-10-12, 13:24
Hi all,
I have not yet purchased my SB2 but will soon. I currently have a SFF computer running Mandrake LE2005, and a wireless network set up in my house. I would like to achieve two goals:
1. run slimserver without having my main computer on
2. create network storage for backups

I have read many threads and spent a lot of time pondering, and it seems like hacking into linkstation is way out of my league. Too many risks involved and the risk of "slow" function.

So I guess my only two options left are: wait for a NAS to come on the market with slimserver pre-installed, or install a server on my network.

Now if I go the server route, I will have many decisions to make: how much RAM, which processor, dual or single proc., how power hungry, etc.

One solution I have been looking at for a small soho sever is a mac mini G4 1.42 GHz (256/80 Go/DVD-ROM+CD-RW)

Can someone contribute a configuration for a soho server that would be cost effective, fill the two objectives above, and not require extensive hacking to get there?
Your main computer is a SFF - small form factor - PC?

Actually, that's what I've been looking at for my dedicated SlimServer machine. I already have an NAS (ReadyNAS 600, with 4 320GB drives) for my music storage, which is actually overkill for only music, as a FLAC library of 1000 CDs can fit pretty confortably on a single 400GB hard disk. But I also use the NAS for backup storage and for video storage. The ReadyNAS is roughly the size of a SFF PC, so if I add a SFF PC for a server, then it doesn't need much disk space and can easily fit on the shelf next to the NAS.

If you have a working knowledge of Linux, then go with Linux over Windows. You don't say how much disk space you'll need for both music and data backup, so an SFF box may not have enough space unless you add external drives or NAS storage.

I'm not convinced that any (of the current crop) NAS is really suited for running SlimServer. There's a big difference between "running" and "running well". I'm just not into using a machine that's going to take 8 hours to catalog my modest music library and may or may not respond to remote clicks or web page requests within a reasonable time frame.

jtf
2005-10-12, 16:58
I would suggest using ClarkConnect as your server OS. It is a stripped down version of Linux designed to be an internet gateway or standalone server. ClarkConnect can be managed from any computer on your network and it has a very slick web interface. It is very easy to install SlimServer on it and it also has backup features. Check it out at http://www.clarkconnect.org/index.php