PDA

View Full Version : Controling a Squeezebox/Slimserver with a Sony PSP

autopilot
2005-10-12, 10:16
Seeing as the Sony PSP has a web browser and WiFi, allowing it to be linked to a home network, would it be posible to control slim server with a PSP?

If it's not posible as it is, could a plugin be writen? That would be so cool seeing as the squeezebox has an IR remote not an RF remote.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, i don't have a squeezebox just yet but can't wait. I love the fact i can use cue sheets for compressed CD images, which is my prefered backup method. But anyway, would using a PSP over WiFi not be a great idea?

kdf
2005-10-12, 10:29
Quoting dangerous_dom <dangerous_dom.1wsujb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Seeing as the Sony PSP has a web browser and WiFi, allowing it to be
> linked to a home network, would it be posible to control slim server
> with a PSP?
>
Slimserver allows control via most web browsers. There is a skin, handheld,
that works for PDA devices. The layout is portrai, so it might be a bit
awkward with the PSP. There has been at least one skin posted to these forums
somewhere that used landscape layout. I dont know if it is updated and hosted
by the author anywhere. A search here sould find it. I think it was called
"V", which doesn't make the search very easy (minimum 3 characters).

You can always download slimserver, install it and try it out. A software
player is included with the download, althougth I doubt PSP could run it (java
based). However, it would be useful on the host pc or any other pc on your
network.

-kdf

mherger
2005-10-12, 10:29
> Seeing as the Sony PSP has a web browser and WiFi, allowing it to be
> linked to a home network, would it be posible to control slim server
> with a PSP?

If you can access any web server you should be fine. Just point it to eg.
http://yourserver:9000/Handheld/ - Handheld is a skin optimized for small
screens.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

radish
2005-10-12, 11:06
If you look around there have already been a number of threads about the PSP - the short answer is that the handheld skin works pretty much fine, although browse by artwork is strangely broken. The touchscreen skin looked pretty good to me too.

CardinalFang
2005-10-12, 12:07
If you look around there have already been a number of threads about the PSP - the short answer is that the handheld skin works pretty much fine, although browse by artwork is strangely broken. The touchscreen skin looked pretty good to me too.

I have used my PSP as a SlimServer remote before, but I don't use it often as it is 802.11b, not g, so if like me you have a wireless SB streaming lossless, then you are impacting the cabability of the network to support that as it all slows down to b speeds.

Sure looks purty though :-)

autopilot
2005-10-12, 16:11

Yeah, did a search for 'psp' but came up with nothing, which supprised me as i knew i could not have been the first person to think of this!

Michaelwagner
2005-10-12, 21:07
Is it just me? First time I skimmed this thread title, this is what I thougth I saw ...

radish
2005-10-12, 21:19
Is it just me? First time I skimmed this thread title, this is what I thougth I saw ...
You'd need a really big remote - those hoofs are hardly dainty.