PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference in the digital signal?

JJZolx
2005-10-11, 17:47
Theoretically, is there a difference in the s/pdif out between when the server setting is fixed volume and when it's variable, but set at the maximum level?

I use the Squeezebox2 with an external DAC and often listen to the system from my home office, which is in a partly-enclosed alcove off of my living room. For background listening like this, it's convenient to be able to control the volume, but for serious listening I fix the volume. I find that it's not very convenient to switch between the two settings. I'll admit, though, I haven't really noticed a sonic difference.

seanadams
2005-10-11, 20:27
Theoretically, is there a difference in the s/pdif out between when the server setting is fixed volume and when it's variable, but set at the maximum level?

I use the Squeezebox2 with an external DAC and often listen to the system from my home office, which is in a partly-enclosed alcove off of my living room. For background listening like this, it's convenient to be able to control the volume, but for serious listening I fix the volume. I find that it's not very convenient to switch between the two settings. I'll admit, though, I haven't really noticed a sonic difference.

It's the same data (you can verify correct passthrough using a DTS track). In fact it bypasses the multiply function altogether when gain is unity in either case.

JJZolx
2005-10-14, 23:59
It's the same data (you can verify correct passthrough using a DTS track). In fact it bypasses the multiply function altogether when gain is unity in either case.
Something just occurred to me... What if you have ReplayGain enabled, non-fixed digital out volume, and gain is unity (by this I assume you mean set at the maximum level)? Is ReplayGain applied to the digital signal in this case?

seanadams
2005-10-16, 12:19
Something just occurred to me... What if you have ReplayGain enabled, non-fixed digital out volume, and gain is unity (by this I assume you mean set at the maximum level)? Is ReplayGain applied to the digital signal in this case?

ReplayGain is applied on a track-by-track basis (necessary to support crossfade), and is separate from the main volume control. So no, fixed (or max) output level will not override it.

dwc
2005-10-21, 18:14
To clarify... fixed volume is the same as max volume when using digital output? i.e. unity gain?

Thx Dan