PDA

View Full Version : Slimscrobbler- why should I have it?

jonolumb
2005-10-11, 13:13
I have been looking into this slimscrobbler thing- I understand it sends information to the audioscrobbler servers to tell it what you have been listening to. However,I dont understand the advantage of doing so!
Is there some way you can listen to the last.fm audio streams on your squeezebox or something?
Can somebody explain this idea to me?
Thanks
JOno

snarlydwarf
2005-10-11, 13:22
The advantages:

1) After you've reported 'enough' they'll make automated recommendations on other things that you may be interested in. For me, it's about as accurate as Amazon's: sometimes it's "oh, yeah, and I even have that around here somewhere, let me find it and rip it, how could I have missed it?" and sometimes it's "yeah, right..." But my tastes are.. odd. People with less extreme tastes no doubt get more credible recommendations.

2) You can see what people who listen to 'similar' music are listening to lately. This may pick up more interesting music for you.

3) Your last.fm 'neighbor radio' gets closer to reality ins what you may like. You can listen to this with the last.fm player....

4) Yes, there is a 'LastFM' module for Slimserver which lets you listen to stations there.

(Gads and I didnt even get into 'tags' but then some of the tag stations are.. odd.)

Dave Dewey
2005-10-11, 13:35
Quoting snarlydwarf (snarlydwarf.1wr8fn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> The advantages:
>

6) It will drive your competitive spirit to listen to more music when you see
how many more songs your friends have listened to than you.

7) You'll find yourself becoming frustrated when you listen to music that isn't
being 'Scrobbed, because it doesn't 'count.'

8) Your friends can make fun of you when your #1 artist of the week is Kelly
Clarkson, no matter how much you protest that it was your wife listeing
to the backyard Squeezebox.

http://www.last.fm/user/ddewey/

stinkingpig
2005-10-11, 19:07
snarlydwarf wrote:

>The advantages:
>
>1) After you've reported 'enough' they'll make automated
>recommendations on other things that you may be interested in. For
>me, it's about as accurate as Amazon's: sometimes it's "oh, yeah, and I
>even have that around here somewhere, let me find it and rip it, how
>could I have missed it?" and sometimes it's "yeah, right..." But my
>tastes are.. odd. People with less extreme tastes no doubt get more
>credible recommendations.
>
>
>
ditto.

>2) You can see what people who listen to 'similar' music are listening
>to lately. This may pick up more interesting music for you.
>
>3) Your last.fm 'neighbor radio' gets closer to reality ins what you
>may like. You can listen to this with the last.fm player....
>
>
I have an interesting use case -- I travel a lot, and my home's uplink
speed is not very good. So if I can't get to the home Slimserver, I can
always listen to last.fm instead and it will have some decent music on it.

http://www.last.fm/user/Stinkingpig/

--
Jack At Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin
so across the Western ocean I must wander" -- trad.

Dan Goodinson
2005-10-12, 01:02
Dave Dewey wrote:

>6) It will drive your competitive spirit to listen to more music when
you see
> how many more songs your friends have listened to than you.>
>
>7) You'll find yourself becoming frustrated when you listen to music
that isn't
> being 'Scrobbed, because it doesn't 'count.'
>
>8) Your friends can make fun of you when your #1 artist of the week is
Kelly
> Clarkson, no matter how much you protest that it was your wife
listening
> to the backyard Squeezebox.

9) And also, if you are particularly sad and geeky, you can also get
cool signatures from http://www.denness.net; you can use them as your
signature in internet forums to show the last tracks played on your
squeezebox.

(I thought it was totally cool. My GF laughed and said I was a complete
geek.)

Allan Hise
2005-10-12, 14:11
On 12 Oct 2005, at 10:02 , Dan Goodinson wrote:

> 9) And also, if you are particularly sad and geeky, you can also get
> cool signatures from http://www.denness.net; you can use them as your
> signature in internet forums to show the last tracks played on your
> squeezebox.

Why aren't they in this email???

bklaas
2005-10-14, 16:20
Quoting snarlydwarf (snarlydwarf.1wr8fn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

8) Your friends can make fun of you when your #1 artist of the week is Kelly
Clarkson, no matter how much you protest that it was your wife listeing
to the backyard Squeezebox.

Wow, that's soooo weird because my wife did the same thing...listened to a bunch of Kelly Clarkson and made it on to my weekly top 10...luckily though, my last.fm account tells me that "You don't have any friends", so there's no one to make fun of me...

Also, my 1 year old daughter's favorite song, by FAR, is Beck's "Que Onde Guero". I have no issue whatsoever with this being listed as my favorite track...my daughter has better taste.

Audioscrobbler rules. I'm not sure anyone mentioned it, but another nice aspect of it is that it can catalog music played on multiple players, even (gasp) non-squeezeboxen...

#!/ben

ceejay
2005-10-15, 03:10
Well, many thanks for this discussion, this has been interesting. I'm now trying out last.fm and have added the scrobbler plugins for slimserver and foobar2000.

Just one thing: Snarlydwarf mentioned a "LastFM" module for slim... I can't see anything like this on the Plugins page, have I missed something?

Many thanks

Ceejay

snarlydwarf
2005-10-15, 08:49
http://www.jamescraig.co.uk/SlimServer has the LastFM plugin. :)

mattybain
2005-10-15, 12:52
OMG This is amazing, apart from an over tendency to play Garbage and Suede I have been very royally entertained for the past 3-4 hours with a mixture of old favourites and new gems. All from playing radio with songs like Catatonia. Thanks for this thread for showing me what can be done and thanks to James Craig for writting the LastFM plugin.

Couple of questions spring to mind - How do they manage to stream such good music at such a good quality and how do they make money for a free service?

Has anybody paid for an upgraded account? they seem to only want 1.5GBP for this which doesn't seem right.

I can highly recommend LastFM, wow - it is now playing my favourite Stereophonics track, it's like it can see into my mind....

snarlydwarf
2005-10-15, 19:22
no idea how they make money...

but, yeah, i pay for an upgraded account. i'm not sure of all the perqs (my own radio, ie, just music i've played and i think some of the artist radios...)

I haven't figured out how to make those work with the lastfm plugin tho. :(

jonolumb
2005-10-16, 07:21
well this thread certainly sparked up some interest- and I've learned a lot too.
As to how they make their money?
At a guess....
Would I be right in thinking that they can do what they want with the information that has been gathered? Do you not think that some record companies and music stores would be dying to get their hands on the database so that they can sharpen up their marketing.
Its just a guess... but its quite possible that they could make a fortune out of selling information.
However, I am not against this (if indeed this is the case- like I said, its a guess). Its hardly breaching privacy and they provide a cool service.
Jono

superbad
2005-10-16, 08:04
It's possible (likely) that I'm being thick, but I can't get the last.fm plugin installed properly. I copied the unzipped folder to the plugins folder, but nothing ever shows up on the SS plugin config page. I do get a last.fm entry under the Internet Radio link, but it doesn't do anything (presumably because I can't configure it). I do have SlimScrobbler installed and working, and have for a while.

This is 6.1.2, a nightly from last week sometime. Any ideas?

mattybain
2005-10-16, 08:53
I am using 6.2 and for this version the login details are on the Internet Radio tab of Server Settings and not plugins. Right at the top you can enter your username and password.

To be honest I had to do a bit of tinkering to get it to work, in fact I was just about to give up when it started working (for a while the LastFM page just had LastFM on it, now it has the title, album art, last five songs and the love, ban, skip buttons). I have no idea what I did to finally get it work.

It is worth persevering with as the integration with slimserver is quite cool.

rme
2005-10-16, 10:23
Ok, I got it working so far...

Go to last.fm and create an account

Go to http://www.last.fm/postsignup.php and download the windows or whatever version of audioscrobbler

Go to http://www.last.fm/help/plugin/?id=13 and download the slimserver plugin - which redirects you to http://slimscrobbler.sourceforge.net to download the latest slimserver plugin. There are 2 files

- Put Scrobbler.pm into the Plugins directory.

- Put the entire SlimScrobbleSupport directory into the Plugins directory.

- Restart SlimServer.

Go to slimserver http page and then server settings/plugins page and make sure that audioscrobbler submitter is checked and under the audioscrobbler options below - make sure you enter your last.fm userid and password and set autosubmit to on. I think this then submits what you listen to on sb2 automatically to your last.fm profile - not sure what max pending requests means - let us know if you figure this out.

Go to slimserver/server settings/internet radio settings and check lastfm under internet radio and under last fm internet radio settings below enter your userid and password. Under enter your favorite lastfm stations - enter the tag type and names that you are interested in. For example I entered user/enter your user id here for my personal station, then in the next box I entered globaltags/progressive rock for their progressive rock station. when you press change, then it will give you more boxes to add more stations. You can find the global tag stations at http://www.last.fm/tags/ to enter.

On your sb2, you can then go to internet radio on the main menu and below that you should see LastFM station, then press right and it will say "press play to start LastFM". once it is started, you can press up or down arrow to change stations then right arrow to see all the stations you added in your slimserver favorite radion stations above in.

Seems to be working so far...

Edit - You don't need to add user/enter your userid here as it automatically assumes that you want your own station in the list of available links

Niek Jongerius
2005-10-16, 10:32
>
> Ok, I got it working so far...

A Wiki update perhaps? http://wiki.slimdevices.com

Niek.

SlimPvC
2005-10-16, 14:17
Go to slimserver/server settings/internet radio settings and check lastfm under internet radio and under last fm internet radio settings below enter your userid and password. Under enter your favorite lastfm stations - enter the tag type and names that you are interested in. For example I entered user/enter your user id here for my personal station, then in the next box I entered globaltags/progressive rock for their progressive rock station. when you press change, then it will give you more boxes to add more stations. You can find the global tag stations at http://www.last.fm/tags/ to enter.

Thanks for your helpful instructions. However - the above part does not work for me yet. I see the SlimScrobbler plugin on the plugins page (that's the part that uploads the details), but I get no radio settings on the internet radio page. So I cannot connect to the LastFM. radio. Maybe anyone has any useful suggestions for this?
Or maybe just the link to the Last.FM radio station that I can put into the 'tune in' section on the Slimserverhomepage?

Using SlimServer Version: 6.2b1 - 4645 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

superbad
2005-10-16, 14:52
I am using 6.2 and for this version the login details are on the Internet Radio tab of Server Settings and not plugins. Right at the top you can enter your username and password.

Thanks! That did it- I was being pretty thick after all.

However, I still can't get it to play. I just get the "Press play to connect to lastfm" message, and nothing happens. I also can't get it to show up on the web interface. I'll keep messing with it.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-17, 02:12
Can I ask all having problems with the LastFM plugin to move over to the
LastFM plugin thread going on in the third party plugins forum?
Otherwise I will get all confused trying to help with 2 threads at the
same time...

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

moobaa
2005-10-17, 19:48
6) It will drive your competitive spirit to listen to more music when you see
how many more songs your friends have listened to than you.

7) You'll find yourself becoming frustrated when you listen to music that isn't
being 'Scrobbed, because it doesn't 'count.'

Soooooooo true... :)

http://www.last.fm/user/moobaa

Especially number 7. Does anyone know of a portable MP3 player that doesn't interface with iTunes, yet maintains a history (XML?) of all the tracks played by the device?

eq72521
2005-10-18, 08:20
Wow, that's soooo weird because my wife did the same thing...listened to a bunch of Kelly Clarkson and made it on to my weekly top 10...luckily though, my last.fm account tells me that "You don't have any friends", so there's no one to make fun of me...
#!/ben

From the context of these posts, I assume it is a good thing that I have no idea who this Kelly Clarkson is.