PDA

View Full Version : Internet radio - limitations?

merlinmurph
2005-10-11, 05:04
Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Squeezebox2, and am wondering about accessing radio stations and any limitations there may be both with and without a PC (using SqueezeNetwork).

For example, to listen to thepointfm.com, the PC has to have Abacast installed. Would Squeezebox2 still work with this?

I guess my general question is, is it true that if the PC can play it, then Squeezebox2 can work with it?

How about SqueezeNetwork? I've seen no details regarding this. Could I get some detail regarding this?

Thanks!
Merlinmurph

mherger
2005-10-11, 07:14
> I guess my general question is, is it true that if the PC can play it,
> then Squeezebox2 can work with it?

I'm sure you could theretically always find some workaround. But basically
there's support for MP3, WAV, FLAC, WMA (without DRM!) native in the SB2.
Others like RealAudio or Ogg can be used with the help of some transcoders
and plugins. But Abacast? Never heard before...

> How about SqueezeNetwork? I've seen no details regarding this. Could I
> get some detail regarding this?

SQN does support, what the SB2 can play natively (wma will soon be ready).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

merlinmurph
2005-10-11, 07:21
Yeah, Abacast is a "tiny plug-in for your Windows Media Player" (from pointfm.com website). I just wasn't sure how this would work...

Thanks,
Merlinmurph

slimpy
2005-10-11, 14:13
Just to make things clear: you cannot just use any plugin for windows media player et al with slimserver. The plugins Michael mentioned are tailored to slimserver.
You're always welcome to write your own plugin if the one you're looking for does not yet exist!

regards,
S.

gingerneil
2005-10-12, 03:49
Talksport uses Abacast too - however if you use URLSnooper you can see the actual mms stream that is coming into the PC (google for it). This can be used directly with the SB2. As far as I understand it, Abacast is just a company that provides the streaming ability to the radio station. They instal a little plugin to make you use their service - prob provides stats or something for them. Easily avoided though.. :)

merlinmurph
2005-10-12, 05:18
Abacast provides a more efficient way to distribute the media stream to users. Instead of all the clients getting their stream from the server, clients actually redistribute their stream to other clients. It eases up the necessary resources on the server and provides more scalability (supposedly...).
http://www.abacast.com/company/technology.php

Anyway... this all gets back to what limitations are there when using the Sqeezebox2 to listen to Internet radio. Apparently, this may be one. I'd just like to know what the limitations are before buying one. I admit, the Squeezebox2 is a really cool product.

Merlinmurph

gingerneil
2005-10-12, 05:37
pah.. marketting balls! have a try with URLsnooper, grab the stream info and pop it into WMP or slim/softsqueeze.
Fair enough, if evenone did this they may have probs as they wont have scaled their servers for it... but one of you shouldn't make a difference!

merlinmurph
2005-10-25, 07:34
Gang,

Thanks for the tip in URLSnooper - that did the trick. I got my Squeezebox2 and was trying to get www.pointfm.com to work with it. I don't like screwing up the Abacast distribution, but if there's no other alternative, I have no choice.

Thanks again,
Merlinmurph

gingerneil
2005-10-25, 08:01
glad it worked.. happy to help!