PDA

View Full Version : Problem when not running as a service

AaronS
2005-10-10, 11:52
Hello

I am on the verge of buying a Squeezebox, but want to be confident it'll work first. Using the iTunes update plug-in is essential for me.

In order to get it to work (I'm on Win XP), as you'll probably know, I need to stop Slimserver running as a service.

However, when I do this, and launch the server myself, I get serious buffering problems on the PC I'm using to listen to the Slimserver output (this is on a wired network).

When I allow Slimserver to run as a service, through the tray icon, I have no buffering problems at all.

Anyone come across this, or got a solution?

bishopdonmiguel
2005-10-10, 12:47
> In order to get it to work (I'm on Win XP), as you'll probably
> know, I need to stop Slimserver running as a service.

Not sure I follow. Why can't you run SS as a service under XP?

AaronS
2005-10-10, 13:31
Because the 'iTunes update' plugin doesn't work if you run Slimserver as a service.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-10-10, 13:41
> Because the 'iTunes update' plugin doesn't work if you run
> Slimserver as a service.

Interesting. I don't use it but are you sure this isn't due to system permissions? Have you tried setting the service credentials to one that has access to the iTunes data?

AaronS
2005-10-10, 14:07
Um, no. I don't really know how I would do that..

Thanks for the input though. It's well know that the iTunes update plugin has this limitation.. but if you know a way around it, I think a lot of people would be very pleased to hear it!

bishopdonmiguel
2005-10-10, 14:20
> Um, no. I don't really know how I would do that.

By default, all Windows services run under the "Local System" account. This is a powerful account but it does have limitations for security purposes. If you have administrator privledges, you can change the service to run under any local or domain account (with service rights) by modifying the service settings.

To do this, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and find the SlimServer service. Double-click (or right-click Properties) and select the "Log On" tab. Under "Log On As" you should see "Local System Account" selected. Click the radio button next to "This Account" and enter an account and password that has privledges to your iTunes stuff (probably your logon account). Click Ok, then stop and restart the service (by right clicking and selecting or using the stop/start icons at the top of the Services screen.

Depending upon other local/domain security settings, your network configuration, the location of your media files, etc., this may or may not work without tweaking something else. Without additional information about your system, I can't offer much more.

Good luck. Let me know if it works or not.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-10-10, 15:02
> It's well know that the iTunes update plugin has this limitation.

I did a little checking on the author's website for the iTunes Plugin. The reference to OLE may indicate that changing the logon credentials isn't what's required. Because services normally do not interact with the user through the GUI, I am not sure OLE will work in this context. If you are running the service on the same workstation that runs iTunes, a possible workaround (rather than changing the service credentials) would be to allow the service to "Interact With The Desktop". You do this on the same Services page as the logon credentials but you must set the service account to "Local System". This may enable the plugin's OLE connection with iTunes. Doing this on a remote server based installation would probably not be advisable.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-11, 00:25
I really did try all of the service options when writing the plugin, and
I couldn't get the OLE connection to iTunes to work at all.
Given that the other OLE based plugin that comes with SlimServer
(MusicMagic?) also said not to run as a service I gave in at this point.
I'd love someone to get this to work as it accounts for almost all the
problems people have with the plugin!

Now, to get back on subject. Running SS 'interactively' should make no
difference to performance, in fact some people believe it performs
better than the service.

So what might be the problem? Well, when running interactively, iTunes
Update actually works...

I suspect that the updates to the iTunes Library are causing SlimServer
to rescan the library after each track finishes - what's your iTunes
rescan interval set to? The default of 60s is not suitable when using
iTunes Update.

I have mine disabled (rescan interval set to 0) and schedule a rescan
for the middle of the night.

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

AaronS
2005-10-11, 08:38
That's it, thanks so much. Is working a treat.

And huge thanks for the plug-in as well, it's fantastic.

Time to get the credit card out.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-10-11, 18:56
> Running SS 'interactively' should make no difference to
> performance, in fact some people believe it performs
> better than the service.

Windows workstations are generally set to give CPU priority to "foreground" applications. Accordingly, most of the background services (including SlimServer) will receive a lower overall priority and appear less responsive depending on the system configuration. So the "perception" that it might perform better "interactively" is probably accurate for those running SlimServer on their local box. Of course, there are advantages to running in service mode (i.e. starts automatically and you can't accidentally shut it down), especially when installed on a dedicated application server that is configured to give priority to background tasks.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-10-11, 18:59
> That's it, thanks so much. Is working a treat.

Good to hear. For the record, what was it specifically that did the trick? It would be good to know should I ever get the notion to install the iTunes thingy.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-10-12, 02:19
Actually I was talking nonsense there.
It has been remarked in the past that the non-compiled version of SS
runs faster on Windows than the compiled/.exe version.
Nothing to do with the service - and no-one's ever been able to back
that up with facts though!

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

AaronS
2005-10-12, 08:05
>For the record, what was it specifically that did the trick? It would be good to know should I ever get the notion to install the iTunes thingy.

The suggestion of disabling the automatic rescan, and replacing it with a daily scan.

"I suspect that the updates to the iTunes Library are causing SlimServer
to rescan the library after each track finishes - what's your iTunes
rescan interval set to? The default of 60s is not suitable when using
iTunes Update.

I have mine disabled (rescan interval set to 0) and schedule a rescan
for the middle of the night."

kdf
2005-10-12, 09:48
Quoting "Craig, James (IT)" <James.Craig (AT) morganstanley (DOT) com>:

> Actually I was talking nonsense there.
> It has been remarked in the past that the non-compiled version of SS
> runs faster on Windows than the compiled/.exe version.
> Nothing to do with the service - and no-one's ever been able to back
> that up with facts though!

count me in on that one. Strictly subjective. The only thing close to 'proof'
was a difference in overall scanning time. I'm not sure how much difference
there would be now, given that scanning is currently much faster than when I
last ran the EXE (pre-slimtray). Profiling only showed that I must be
crazy. Even then, I still felt like the remote response was slower. It
is, however,
difficult to completely remove all variables when comparing. The host pc was
also a bit underpowered.
-kdf