PDA

View Full Version : Unreliable Wireless Connection

jonolumb
2005-10-10, 04:51
Hi there
My Squeezebox2 seems to be behaving oddly with my wireless network. I have a Dlink DSL-G604T wireless router and I run WEP security at the moment (WPA option is also available). If the router has been running for a while then my Squeezebox wont connect to it. It finds the network ssid on its own, I enter the key and it times out. However, if I restart the Access point and try to connect, it normally works. I have tried without encryption (for testing purposes) and it behaved similarly.
Once a connection is established, the squeezebox has NEVER dropped it. I mean that- its worked for weeks. However, as soon as the router is reset, I have problems getting it back on.
The router is running on the latest firmware (August 2005).
An interesting thing to note is that often on the wireless signal strength screen on the squeezebox (whilst not connected), the signal will be at 76% or so, then 80%, and then suddenly drop to 0% for a few seconds. I have tried all 13 channels to no avail- the squeezebox still times out on connect. I only have two neighbours and even those are not of great proximity. In netstumbler, only one wireless AP (mine) shows up.
I have tried reducing the beacon interval, changing the DTIM number etc... MAC filtering is also switched off.
Can anybody suggest what might be the problem- could it compatibility? If so, which wireless access points are known to be rock solid with the squeezebox and support WPA2 (i'd like to move to this but the squeezebox wont connect to the router at all with WPA2). I would ideally like to fix the problem on my current all in one router but if no solution is available then I am willing to spend a bit.
Thanks
Jonathan

MrC
2005-10-10, 08:58
I'm wondering if your MAC address is being hit with the MAC address corruption bug, and your AP is rejecting the changed address.

What version of slimserver are you running, and which firmware version is in your SB2?

subsub
2005-10-10, 12:13
This struck a chord with me. I have 3 squeezeboxes and the same router (DSL-G604T). Two out of the three work without a hitch. The third one refuses to detect the network. It finds the SSID no problem.

It has the same problem as yours in that the wireless strength drops to zero occasionally, even when it is next to the router and the signal strength is 98-100%.

It works fine on an ethernet (wired) connection. I was going to return it as faulty.

jonolumb
2005-10-10, 14:02
I am running the latest beta (today's) of slimserver and firmware number 24. However, this problem has been here since I got the squeezebox. I am interested to hear that someone else with this router has the same problem as me. Is the squeezebox faulty or does this look like a wireless incompatiblilty issue or the MAC address bug you suggested.
Thanks for both replies
Jono

jonolumb
2005-10-10, 14:09
the MAC address displayed in my routers config matches the MAC address on the label on the bottom of my squeezebox so it doesnt look as if it has been corrupted (unlike in some of the other posts).
This looks like it could be something to do with that router?
Jono

CavesOfTQLT
2005-10-10, 14:28
I had the same issues with my SB2 and Belkin Pre-N router, including the unexplained 0% signal strength problem when both were placed next to each other.

Things got so bad it got to the point where I was going to sell my 6 week old SB2 on eBay due to all the hassle I was having.

As a last resort I e-mailed Belkin, told them the problems I was having streaming music (I didn't tell them it was to an SB2), and they suggested turning on the UPnP function. So I did, and since then (2 weeks ago) I've played, stopped, searched, listened to internet radio, and done loads I can think of to try to reproduce the problem but without success. I still can't understand why enabling UPnP seems to have worked, especially as Sean says the SB2 doesn't use the UPnP system. But, touch wood, since turning it on it's been working like a charm playing music with no break-ups or disconnections. One thing I did notice is that when I activated it the wireless signal strength dropped from 90%+ to around 75%.

Anyway, it may be worth checking it out if your router has this function.

rme
2005-10-10, 18:54
Unfortunately this won't help you, but I have the same exact problem with the Dlink DI-624 router. It usually won't reconnect unless I put it in a magical space where it suddenly connects, even though signal strenth is 40%+. When connected, it usually goes to 0%, then 100%, then counts down to about the normal signal strength of 40% or so.

Very annoying on the reconnection issue, however.

I am not at home, but I am not sure if there is a Upnp setting to turn off like the Belkin as suggested previously. I will try this weekend.

Edit... By the way, I don't have 2.4ghz telephones in my house and my 2 wireless notebook computers have no problems connecting to or keeping the wireless connections when placed in the same area as the sb2 for testing purposes.

jonolumb
2005-10-11, 01:07
I'll try enabling Upnp tonight.
I'm sure I've done that before and it may have worked (without me realising that this was the thing that made it worked!)
Fingers crossed, I'll let you know
Jonathan

jonolumb
2005-10-11, 12:50
I've enabled UpnP and there is no difference, the squeezebox will only connect when the router is turned off at the plug then back on again and only within a minute or two of doing that. Furthermore, even this is not always reliable.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jono

jonolumb
2005-10-12, 06:31
Here are some screenshots of the wireless settings and wireless performance settings taken from the router web interface.
Can anybody help me out.(i've cropped them if you thought they looked a bit odd!!)
Jono
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/zenithuk/forums/performance.gif
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/zenithuk/forums/wireless.gif

MrC
2005-10-12, 09:02
Ok, here's your problem. You've entered a passphrase as your encrytption key. This is not allowed in your router, nor with WEP. You need to use hex digits only, which are 0-9A-F (0 through 9, and A through F). Look at the example at the bottom of your setup page (second screen shot posted here).

And you need exactly 26 hex digits for your 128 bit encryption.

wr420
2005-10-12, 09:15
Exactly 26 characters?

Matt Alioto
malioto (AT) acpac (DOT) com

Don't let education interfere with your learning...

>
> Ok, here's your problem. You've entered a passphrase as your
> encrytption key. This is not allowed in your router, nor with WEP.
> You need to use hex digits only, which are 0-9A-F (0 through 9, and A
> through F). Look at the example at the bottom of your setup page
> (second screen shot posted here).
>
> And you need exactly 16 hex digits for your 128 bit encryption (128
> bits / 8 bits per byte = 16 bytes = 16 chars).
>
>
> --
>
> MrC
>

MrC
2005-10-12, 09:21
Yes, of course, early morning math should not be attempted, even by a trained professional. Sigh.

Exact 26 characters, as per instructions at the bottom of the page.

radish
2005-10-12, 09:59
Ok, here's your problem. You've entered a passphrase as your encrytption key. This is not allowed in your router, nor with WEP. You need to use hex digits only, which are 0-9A-F (0 through 9, and A through F). Look at the example at the bottom of your setup page (second screen shot posted here).

And you need exactly 26 hex digits for your 128 bit encryption.

Errmm I might be being really dumb here but I just assumed he replaced the real hex key with that string before taking the screenshot due to paranoia. I'd be very surprised if the router let him submit an invalid key.

jonolumb
2005-10-12, 10:35
yeh i just wiped the string and typed that in instead
the real string is a completely valid hex key that works with my laptops (and even with my squeezebox sometimes).
Jono

MrC
2005-10-12, 10:56
There is at least one report that indicates the D-Link interface does not fully validate some encryption key input strings:

And it doesn't help when the management software will let you save a 6 character WPA string, when it should know damn well that the minimum length is 8. (So at one point I had a fully saved key in the 604, that none of the other devices could send to it because windows won't let you.)

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=110551&thread=184

Nonetheless, you are probably correct Radish, and that the key is not the issue here ( i should have re-read the thread more carefully).

A number of people with your D-Link model seem to have similar problems. A good support forum for your model is:

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=110551&thread=184

jonolumb
2005-10-12, 13:10
MrC
thank you very much for your help
I will go and do some reading up now
If worst comes to worst, i'll get a linksys access point and plug it into the router and turn the routers access point off
Jono