PDA

View Full Version : Wireless drop-outs, wrong diagnosis?

Fifer
2005-10-10, 02:04
This might fall into 'the bleeding obvious' category, but I suspect that in many cases, people may be blaming their SB, wireless network components or the topology and structure of their home for drop-outs which are really caused by mains switching interference.

My wireless network is working very well but I still suffer occasional drop-outs, many of which I know are caused by mains switching and others which I strongly suspect are. The definites are caused by various actions such as switching lights on or off, switching appliances off at the socket switch and even lifting the cordless kettle from it's base when the only thing powered on it in the neon. I suspect that other drop-outs are caused by automatic switching of things like compressors on fridges and freezers, central heating pumps and boiler controllers, external security lights and other stuff which comes off or on automatically and out of sight.

I'm not sure what the fix is though. If the interference is carried to the SB along the power line then it's more easily resolved but (if as I suspect) it's spurious RF, short of fitting suppressors all over the house I'm at a bit of a loss. Fortunately for me, it's not a massive problem and in any case, I'm just about to move house and the new place might be a less RF noisy environment.

I'm just posting this to make people aware that there's potentially a non-SB, non network cause of their drop-out problems.

MrC
2005-10-10, 09:13
Absolutely!

Wireless is still pretty nascent technology, and its troubles are compounded by the things you mention, as well as other things. People expect their $25 USD routers/APs to perform magically, without troubles, and then are mystified by the occurrence of dropouts and interference. And of course, its easiest to blame the new hardware kid in the block - their new SB.